PDA

View Full Version : Parents who don't pay...?

Bumblebee
23-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone,
just thought i'd have a bit of a moan and find out if anyone else has the same problem...
I ask for payment a week in advance but some parents just dont seem to get it :( One of them was due to pay me last monday...but forgot...friday came and still no money, she said she would drop it off saturday morning...still no money - She finally brought it round today, over a week late.
Another mum came this morning with £120.00 cash in an envelope when she knows her fees are £122.50...I know its only £2.50 short....
One of the mum's thought I was being ridiculous asking for payment in advance and thinks that she should only pay me when I have done my work :angry:
I am not the type of person who likes confrontation so I usually let these things pass by without saying anything...I am just about losing the will to live with these parents...
Sorry...just needed to get that of my chest!

Lisa x

bubbly
23-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh man, I could write an essay on this topic but I'll spare you :laughing:

My parents come up with a different excuse every week. I've heard it all :angry: and NOTHING surprises me any more :angry: :angry:

miffy
23-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I think you'll find that most of us have had this sort of problem at one time or another Lisa.

The only way is to be very firm and tough about your charges and when you need paying but that is easier said than done sometimes.

Parents have to realise that you are running a business and need paying and that you not them decide when you should be paid.

They would not like it if their wages were not paid when they expected or were short so why should they expect you too

I do know though that if you accept it they will carry on treating you like this.

miffy xx

elizabeth
23-06-2008, 05:12 PM
They are all great at giving excuses but what if the boot was on the other foot I'm sure they wouldn't stand for it. Imagine if they got their wages late.

Twinkles
23-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Perhaps we should all get together and publish a book ' 101 excuses not to pay your childminder ' I'm sure we could all come up with a few between us. Then we could give them to all new parents just to let them know we've all heard every excuse under the sun :rolleyes:

aims
23-06-2008, 06:05 PM
As hard as it sounds, you need to be firm with them.

What is you policy if there are late payments? I've written into my fee policy that I'll charge for late payment (or when payment isn't in full) as I know that people will jsut take the mike otherwise. I reckon going in with a firm hand is probably the best way forward. Good luck with that.

I ALWAYS pay my childminder on time, a month in advance. I never saw the problem with paying in advance, at the end of the day, she's doing the best job she could for me by looking after my daughter, I could pay her ten times over for that job if I was able to.

Hopefully, I'll have parents who will have the same opinion but I doubt it. Just wait, I'll be on the news or something chasing them down the road with my rolling pin for the money LOL.

Trouble
23-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Also you can add on to the next invoice the outstanding amount from the week before and add a late payment fee its the only way:panic:

Banana
23-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh dear it sounds like everyone has to deal with this at one time or another and its a real pain in the A***.

You will need to put a late payment policy into place and enforce it. Be ready for parents moaning about it but at the end of the day you dont want parents who dont pay on time, they are a waste of space.

I have just had a very nasty situation with a parent after I sent a letter out explaining to parents that my late payment fee would be enforced form june. She terminated the contract there and then with a disgusting letter regarding the care her child received and my professionalism (silly B****) all because I asked her to pay on the day the contract stated. Im glad she's gone now, the late payments were becoming ridiculous and I know that in the future I will be much better at asking for my money on time rather than let it get out of hand.

Be firm otherwise you will end up with parents walking all over you - and take it from me they dont like it when you do eventually stand up to them.

xx

foxy lady
24-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Oh dear it sounds like everyone has to deal with this at one time or another and its a real pain in the A***.

You will need to put a late payment policy into place and enforce it. Be ready for parents moaning about it but at the end of the day you dont want parents who dont pay on time, they are a waste of space.

I have just had a very nasty situation with a parent after I sent a letter out explaining to parents that my late payment fee would be enforced form june. She terminated the contract there and then with a disgusting letter regarding the care her child received and my professionalism (silly B****) all because I asked her to pay on the day the contract stated. Im glad she's gone now, the late payments were becoming ridiculous and I know that in the future I will be much better at asking for my money on time rather than let it get out of hand.

Be firm otherwise you will end up with parents walking all over you - and take it from me they dont like it when you do eventually stand up to them.

xx

oh that sounds awful. havent had this problem yet and all mine pay a month in advance.maybe ive just been lucky hope i havent spoke too soon tho

Hannahlg
24-06-2008, 10:11 AM
well if you have said that you wont payment in adancve i wouldnt look after the child unless there paied on the first week or the forst day of the month (deapeading if there paying weekly or monthly)

Bumblebee
24-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all your advice, nice to know its not only me who's havin the problem x x x :)

Jinx
24-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I have a parent who is supposed to pay me every 2 weeks in advance.
It should have been today, but she forgot again!!!
She forgot a fortnight ago and paid a week late, ie last week, so she said she thought she had paid last week and didn't bring any money this week!!!

I can see a pattern forming here!!!

Jinx x

son77
24-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Be firm!!

Mine pay me a month in advance on the 1st of every month, they have no choice on this.

Atleast this way if I ever have any problem payers (non to date) then I'll never end up out of pocket & will refuse to look after their child.