PDA

View Full Version : Im speachless!!

mammumof4
14-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I've had a lot of difficulties with a new starter, he Cryed ALOT found myself with him stuck to my hip while I went about doing things one handed for the best part of 8 hours a day :(
4 weeks down the line an he is settling,JUST.
We still have bad days and I find it hard to get his attention sometimes, he doesn't respond when I talk to him. He is 22 months.
Well this morning he was dropped off as usual and he made a mad dash for a new toy I had brought for him as he's into trains. Mum called him over for a kiss goodbye. He didn't respond, I told her he is like this with me and was planning on talking to her about it today. She then called him by a totally different name and he came running over!!!!!! I looked puzzled at her and she said ohh its his nick name!!!
I said oh I wish you had told me that at the beginning, it could have prevented so many tears an helped him to settle!!
We did all the usual form filling, including a bit "what is your child's preferred name?" and this was NEVER mentioned.

sarah707
14-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh my word! It makes you wonder doesn't it?!? :rolleyes:

xx

cathtee
14-12-2012, 07:20 PM
some parents!! talk about sharing information not!!

dette
14-12-2012, 07:26 PM
one of my own children gets called mooh ..and shes13 now .the things we do to our children .my daughter who is now 18 got called sooty for the first few years of her life ,bless her but i made sure they knew what their actual name is aswell to avoid this kind of situation

The Juggler
14-12-2012, 10:45 PM
oh how very helpful of them to mention it. hope it helps now honey :rolleyes:

heidilunn
14-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Thats very odd imo.
At least you know now though, better late than never i suppose :cool:

miffy
15-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Very strange that mum didn't mention that and very confusing for the child not to know his own proper name as well as his nickname

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
15-12-2012, 08:08 AM
:blush:Ok confession time :blush:

When my dd started nursery it never occured to me to put down her pet name on her forms as only we and her godmother use it :blush:

It only struck me the day she started as i called it her and the teacher looking at me wondering why I called her another name.

Perhaps mum thought as I did as school aslways calls her by her name and her other name is like ours. probably not making sense there :blush:

bunyip
15-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I suspect some parents consider the lo's to be their children when they're all at home playing happy families, but as soon as the parents go to work the lo's are just an SEFP. :mad:

blue bear
15-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Could it be a cultural thing? I looked after a little girl from Africa, I called her one name, her dad another and her mum a totally different one!

funemnx
15-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Could it be a cultural thing? I looked after a little girl from Africa, I called her one name, her dad another and her mum a totally different one!

Interesting, my ex has 3 sisters and a brother and all of them have completely different nick-names than their given names - they are from Haiti.... VERY confusing!

winstonian
15-12-2012, 10:28 PM
We named our eldest dd after her aunty but from a few days old called her Minxy (she is a minx). When she was due to start nursery the teacher pulled me to side to say she wasnt on the list, her brother was there as he is just school year above and she couldnt understand how Minx had been missed off....................I saw her on the list straight away and had to explain the Eloisa isnt a funny way of spelling Minxy, its actually her name :blush:

mrs robbie williams
16-12-2012, 07:34 AM

ive had this before with an african family :thumbsup:

Ambersmum
16-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I doubt it would have eased the settling in process a great deal tbh, some pet names are just used at home and not by school, nursery etc