PDA

View Full Version : What do you have for tea on Christmas Eve?

Maza
23-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Do you treat it like any other day or do you have a tradition? I just don't want to make a mess as I want to chill out in the evening (and of course set out the presents and stockings etc.) and not do my usual cleaning and scrubbing. Am tempted to get a take away but can't really justify the cost of it after all the spending I have done lately!

vals
23-12-2012, 08:46 PM
we always have a pizza delivery.there is always enough to keep for tea on xmas day, and boxing day!

Maza
23-12-2012, 08:50 PM
we always have a pizza delivery.there is always enough to keep for tea on xmas day, and boxing day!

Mmmm, pizza! Sounds fab, might be tempted...

Toothfairy
23-12-2012, 09:07 PM
We always have a nice picky tea on Christmas Eve.
Last year we had home made soup and crusty bread with hot sausage rolls and nibbles. This year we are having baked Camenbert with crusty bread accompanied by an olive oil and balsamic dip.
Then we always have cheese and biscuits for pudding.

FussyElmo
23-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Depends on how i feel. Like to do steak, chips mushrooms etc but also known to scrap that idea and have a buffet style tea. Wouldnt refuse a take away neither.

What ever the mood takes :)

PixiePetal
23-12-2012, 09:21 PM
We always have a nice picky tea on Christmas Eve.
Last year we had home made soup and crusty bread with hot sausage rolls and nibbles. This year we are having baked Camenbert with crusty bread accompanied by an olive oil and balsamic dip.
Then we always have cheese and biscuits for pudding.

thanks for reminding me we need camembert - what are my chances of getting some tomorrow as I want it for the evening? Love it baked :)

we usually have an Indian takeaway but as we have family coming over think it 'will be a help yourself' dinner! I have mini burgers in the freezer and samosas etc too

little chickee
23-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm doing a beef stew in the slow cooker. Nice and simple, not much washing up and a family favourite.:thumbsup:

TAZ
23-12-2012, 09:36 PM
We've got my in-laws coming to stay tomorrow so we'll be having a sit down meal - sweet and sour pork chops, jacket potato & veg. Then lots of washing up!

cathtee
23-12-2012, 09:42 PM
We always have a chinese takeaway delivered around 6.30 then chill for the rest of the evening as I've usually done all the prep for xmas
dinner can't wait :)

Joda
23-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Usually have a Chinese takeaway, however, this year I'm organised and have taken a Spag Bol out of the freezer to have for tea tomorrow!

migimoo
23-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I'll cook my gammon joint tomorrow (I boil it in Coca Cola-thank you Nigella) ready to have with the turkey xmas day but we'll have some for tea xmas eve with homemade chips....nom nom!

The Juggler
23-12-2012, 10:04 PM
different every year - also don't want to mess up kitchen - lol

pizza delivery
salad
leg of pork - warm and sliced in crusty bread
tommorrow (chosen by kids) bacon sarnies in sliced crusty tiger bread - yummy!

singingcactus
23-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Normal day here. And on a normal day we have what we want, same as christmas day. I think I would hate for my food choices to be boxed in by tradition. Haven't really thought about dinner for tomorrow, so haven't got anything out the freezer, so will probably be either pasta with minced beef or fish and noodles.

watgem
24-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm going to try a veg casserle with chestnuts in it I saw Nigel slater making on tv, not sure what my meatatarian kids/hubby will make of it but I thought it looked lovely

amanda1309
24-12-2012, 10:21 AM
We are having pork chops home made chips and beans tonight.

Usually have a take away but dh is at work so I'm doing tea for when he will be in.

rickysmiths
24-12-2012, 11:29 AM
We always have Halibut with Parsley Sauce, Dauphinoise Potatoes and peas. Dh has Salmon because he doesn't like the Halibut!

Dauphinoise about to go in the oven because we are having it for lunch today because we are going to friends tonight for supper.

karensmart4
24-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Normally we have something like a Salmon Flan home made chips and salad or peas, but this year my 4yr old grandson and 7yr old grandaughter are coming around at 4 o'clock to help me make a gingerbread house and then we are having a buffet tea before taking them home to mum and dad :D

WibbleWobble
24-12-2012, 03:17 PM
we ALWAYS have an M&S buffet on xmas eve. Its the law!

DD1 only comes home because of the buffet (or so she says)

wibble xxxx

Trouble
24-12-2012, 04:14 PM
We are having a buffet tea today:clapping:

MrsP2C
24-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Indian takeaway here :clapping:

rickysmiths
24-12-2012, 05:32 PM
We always have Halibut with Parsley Sauce, Dauphinoise Potatoes and peas. Dh has Salmon because he doesn't like the Halibut!

Dauphinoise about to go in the oven because we are having it for lunch today because we are going to friends tonight for supper.

It was yummy! Finished the cooking so off to have a shower before we go out. Then just a bit of wrapping when I get back while the ham boils. :clapping:

Mummits
26-12-2012, 05:57 PM
We had jambalaya - to be a bit different from all the roast dinners coming up. I do actually love roast dinner, but as far as my husband is concerned it's not real food unless it has chilli!