PDA

View Full Version : good practice in caring for young children with special needs

childminder54
23-06-2008, 04:48 PM
hi has anybody got this book is it worth buying it is for offsted or if someone has one to sell

veronicaxx

sarah707
23-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Not one I've got - do you have special needs children on your books at the moment?

I suppose it would be useful then :D

breezy
23-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Not heard of it, would only really be appropriate if you had special needs kids on your books

childminder54
23-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I forgot to say ncma are selling it. not last inspection but the time before i was asked about if i was asked to look after a special needed child how would i deal with him and would i know how to look after him..

veronicaxxx

miffy
23-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry can't help you - hadn't heard of this book before your post

miffy xx

kindredspirits
23-06-2008, 09:05 PM
thats a bit of an open ended question - there are a million and one types of special needs. i got the same q on my pre-reg inspection and i just said i would find out everything i could about the condition, ask the parents what they expected me to do, get extra training if i needed to and said that i wasn't scared of looking after children with special needs as two of my best friends as a child had special needs and my mum used to work in a disabled school.

Tatia
24-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Very good point, Kindredspirit. Special needs seems to always be lumped into one category, as if there's a cookie cutter response to dealing with it. I have 3 children with additional needs on my books (from mild to severe) and their needs and care vary so much there's no way 1 book could ever cover it.

The book might be helpful for writing an inclusion policy or code of practice for children with additional needs but personally, I take each case as it comes and research a particular issue so I know what I am dealing with rather than taking a general approach.

You're probably better off nosing about for general info on the internet, printing off and making your own little book. Cheaper and more useful in the long run.

childminder54
25-06-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks for that i dont think i will bother with the book

veronicaxx

Pauline
30-06-2008, 07:37 AM
That is so true, special needs can include dietary requirements too, so could range from being a vegetarian to a child with no movement whatsoever, requiring all round 24/7 care

Pedagog
30-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Three of my children are classed as special needs, but all have very different needs.

My eldest daughter is diabetic, so has medical needs

My youngest daughter is dyspraxic, dyslexic and has a working diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome.

My youngest son has asperger's, hyperlexia, unilateral hearing loss, Chronic lung disease, and various other medical problems.

All three have very different needs.

mimo
15-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I have 2 children on my books at the moment with moderate physicall disabilities .I find the easiest way is just to use your comman sense .Treat them as you would any other child by observing them and seeing what their capabilities are .With guidance from the parents you find they settle into your practice very quickly and bring a wealth of rewards to you.
If you are nervous about taking on a child with speical needs there are some great organizations out there who will help .In my area it is menphys sos. They even lend specialized equipment out if needed.