PDA

View Full Version : to high vis or not to high vis?

hulahooper
14-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey all, just thinking about outing safety and wondered who uses high vis vests and who doesnt and why or why not and what you do use. Thanks.

I did try searching the forum but couldnt see anything.

Sent from my LT26i using Childminding Forum

moggy
14-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't as I avoid busy places like crowded playgrounds, I only have 2 walkers (I only do pre-schoolers) plus one maybe in a sling or buggy, so easier to keep close eye on them. Also, so far, the little ones I have been looking after are really good at staying close by, they have never run off, always hold my hand/buggy or on reins. If I had a few older ones (4+ yrs) who I wanted to allow a bit more freedom when out at the park or who were less trustworthy in terms of running off, I may well consider it, or for road safety of I was walking by busy road regularly.

I do feel though it rather 'labels' children when I see them in hi-vis at the park playground, they are obviously there with a carer of some sort rather than a parent, not sure why that bothers me but it does!

Although, my own children always wear hi-vis vests when on their bikes but then that is for road safety.

dette
14-12-2012, 08:46 PM
my mindees wear hivis.its a great advert for a start,someone always comments on them so i get chance to say " i'm a childminder"my own LO's wear one too if we at the park when im working ,much easier to spot them all,nothing worse than trying to remember what colour clothes 6 different kids are all wearing !!! just invested in 6 yellow cotton t shirts too ,for going to playgroups,getting my business name put on the back.i find it ok when ive only got one to watch but more than that its easier to have them dressed the same.my own 2 LO always wore matching outfits when they were little to make it easier to spot them both in softplay etc

toddlers896
14-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I bought them this year for my lot but i havent used them yet and dont think i will either.
Mine have I am with my childminder on the back and to be honest i dont want other mums judging me
or watching what I am doing, not that ime doing anything wrong but so many people judge nowadays.

lilac_dragon
14-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Hey all, just thinking about outing safety and wondered who uses high vis vests and who doesnt and why or why not and what you do use. Thanks.

I did try searching the forum but couldnt see anything.

Sent from my LT26i using Childminding Forum

I do, we live in a rural area and some of the roads we have to walk along to get to the school are either so narrow that you can only use a single buggy, so the los hold on and squeeze in in front of my legs while we negotiate those bits ( swear my arms are a foot longer for having to stretch forward to keep pushing!).

We also have areas with no pavement at all. We have tractors as well as cars and lorries, so everythings within inches of us at times.

If visibility's bad - fog, general bad weather and also school comes out at 3.30, and I have to collect from 4 different classrooms as children aren't allowed out of the classroom until responsible adult is in front of teachers nose, (quite rightly) but it means that by the time they've gone back for forgotten lunchboxes, hats, gloves, homework etc we don't leave the school til 3.45, and it's a 30 minute walk home so we get back in the dark.

I put all the pre-schoolers in them, and they have walking reins too, and get the parents to make sure that the older ones have reflective tape on their backpacks. I also provide clip on flashing lights, only cheap ones £2 which they use or if they don't use they have to give back for someone else to use., and believe it or not luminous dog collars!!!! NO I don't make the children wear them!!! I attach them to each side of the buggy handles and the little ones love to hold onto them like the hanging strap in the underground trains. Reflects great and is brilliant at helping them stay on their feet if they trip up, it's saved many a grazed knee and tears!!

loocyloo
14-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Mine all wear hi viz. Everyone wears them on school runs & LO s all wear them whenever we are out during the day. It means I can spot my mindees (& my own children wear them on school run & outings) plus, everyone knows they are my children! I often get complimented on the children & asked where I got my hi viz!
I don't have my details on the hi viz, for me they are a safety item, not for advertising. I live in rural area too, & it does make us more noticeable.
The LO s remind me if I forget ! & it's non negotiable for the schoolies!