PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in cars - advise please

PrettyFlowers
19-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I look after a 12 month old who is brought to me in the morning by her Mum and collected in the afternoon by her cousin (to save the parents money) Mum then collects the baby from cousins house a few hours later.

Today, I was going out straight after cousin collected and I saw her light up while driving, with baby in the car. Should I tell the Mum I saw this? Mum knows cousin smokes as she has mentioned it, but I don't know if they have an agreement about smoking around the baby.

I am concerned obviously for the baby's health, also I don't want any come back onto me, as Mum collects baby from cousins so she doesn't know what state she left me in, I am concerned that in the future she may say something like 'Baby always smells of smoke when I collect her', this could get me into serious trouble. I just want to cover myself really, and make sure Mum is aware that this is happening. What should I do?

JCrakers
19-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Not sure how you could drop it into comversation. Somehow without snitching, like you thought she knew.

migimoo
19-12-2012, 05:03 PM
ooh that's a hard one...I thought the government was making it illegal to smoke with children in the car?

Think it would depend how friendly you are with mum-I would feel able to tell any of my parents this but would probably ask that they not mention me as I didn't want any bad atmosphere on collection around LO.....but then i'm a wimp:laughing: anyone could have seen her in the car.

silvermist
19-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I cant bear it if people smoke in the car when theres kiddies in it too! Really winds me up. I would say something to my parents as I know them well enough but not sure if you feel you could do this yourself. Sorry thats not much help really xx

wendywu
19-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I would say..... Can i just mention and if you already know then you are going to have to forgive me for poking my nose in but i need to tell you....................................

Its just that i dont want you to blame me if little .... smells slightly of smoke at any time.

And smile broadly while you are saying it, keep it light hearted.

sarah707
19-12-2012, 05:52 PM
You could pick up a leaflet about smoking dangers and give it to mum for the cousin - say you saw her light up and weren't sure if she understood the risks of smoking around children.

It's not illegal but it is totally unacceptable especially nowadays with the information we have about the dangers :(

wendywu
19-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I bet mum does not know:mad: