PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice Please!!

smurfette
17-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Child jus arrived mum says he was up coughing a lot in night but no temp.. He has just puked up a good bit of phlegm all over floor .. Wouldn't really call it vomiting, it's really only phlegm that has been sitting on his chest all night. Seems lethargic so was just gonna keep an eye and send him home later if needs be rather than excluding for vomiting?

silvermist
17-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. I kept lo here but monitored his temp etc. I text his mum saying if I felt he was getting worse Id ring her to collect. Trouble is if hes layed with it on chest all night its bound to start moving now up and about. Just keep an eye on things. Hope hes ok xxx

bunyip
17-12-2012, 09:21 AM
If called upon to do so, can you convince both EHO or HPA that the child isn't vomiting? If the phlegm has been sitting on his chest, then it's come from his lungs and airway, in which case he will be coughing it up. If it's come from his stomach, then he's vomiting. If so, then I'd exclude. Simple as.

HPA guidance is clear: exclude for all cases of diarrhoea and/or vomiting, no matter what the cause. FSA require us to keep all cases of diarrhoea and/or vomiting away from the premises under the 48 hour rule. Since you're probably classed as a 'food business' this means your local EHO would have the power to close you down if you failed to do so. :(

Do think carefully: whilst the risk of discovery is small, the possible consequences for your business are catastrophic. Personally I would not take the risk.

waterwaybabies
17-12-2012, 09:56 AM
mucous that has been swallowed and then vomited back up is still classed as vomiting im afraid.:(
you cant be sure that the vomiting was just down to the mucous. cant be too careful with norovirus about.xxx

samb
17-12-2012, 10:19 AM
If he has coughed up phlegm then I wouln't automatically exclude thinking it was vomiting - i would do as you are doing and let mum know if this continues or he gets worse then you will call her to collect. If he is continually coughing up phlegm on your floor it is hardly hygienic and perfectly acceptable to exclude for this due to your duty of care to the others.

nipper
17-12-2012, 10:48 AM
If he does it more than once, pack him off home!

smurfette
17-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks all , it was more of a cough than a vomit. He has slept for an hour but I have woken him up cos his breathing was laboured, he is eating now and it is about 40 per minute .. ??

silvermist
17-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Its a good sign thats hes eating hun xx

mindingmummy08
17-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Just to warn you also that my own two have had a sickness bug last week and the sick was really odd, very mucousy almost like egg whites and snot (sorry). Neither has a cold but the first lot of sick I did think was from the chest or something because it wasn't foody. (sorry again.)

It continued all day I had to keep mopping all the floors and my little girl was actually really poorly all weekend from it. My son has his dads immune system and was fine but had to stay off school for 48 hours.

The Juggler
17-12-2012, 02:04 PM
if he's lethargic and breathing is laboured - send home :panic:

smurfette
17-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks all, he doesn't seem as bad now..thiught he was a bit warm at 11, and since he was runny nosed etc gave him nurofen, he has eaten well all day and is sleeping again now, breathing seems fine now he maybe was stuffed up so just keeping a close eye.: worried me a bit alright!!

Ambersmum
17-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't have children in my care that need nurofen/calpol (unless teething). I feel they should be at home if needing to be dosed up on meds, with mum or dad for one on one and lots of cuddles.