PDA

View Full Version : Safer Food Better Business for Childminders - updated

christine e
16-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Recently received email informing me that the pack has been updated - have copied and pasted below

Safer Food Better Business for Childminders

We have been contacted by the Nottinghamshire Environmental Health Food Liaison Group and I am pleased to tell you that the Food Standards Agency has revised the 'Safer food, better business' (SFBB) pack for childminders.

This pack is for registered childminders or child carers on domestic premises who usually provide meals and drinks for the children in their care. It gives simple, straightforward advice on food safety, including information on feeding babies and children, cooking, cleaning, chilling and looking after a child with a food allergy.

You may already be using the pack and will be interested in the revised version which contains additional information on contamination risks such as from unwashed vegetables and gives updates on allergen advice and disinfection procedures .

If you provide meals, snacks or drinks (apart from mains tap water) for children or babies and/or reheat food provided by a parent/carer, or cut it up, you must comply with food safety and hygiene regulations. “Safer food, better business for childminders” will help you do this.

EDITED by Sarah - the latest pack (Dec 2015) is here - https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/sfbb-childminders-pack.pdf

Regards

loocyloo
16-12-2012, 05:16 PM
thanks xxx

Mouse
16-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Thank you Christine.

hectors house
16-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Thank you - have saved a copy to read later!

sarah707
16-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Thank you Christine! :D

mammumof4
16-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Thank you I will look at that :) x

lynncjt
16-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for pointing this out, I had the original version

Greengrass74
16-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks Christine

miffy
16-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks Christine, you've reminded me I need to sort this out!

Miffy xx

buttonmoon11
17-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Thank you :)

Tink
17-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Thank you I will save a copy to look at later.

k1rstie
17-12-2012, 08:06 AM
thanks, something else to do over Christmas.

thanks for sharing

sarah707
21-12-2012, 09:11 AM
I have read through it and found the following 3 changes -

Food storage and preparation - page 17
NEW - ‘Unwashed fruit and vegetables should also be kept separate from ready-to-eat food and above raw meat.’

Food allergies - page 20
NEW - Table of foods which might cause allergic reactions

Cleaning - page 24
NEW - ‘Cleaning needs to be carried out in two stages. First use a cleaning product to remove visible dirt from surfaces and equipment, and rinse. Then disinfect them following manufacturers instructions and rinse with fresh clean water. If you use an all-in-one spray this should be used first to clean and again to disinfect.’

If anyone has spotted any others please add them to the thread :D

Star
21-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi thank you. I have original one so can just print out relevant pages Sarah has noted. Thank you to both of you and happy Christmas. :)

TAZ
27-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you both for this info. I was about to do a review of my folder anyway, so can now add these bits in. :)

bunyip
27-12-2012, 06:41 PM
If anyone wants to save on paper and ink, remember FSA publications will post a printed copy out if you give them a call. Mine took about a week to arrive. You don't get a new binder and it is hole-punched for a 2-ring binder, not the current 4-ring binder. You can always punch additional holes to make it fit. Alternatively, they do include a big front-cover sticker to use on a plain binder if you prefer.the diary pages and 3-month review are the same as previously, so they can be transferred over for continuity. :)

allison
28-12-2012, 11:02 PM
thank you :)

tas
29-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Thank you! :)

cathtee
29-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks I have just emailed them for a copy :thumbsup:

catminder
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks, will download the new version :thumbsup:
X Alison

RuthJ
02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks for this x

kim-d
02-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Recently received email informing me that the pack has been updated - have copied and pasted below

Safer Food Better Business for Childminder
::):)
We have been contacted by the Nottinghamshire Environmental Health Food Liaison Group and I am pleased to tell you that the Food Standards Agency has revised the 'Safer food, better business' (SFBB) pack for childminders.

This pack is for registered childminders or child carers on domestic premises who usually provide meals and drinks for the children in their care. It gives simple, straightforward advice on food safety, including information on feeding babies and children, cooking, cleaning, chilling and looking after a child with a food allergy.

