PDA

View Full Version : Totally unsuitable spare clothes in this freezing cold weather

nipper
13-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Just had to change 18 month old mindee's nappy as she was wet through to her baby gro.
Her change of clothes could be best described as a pair of pyjama bottoms. Most days she wears a thin pair of leggings. I will be talking (nicely) to mum when she collects her. At least she comes wearing a hat though (even if I have to provide the gloves)

Some of you may have replied to my separate post about this child yesterday.

TNT
13-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I think you need to sit down and have a chat with mum about the issues that you are having. I wouldnt go in hard and tough but tell her that you have been a bit concerned because of the nappies and clothing issues and ask her if she is ok and coping in the morning.

mushpea
13-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I have children turn up in the summer with vests and winter coats and then others that come in the winter in thin summer dresses, one boy got the hump yesterday on the way home from school as he didnt have gloves and I wouldnt let him walk home with his hands in his pocketts in case he fell, it seems parents forget their child needs to be warm/cool, they go to work in the car they pick them up in the car then go in to a nice warm office or home so forget how cold it can be.
I would have a chat mum or if this feels awkard do a general letter to all parents explaining that all children need warm winter cloths as you go out in all weathers.

nipper
13-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Yes I thought about doing a general themed letter at the start of next term, just reminding parents that although we walk to school in all weathers, some days we might go out after that and not necessarily go indoors either.

"I provide the footmuffs and blankets for the babies in the pushcair, the parents need to provide clothes appropriate for the weather"

AliceK
13-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I have just sent out my severe weather policy and in it it clearly says that children need weather appropriate clothes and footwear eg Waterproof coats, scarves, gloves, hats and shoes / boots with suitable soles. It says that if a child arrives without appropriate shoes / clothing I will not accept that child.
I have reminded parents that we have school and nursery runs to do and these are always done on foot. Also reminded them about playing outside.

I mean come on it's not difficult :angry: I have never sent my children to childminder / school / nursery without being suitably dressed for the weather. I get so sick and tired of children coming in a nice warm car with no thought that the same child will be out walking for an hour at a time 2 or 3 times in a day.

xxx

nipper
13-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I mean come on it's not difficult :angry: I have never sent my children to childminder / school / nursery without being suitably dressed for the weather. I get so sick and tired of children coming in a nice warm car with no thought that the same child will be out walking for an hour at a time 2 or 3 times in a day.

xxx

Totally agree with you AliceK .Tell me if I'm out of order here, but I think it's down to sheer laziness that people can't suitably dress their children, not time, not anything else, just sheer flippin' effort. I would rather gnaw my own hands off than send my kids outside without warm clothing...my five year old daughter might care to argue the toss but even so!

AliceK
13-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Totally agree with you AliceK .Tell me if I'm out of order here, but I think it's down to sheer laziness that people can't suitably dress their children, not time, not anything else, just sheer flippin' effort. I would rather gnaw my own hands off than send my kids outside without warm clothing...my five year old daughter might care to argue the toss but even so!

:laughing: Yeah mine too and my 8yr old is worse.

xx

nipper
13-12-2012, 11:38 AM
...but my two always arrive at school with hats and gloves on...some kids arrive not even wearing coats (mind you they are the ones who make their own way to school, probably not even an adult there when they leave) And lets not get started on that one!

Mouse
13-12-2012, 12:01 PM
One of my mums is the opposite. One day last week her lo needed a full change of clothes after an explosive nappy. I took off his long sleeved sweatshirt, to find another long sleeved top, then a long sleeved pop-up vest. No wonder he always looks so hot! During this cold weather my heating is on most of the time, so children really don't need to be dressed so warm indoors.
I've started stripping him off a bit when he gets here, so I can put them all back on him when we go outside :thumbsup:

nipper
13-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Takes ages though doesn't it? I always struggle with the arms, because they won't bend because of all the layers!

mama2three
13-12-2012, 12:09 PM
This is up in my hall..
A message from the children....

We like to go outside to play
Even on a chilly day,
So if you bring me in the car
- dont forget my big coat
- TA!

( and please put in my gloves and hat
or Ill be cold and I dont like that!!)

Mouse
13-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Takes ages though doesn't it? I always struggle with the arms, because they won't bend because of all the layers!

It did this time because I asked DD to get me a clean vest from his bag & she went in the wrong bag & gave me another child's vest! I only realised after I'd changed mindee & gone to put his dirty vest with his bag :rolleyes:

k1rstie
13-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I once collected a child from home due to the snow (mum was a carer, so 'had to ' go to work).

I pulled the child home, sitting on a sledge, got home, realised I had lost my keys, had to walk half way back to find them in the snow.

When we got back to mine, she did look cold. When she took her coat off, I could not believe it . A coat (a P.op one, but the thinner one - which I had given her - from my daughter), t-shirt, no vest, no jumper, thin gloves, thin trousers, thin socks and wellies. Poor little mite. I had made her sit on the ground with only a sledge bewteen her and the ground. She would have been warmer walking!
Mum was wrapped up! -coat, hat, gloves, scarf etc

caz3007
13-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I have one who hardly ever has a jumper or a cardie, she just wears a t shirt and vest and either tights or leggings. She does have a cosy toes and a thick coat, but to be honest I dont want my heating on all the time, cant afford it.

annieR09
13-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Just had to change 18 month old mindee's nappy as she was wet through to her baby gro.
Her change of clothes could be best described as a pair of pyjama bottoms. Most days she wears a thin pair of leggings. I will be talking (nicely) to mum when she collects her. At least she comes wearing a hat though (even if I have to provide the gloves)

Some of you may have replied to my separate post about this child yesterday.

I often have them arriving in a car no coat or anything on with a little dress on. When i mention it to parents they just say it is what they wanted to wear!! when my kids were 2 i told them what to wear

mammumof4
13-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Just seen this after I posted my thread. What is it with these people! :(

nipper
13-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Have just spoken to mum about the clothing.
She apologised.

Lots see if it improves then.
Mama2three definitely going to use your little verse, very 'subtle' shall we say?

migimoo
14-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Well one LO has turned up today in...(deep breath)....tights,socks,pyjama bottoms,2 pairs of tracksuit bottoms....vest,short sleeved top,2 long sleeved tops,wool jumper,coat,hat,scarf,gloves and big blanket....he can barely walk!

Looks like my request to dress children warmly in my last newsletter got taken to heart a bit TOO much:laughing:

jackie 7
14-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I had one who came in designer clothes. Sleevless jacket. Very pretty with a whale spout of hair on the top of her cold head. I solved it by meeting her at the door with a seriously clashing jumper on. Chosen carefully! Mum didn't like top and asked if she was cold I said no frozen! Always cam better dressed but never a vest.

cathtee
14-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I have an older mindee that has a coat thats zip is broken, its been like that since earlier in the year, no gloves and no hat, when i asked
if he had told mom he is cold she said you have sweatshirt on so you'll be ok, and where is the hat MOM HAS IT ON TO GO TO WORK:huh: