PDA

View Full Version : The cheek of it!!

JCrakers
19-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a 8yr old mindee who is a handful and makes my job very hard. He's been here for over 5yrs but has become increasingly hard work. There is going to come a time when I've had enough of his behaviour but for now I tolerate it.

Yesterday as Mum arrived he said 'I can't wait until Thursday!!'
I asked him why as I though maybe something special was happening, maybe a school party, games day....

His reply....'cos we get some presents off you'......cheeky so and so.

I didn't know how to reply as it took me back a bit. Mum told him off and I said 'mmm...children who listen will get presents on Thursday'
Lol....meaning he probably won't be getting one!!!

Mouse
19-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Oooh, just how tempting would it be not to give him a present!

buttonmoon11
19-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Oooh, just how tempting would it be not to give him a present!

That's exactly what I thought. Teach the little so and so a lesson for being so rude!!

lynnfi
19-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I do not understand :huh:

Is it considered rude that he has said he can't wait for Thursday to have a present from you?

I would be happy if one of my mindee, old as he/she may be, was saying so, would bring a smile on my face anyway....

Means he trusts you to care enough about him to offer him a present, and he's looking forward to it, just like all children are looking for Christmas morning to receive their presents. Or have I missed something? :huh:

migimoo
19-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I think it's the fact that he's taking it for granted that he's getting a present that's annoyed the OP.

I agree if it was one of my own children saying this to someone i'd be embarrassed as they'd come across as being a bit of a spoilt brat tbh:blush:

Mind you one of my mindees last year, on being told I was just going to get his xmas pressie whilst he waited with mummy...."it'd better not be a boring book or something!".....erm,yes....it WAS a book and mum didn't say a word to him just told him to say thank you.:panic:

Rubybubbles
19-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I have not got my mindies presents this year as we have made lots of home made things. My parents of 2 babies I look after told me they got 2-3 presents for their 1st birthday!

I have spent so much money over the years to not get a thank you so I am not spending £60 this year (used to do £10 per child u only have 6 on books lol)

I would completely be horrified if my dd 8 expected a gift!!! Yes to be excited but to say that I am not surprised your a bit hmmm

JCrakers
19-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Yes it's fine to be excited about recieving a present off me but whose to say I have bought him one. I hadn't said I'd bought him one he just assumed he would be getting one .

If I had said....ooh, wait until Thursday, I have a present for you. And he had replied that he was so excited, that would have been a nice feeling
But just to come out and say it in front of his Mum assuming I had one to give him was rather rude IMO.

It was one of those 'you had to be there' moments :)

TooEarlyForGin?
19-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I do not understand :huh:

Is it considered rude that he has said he can't wait for Thursday to have a present from you?

I would be happy if one of my mindee, old as he/she may be, was saying so, would bring a smile on my face anyway....

Means he trusts you to care enough about him to offer him a present, and he's looking forward to it, just like all children are looking for Christmas morning to receive their presents. Or have I missed something? :huh:

Totally disagree, my children at 11 and 16 are told not to EXPECT anything, we give because we want to, not just because we are getting something in return, my children have been taught (and yes got it wrong many times) to never invite themselves around to peoples houses, stand and shout loudly "I'm thirsty" which is what so many children do now instead of saying "please can I...." always say please and thank you for anything. Maybe this is why kids get away with being rude as its considered "cute".

Also remember the op said he is already and handful and considers him hard work, so not even a cute comment from a little one. At 8 he is being cheeky.

Kiddleywinks
19-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I understand exactly where you're coming from...

I have a very presumptuous 5, almost 6 year old, and it drives me to distraction!

silvermist
19-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I think its rude too as hes just assuming youd got him one!

lynnfi
19-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Yes it's fine to be excited about recieving a present off me but whose to say I have bought him one. I hadn't said I'd bought him one he just assumed he would be getting one .

If I had said....ooh, wait until Thursday, I have a present for you. And he had replied that he was so excited, that would have been a nice feeling
But just to come out and say it in front of his Mum assuming I had one to give him was rather rude IMO.

It was one of those 'you had to be there' moments :)

Oky, I get it now :laughing: Had assumed you had said sth about it to the children. Yes as a mum I'd hide my head in the ground!:D

nipper
19-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Doh:laughing:

Chimps Childminding
19-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I would have thought he was being cheeky too :angry: In fact I would probably have tried to sneak the present to mum without him seeing so he didn't know he was getting one - but I suppose thats not really fair :rolleyes:

Kiddleywinks
19-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I would have thought he was being cheeky too :angry: In fact I would probably have tried to sneak the present to mum without him seeing so he didn't know he was getting one - but I suppose thats not really fair :rolleyes:

I tried that.....

.... little booger opened it in the car as mum was driving

....following day, proudly/smugly/arrogantly told me she'd opened it and knew what I'd got her (has yet to say thank you btw)

...told her that if she was still here next year she wouldn't be getting it till after she'd gone to bed on xmas eve!

My guess is she won't be here next xmas so it won't be a problem then will it :laughing:

wendywu
19-12-2012, 04:52 PM
If this lad has had presents off you for the last 5 years then why would he think that this year would be any different.

Just so long as he said thank you to me for his gift it would be fine with me. :)

JCrakers
19-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Well....

Last year and the year before I had 4 mindees so Xmas pressies were given to all :)
This year I have 15 so he's quite lucky to be getting anything

wendywu
19-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Well....

Last year and the year before I had 4 mindees so Xmas pressies were given to all :)
This year I have 15 so he's quite lucky to be getting anything

Gosh 15, a tube of smarties it is then :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
19-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Gosh 15, a tube of smarties it is then :laughing:

Between them :laughing: That is a lot - 1 usually spend about £5 but I only have 6 mindees - with 15 it would have to be something cheap or on offer like a selection box or books from the book people divided up!

SYLVIA
19-12-2012, 08:23 PM
It really annoys me when children are like that. last year one mindee saw the present i had wrapped for another mindee. He said 'I hope my one's bigger than that one!" Iwas so tempted to change his to a packet of sweets, just to see the expression on his face

silvermist
19-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I bought a set of ten winter stories from the book people for £9.99 and divided them up for my 7 mindees and kept the remaining 3 for my setting, Bargain!!!

LittleLegsCM
20-12-2012, 11:31 PM
We had our Xmas party today so decided to give all mindees their gifts tonight as Fridays are always a bit rushed with an extra nursery run.

5yo girl mindee was getting ready to leave while I was chatting to mum. I had her gift in my hand but hadn't actually told her it was for her or even made any movement to make her think it was hers. She finished putting her shoes on, came running up to me and then tried pulling it out my hand!! :O I was quite shocked but held on tight until she stopped then handed it to mum and said she could take it (as she not here tomorrow anyway) but it was mums decision when she gave it to her after trying to snatch it- mum didnt make her apologise or even say thank you!!

I also have an 9to boy mindee who has been an extreme handful for a few weeks, seems to think everything is a battle and has to argue with everything you say! He put his bowl in the kitchen this evening which seemed to take him a little longer than usual. When he came back in he was being a bit odd and eventually said he was sorry for the way he had been treating me the last few weeks... It wasn't until I went in the kitchen a while after I realised he had obviously been snooping at their presents on the side and realised he may not get it if he continued how he was. cheeky!!