You may already be using the pack and will be interested in the revised version which contains additional information on contamination risks such as from unwashed vegetables and gives updates on allergen advice and disinfection procedures .

If you provide meals, snacks or drinks (apart from mains tap water) for children or babies and/or reheat food provided by a parent/carer, or cut it up, you must comply with food safety and hygiene regulations. “Safer food, better business for childminders” will help you do this.

You can download the revised full pack in pdf format (2.5MB) http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/sfbbchldmdrsfull.pdf or download individual parts of the pack, set out section by section. If you cannot down load the pack or would like to order a copy call FSA Publications on 0845 606 0667 or email foodstandards@ecgroup.co.uk.

Regards
Thanks for letting us know will pass this information on to my network :)

lisbet
19-05-2013, 02:44 PM
I have read through it and found the following 3 changes -

Food storage and preparation - page 17
NEW - ‘Unwashed fruit and vegetables should also be kept separate from ready-to-eat food and above raw meat.’

Food allergies - page 20
NEW - Table of foods which might cause allergic reactions

Cleaning - page 24
NEW - ‘Cleaning needs to be carried out in two stages. First use a cleaning product to remove visible dirt from surfaces and equipment, and rinse. Then disinfect them following manufacturers instructions and rinse with fresh clean water. If you use an all-in-one spray this should be used first to clean and again to disinfect.’

If anyone has spotted any others please add them to the thread :D

Just comparing my old version to the new ahead of a Food Safety visit and noticed:

Cleaning:
Cloths, tea towels etc should be washed at 82 degrees or above.

mrs robbie williams
19-05-2013, 03:17 PM
It is a legal requirement to keep a record of what food products you have bought, who you bought them from, the quantity and date. Usually the easiest way to do this is to keep all your receipts, even for small amounts. This is so that – if there is a safety problem with food you have provided – you or an enforcement officer from your local authority can check the details of the food. Just read this bit????? Please tell me i havnt got to do this??????

sarah707
19-05-2013, 03:25 PM
It is a legal requirement to keep a record of what food products you have bought, who you bought them from, the quantity and date. Usually the easiest way to do this is to keep all your receipts, even for small amounts. This is so that – if there is a safety problem with food you have provided – you or an enforcement officer from your local authority can check the details of the food. Just read this bit????? Please tell me i havnt got to do this??????

We've always had to keep our food receipts - it's not new.

It's so that food can be traced from source to plate in case of food poisoning.

You don't have to keep them forever - my LA advise 3 months :D

sarah707
19-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Just comparing my old version to the new ahead of a Food Safety visit and noticed:

Cleaning:
Cloths, tea towels etc should be washed at 82 degrees or above.

Well spotted lisbet! I didn't see that one! :D

mrs robbie williams
19-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Oh yes I do that I thought it meant write it all down phew

winstonian
19-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for this

supermumy
20-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Got an email back saying they are not sending out any paper copies and to download a copy :(

sarahmc
20-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Got an email back saying they are not sending out any paper copies and to download a copy :(

I've done the same but it's 50 pages long!

Optimalstar
20-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I've done the same but it's 50 pages long!

Not looked to print yet but can't you just print the updated pages? That's what I intend to do or annotate the pages with the changes. However if you've not got a copy at all I think I may have a spare one( old version obviously) I can post if you message me your address. I ended up with two when I rang environmental health to register and they sent me a second one even though I told them I had the safer foods document :/ Just can't recall if I threw it away, I kept meaning to but i'm such a hoarder.

sarahmc
20-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Not looked to print yet but can't you just print the updated pages? That's what I intend to do or annotate the pages with the changes. However if you've not got a copy at all I think I may have a spare one( old version obviously) I can post if you message me your address. I ended up with two when I rang environmental health to register and they sent me a second one even though I told them I had the safer foods document :/ Just can't recall if I threw it away, I kept meaning to but i'm such a hoarder.

Hi that would be brilliant if you still have it. Il PM you my address if you find it. Thankyou