PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Planning & my first inspection nxt week

LinziH
13-12-2012, 10:12 PM
I have my grading inspection next week (Wednesday) so just reading up on a load of things, trying to get all my paperwork in order and prepared (which is hard because I'm rubbish with paperwork!)

I'm lucky to have met some wonderful helpful childminders in the area who have all stressed the importance on planning and its what the inspector will want to see next week. The thing is, I have NO idea how to do this. It was touched apon very briefly in my childminding course (I mean like 3 and a half minutes briefly) so I assumed it wasn't something which was that important.

I have been doing some planning, but very basic... every week on Sunday night I have a spreadsheet of the activities Im going to do with the children, mainly so I know where I am, I can get all of the resources I need (if I need to buy any, make sure they are all accessible) together and have a bit of a plan. I also have a notebook I use while the children are doing the activities to evaluate (I have the date, activity description, resources used, age of children, outcome and do again/what to do differently next time?) so I can remember what has been good and what can be improved on.

But that is it and now Im worried :(

I dont have any children in the EYFS yet, I only have before & after school runs, but I am really eager to do well in my inspection, Ive put everything into running this business and I want to do well.

Just not sure where to start, and wanted to understand what was expected of me really!!

xxx

VeggieSausage
14-12-2012, 07:16 AM
If you haven't got any EYFS children, under the new EYFS, I am not sure how this affects your inspection....under the old EYFS a minder could only get a satisfactory but I think they have got rid of this grading.....Sarah707 will be able to help on this....

If I had a first inspection I would say the important things to make sure are in place:
1. Risk assessments - house and regular outings
2. Attendance register
3. Visitors book for inspector to sign
4. Starting points for learning journeys (for EYFS children) and a little plan of what you will do to fulfill next steps

Will you have a child present for the inspection?....I would be tempted to postpone inspection until you have children.....

sarah707
14-12-2012, 07:45 AM
If you don't have any children in the EYFS then I suggest you speak to Ofsted and see if they will delay your inspection - unless it's right at the end of your inspection timescale in which case they will HAVE to come and inspect you.

Satisfactory is still a grade - there was a consultation and it was decided to keep it - however, all gradings are now decided from a benchmark of 'good' - so you are not good enough to be good and graded satisfactory OR you are better than good and graded outstanding.

If you just have non-EYFS children then you are highly unlikely to get anything other than satisfactory because you will not have the EVIDENCE to show that you are meeting all the requirements.

The planning and evaluation you are doing for older children is absolutely fine :clapping: and shows an understanding of how to manage their needs.

For younger children the focus is on individual planning - helping them to make good progress - knowing them well - working closely with their parents - liaising with other settings - but for NON-EYFS children these aspects are not as important because they are being educated at school and your job is to complement their school day.

I hope that helps :D

LinziH
14-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Thank you, I registered on the 28th June so its about 6 months from that time. I will have my after schoolies with me but no EYFS (well, theyre in reception so are still EYFS but not to me if Ive understood it correctly)

I have been keeping profiles for them, also keeping a more in depth profile for my daughter (15m) so I could show I had a good understanding of the different learning areas, way to set out a 'proper' profile rather than just the scrapbook layout Ive done the older childrens in. I thought doing it with her from the start would be good for me to make sure she's getting the best from me as well as she is missing out from being in a setting like me oldest child was at her age, I would get the hang of the paperwork and get into a good habit of doing it.

I do have an EY child starting in January, he will be 14m.

Gosh, this is so nerve wracking :|

I also have no idea what a learning journey is :(

LinziH
17-12-2012, 08:18 PM
In my more chilled out state I have realised I actually do know what a learning journey is and I have one in place for a little one Ive been settling in for his start in january, I just call it something else :haha:

I will be having a large glass of wine on Wednesday night :haha: