PDA

View Full Version : what should I do

jane5
21-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi, I need some advice,

I have a parent that is reducing the hours I care for her child from 2 days to 1 day. I am happy with this arrangement and told parent that I need 4 weeks notice in writing stating the last day of care on the day for the Monday that is ending.

I am on unpaid holiday for 2 weeks and mum has included these 2 weeks in the notice period. I have Morton Michel contracts and they state a 4 week notice period but doesnt say anything about unpaid holidays.

It states at the end "This contract is governed by the laws of England"

I have a good relationship with this family and they paid a 4 week deposit to be used for the notice period at the end of the contract and they pay a month in advance so I have the money but I want to do what is fair but I dont want to be out of pocket when they have halfed the hours.

What do you think I should do, should I accept 2 weeks pay or not and how do I word it to her? Mum works in HR for a large company.

pinkbutterfly
22-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I had the same happen to me twice however my contracts clearly state the notice period must not include any holiday. I have good relationship with both sets of parents and I didn't want to jeopardise it over £25 especially as they both brought some new business my way so I let it go. I guess it just depends how much money you're talking about and if you have the bit where the notice cannot include holiday.

wendywu
23-12-2012, 01:48 AM
I thought that your notice should be 4 weeks paid. :angry:

rickysmiths
23-12-2012, 09:58 AM
If you have taken a Deposit that is to be used to cover the notice period then you have been paid for the four weeks notice. Do a new Contract for the new hours and take a new deposit to represent the new hours.