PDA

View Full Version : Worried about new contract

butterfly
20-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I've got a new child starting in jan one day per week - 2.5 yrs old.

Child's been at a non registered 'childminder' since 9 mths and goes one morning per week to local PRE school.

Mum emailed asking for space as other 'cm' is giving up. She visited (at tea time - 30 mins late) and I gave her the tour, showed her my stuff etc. she was fine - is an early years teacher so interested in activities etc.

Anyway after chasing her she said she did want the space but asked quite a few questions about fees - hol fees, paying in advance etc

I then gave her all paperwork. She queried my invoice, asked about hol fees again. Tonight I've had another email querying late fees, how much I'll charge if she's late, asking how flexible the contract is, can she cancel it whenever she wants, can she cancel in July and not pay retainer over summer hols etc. I've answered all her questions but I'm left with a very uneasy feeling.

I don't feel like she trusts me and I'm concerned she's going to be questioning every invoice.

I know she's not used a registered cm before so hasn't done paperwork and proper fees etc but I thought as a teacher she'd know about this stuff. I've never been questioned so much before!

What should I do?

helena_j
20-12-2012, 09:08 PM
I would say follow your instincts and def make sure she is paying in advance just incase etc. I am fairly new to minding and had a family mess me around who wanted summer holiday care, she came and visited then called to say she would like her two children to come to me. Struggled getting hold of her to complete paperwork in the end I assumed nothing was coming of it. She then called half way through the hols and said one child was ill but wanted to proceed with care the following week! I agreed and asked her to come and complete paperwork she agreed and I asked she also bring deposit for the first week at time of signing temp contract, she never showed never replied to messages or calls I made either. So glad I didn't get caught out and have them and not get paid which I think was what she had in her mind!

silvermist
20-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Im just wondering why she would use an unregistered childminder but then its probably because its cheaper and no official paperwork. I wouldnt go for it if that an option xx

mum24
20-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I think I would have to be very very clear, short precise sentences, holiday pay this much, term time this much, etc etc
and have her sign to say she understands. She sounds like she may want to be able to change from day to day without paying for the booked day as well. So be very clear if she can do that or not. I would very specifically answer each of her queries. Or just think cannot be bothered with this, and let her go.
Also my invoice is my invoice, unless a glaring mistake, no compromise.
Had far too much of this in the past myself, so try now not to go down that road.

TAZ
31-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Did you sort out a contract with this mindee?

I had an enqiry from a parent who seemed to think if she dropped off late / picked up early she'd be doing me a favour & wouldn't have to pay for those hours. Also suprised that she'd have to pay if her LO was off due to sickness or they were away on holiday. Finally I had to say that it's my business and just as she would have to pay a nursery regularly for childcare she would have to pay me - I think she finally started to get the message, she was still planning to go ahead until I stated that she would be required to pay monthly in advance. She left to have a think (on my recommendation) about whether this was something she could commit to. I didn't hear from her again.

AliceK
31-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Based on past experience I wouldn't touch her. I took on a 4yr old who was in Reception at school. When it came to mindee taking time off during school hols mum queried why she had to pay. I explained she had signed a contract etc. Eventually we swopped it to a TTO contract. Then when mindee was going to move up to Yr 1 at school which is when our local school take children at Breakfast and AS Club she gave me notice to put him there as it was cheaper. This was despite me doing so many favours for her when she was away travelling and me talking to her DS when his teacher told me he had been acting out of character at school and me finding out why and then speaking to his mum and trying to help.
When a parent is questioning so much at such an early stage despite having a contract with it all written down it gives me an uneasy feeling.

xxx