PDA

View Full Version : sound off!

butterfly
23-06-2008, 01:06 PM
ahhhh! i've got the parent from hell and really need to sound off!! unfortunately she's my neighbour and she caught me just as i was registering and was desperate to make some money!! she teaches part time and started off with a contract stating child would do 1 hr in am and 2 hrs in pm!! for some unknown reason i agreed! then she wanted to increase on a temporary basis and i managed to get her to agree to 8 hrs! that was great first week but then 2nd week she collected 2 hrs early. as we don't have a contract stating 8 hrs i only charged her for 6. then said we needed to update contract. now she doesn't want to up contract she wants 'to see how how her job goes'!! next week she's got a pupil cancelled so she'll be picking up early again!! i know i need to make her sign a contract agreeing to the no of hours she's going to pay for but it's so awkward as she lives next door!!

Banana
23-06-2008, 01:11 PM
You are running a business and not a charity.

You need to sit down and revise the contract, Do not be given the brush off by a parent.
Your business you make the rules! let her know that!

good luck

x

deeb66
23-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I know that it is difficult but you really need to take the bull by the horns.

Explain to her that you are running a business and that a new contract needs to be written.

If she wants to amend sometime in the future due to changing jobs then she can give you a month's notice laying out what she needs the new hours to be.

Some minders have it stated in their contracts that they are paid a weekly minimum amount of hours even if they are with you for less than that.

Think about what will work for you and stick to your guns.

If you let her get away with it anymore she will walk all over you!

Good luck

miffy
23-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Think she's taking advantage!!!!!!!!

Agree with all Dee says - you need to sort this asap

Good luck

miffy xx

Blaze
23-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Nothing to add...my answer is the same as Dee's!:)

Splish Splosh
23-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I agree with the others but you do need to sort it before it gets you down. good luck:)

angeldelight
23-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I think she is having a laugh - what a cheek she is taking advantage here

I agree with everyone else

Hope you sort it out

Angel xx

Twinkles
23-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Cheeky mare ! You are in a tricky position and she's taking advantage.:angry:

butterfly
23-06-2008, 05:35 PM
it is getting me down! she also totally ignores the contract and my parent handbook which clearly states that i require payment in advance. she always pays in the evening or a couple of days later after i've minded so that she only pays for the hours she's used.

i've already said that we'll sort out the new contract in september when her new work hours start. i'll be firm then and state that i need to guarantee my income in advance. i know i should do it before then but i've already said she can wait till sept now so i'll have to stand by my mistake.

butterfly
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Update!! Well after taking everyone's advice I decided to charge a minimum fee per day! I took advice from Blaze (thank you so much!) regarding a letter to send out and today I did it! Saw parent earlier and she accepted new terms so will be coming round to sign new contract. feeling much happier now as this means no matter what is happening with her working hours I will still be paid for 9 hours!

Thank you so much for your advice everyone!! just about got two days sorted now so only 3 more to go!! local paper should be out today with my advert in so we'll see what happens! fingers crossed!

Ripeberry
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Result!:clapping: :clapping:

butterfly
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Result!:clapping: :clapping:

no i don't think it's over!! parent saw me briefly this morning and said she needed to talk to me about charges!! sounds ominous! just waiting for the doorbell to ring!! i will stand my ground though even if i means losing minee

Pipsqueak
02-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Good for you Butterfly (isn't Blaze just :thumbsup: :D )

Stand your ground love and remember you are a professional and this is YOUR business and they can take it or leave it.

Hope all goes well.

x

Rubybubbles
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
bumping for update:D

mrsb
02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Firstly, well done for sending her the letter, secondly I relly hope you stick to your guns and everything turns out in your favour, good luck!:)

Pedagog
03-07-2008, 08:11 AM
It is awkward when looking after the children of friends or neighbours, I started off letting my daughters classmate come round for an hour or so after school as mum was working within a month I had both her sons and her baby daughter. To this day I'm not sure how it happened.

butterfly
03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
ok update!! she dropped off this morning and spent 45 mins chatting about it!! she wanted to know every detail why and i ended up telling her that it wasn't worth my while giving a place up for less than 9 hours as i only have one place under 5s.

anyway we finally agreed that she can just pay for the hrs she uses between now and sept as her job is unstable and then from sept 1st she'll pay the min. 9 hrs. i think that's fair. i have to charge for full days as otherwise i'll have to give up and get another job!