PDA

View Full Version : Changes in working hours

MagdalenaS
30-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone.

I have quick question.

I want to change my working hours. It will be finishing at 5.30pm instead of 6pm.
I checked my contract and there is only 14 day notice for parents if they want to change hours. There is no notice time for my changes.

Would you give 14 day notice or maybe 4 weeks.

I'm childminding for only a year and learning on my mistakes :)

Any toughs, advises will be greater help.

Thank you

Magda

blue bear
30-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Personally I would char with the parents and see when it would fit in. Depends if you are worried they might leave if they don't agree to the new hours.

When I changed my hours and asked a parent if it would work for her she jumped at the chance and changed them that week which suited me.

TAZ
30-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I would speak to the parents as soon as possible, if it's convenient to them, they may be happy to change straight away. If they required child care till 6pm then they will need to make other arrangements and will out of courtesy (even if not in contract) need some time.

I have some parents who it would be no problem to and others who have a specific pick up time as that is when they can get back from work.

mrs robbie williams
31-12-2012, 08:32 AM
id LOVE to not finish at 630 each day but mum works in a shop and her shift is 1-6 so if i changed my minding hours i would lose her

The Juggler
31-12-2012, 11:45 AM
i agree with teh advice given hon. you are in danger of losing them if you just change hours. think carefully about it.

Best thing to do is chat with parents (as suggested above) and test the waters, say you are finding it hard, how would it affect them if they had to collect earlier etc, etc. I would guauge their response and decide what to do.

when I have dropped hours/days before it has been by 'natural wastage', as people left I took on jobs with less hours or people who could manage with teh fact I don't work Thursdays.

If you are really struggling with the hours though, then you need to chat with parents, make your decision to drop hours anyway and then give notice to do so. If they do have to leave, you can help then find someone else and advertise for new parents yourself. Just be careful though as miffed parents might tell other parents what happened. :panic: