PDA

View Full Version : Holidays

freddysrevenge
27-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I am deciding whether to charge for school holidays even though some parents do not want childcare during this time. I thought I would fill school holidays easily, but I am not getting any parents needing school holiday cover in my area. I am finding that I am short financially during half term. Do other childminders charge a full days fee when parents are not wanting school holiday cover? Do other childminders charge for bank holidays even though their setting is closed on those dates? Thanks. :)

bunyip
27-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Each CM does what suits them best. I guess a lot depends on how you present it to the parents.

As a rule, I prefer to charge only for actual hours minded, which both I and the clients find rather easier to work with. So if parents want a TTO arrangements, they know they're going to pay a higher rate (I do have to make it worthwhile working). I give TTO families an option to make holiday bookings in addition, but make no guarantee of availability. Put simply, they are fully aware they can't have it both ways: If it's all year round, then they'd pay me for their absences; if it's TTO, then they've no entitlement to demand my availability, though I'll do it if needed and if it suits me at the time. :)

I did once have a parent visit who baulked at the fee I offered: all-inclusive, TTO, only charging for the actual hours I worked. (I didn't make a second offer, as I knew the fee was well within her means.) Instead, she signed with a CM friend of mine who offered a lower basic fee, plus payment for holidays, meals, toddler group, trips, etc, etc. She's actually paying my friend more than she would've paid me, and we get on well enough to have a laugh about it. :laughing: Some people. :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
27-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I charge full fee for their holidays nothing for mine. I also am TTO only (suits me) so I work out my fees over 12 months so I get so much every month :thumbsup:

I dont charge for bhs as Im again unavailable.

But you will find some cms do the same as me - some charge for holidays and bhs its entirely up to you.

TAZ
27-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I have some children on TTO contracts, others on year round contracts. It works for me as I have 4 children of my own & therefore happy to be a bit quieter childminding during holidays. I also do extra hours for some of the children on an ad hoc basis & occasionally have a child's school-age sibling in the holiday.
Although this means different income each month I'm aware of that and can budget accordingly.

The Juggler
27-12-2012, 11:30 PM
i don't charge for school hols and offer fee free term time only contracts.

however, I spread the costs over 12 months but parents sign an agreement to say they know they are underpaying each month and if the contract ends before 31st August in any year they will have to pay the final months fees along with any underpayment :thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
28-12-2012, 12:55 AM
I don't charge for school holidays on term time only contracts but I charge a higher hourly rate by £1 per hour :thumbsup: