PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever challenged a parent over whether they've changed their child's nappy?

nipper
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Well there seems to be a bit of a theme to my posts this morning...

Mindee arrives just before 8.30am, by 9.30 the vest is usually wet because of the bulging nappy. It's obvious it hasn't been changed since the night before. Is this is a welfare issue and should I be making a note of it? I think I might just mention it to mum.

marnieb
12-12-2012, 12:15 PM
hmmmm - it could just be that the child didnt wee much during the night, and it all came out first thing??? This frequently happens with my 26 month old mindee, I check his nappy as soon as he arrives, most days its dry, and we go on the school run, once home I get him out the buggy and he's wee-ed so much it soaks through his nappy, clothes and onto my buggy!!!!!!

hectors house
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I would say to mum can she make sure child has clean and dry nappy on before coming as some days you may want to go out straight away, school runs, toddlers etc and you haven't got time to do it. I rarely change a nappy until after lunch unless of course it is a dirty one.

Mouse
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
How old is the child?

It could be that they haven't weed much through the night & save it all up for morning. The first nappy of the day might not hold the contents of a full bladder, or the night nappy might not have much in it, so they leave it on & then mindee fills it.

nipper
12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
18 months. Mum is constantly texting saying can we meet you at school, running late etc. Has been known to get child out of bed at 7.50am to get to mine, always without any breakfast just a bottle of milk.

singlewiththree
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a 2yr old mindee who is suddenly wetting through his nappy at nap time. I put a clean nappy on before he goes to sleep but when he wakes up he fills it and his clothes!

eddie
12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
18 months. Mum is constantly texting saying can we meet you at school, running late etc. Has been known to get child out of bed at 7.50am to get to mine, always without any breakfast just a bottle of milk.

Sounds like they don't have a good routine and the LO is not being changed first thing to me. It is a bit neglectful and the LO could end up with horrendous nappy rash - I have had one who had blisters it was that bad. I think you will have to speak to Mom and say the LO needs to be changed before arriving at yours as you are straight out and they are soaked from the night nappy. Poor little mite.

eddie
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I would also make a note of it in concerns or however you log problems/concerns.

nipper
12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I know mum has a handful with the tantrums and often won't give her a sleep in the afternoon because little one kicks off screaming when she puts her down. I have no problems here.

little chickee
12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't say anything just yet.
For the next week or so i would monitor the morning nappy. Check it as soon as he is dropped off and see how wet it is then again an hour or so later.

I agree that althoughit might be the case that parent isn't changing the night time nappy it could be a case of the child filling a new dry nappy on arrival at yours.

If the nappy is really quite wet on drop off I would mention it.

nipper
12-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes that's a good idea

Tatjana
12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I would say it was a laziness issue, they cant' be bothered to change the child and expect you to do it. I wouldn't be happy and would ask them to consider their childs comfort.

nipper
12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
If we ever go to toddlers (once or sometimes twice a week depending on if I have her) sometimes it can be gone 11am before I can change her. Last week I noticed she was wet through when I sat her on my lap.

Samcat
12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
What would you do if a child began arriving regularly with what appeared to be a dirty or unchanged nappy, was one of the questions I was asked at my pre-reg inspection in the summer. I said about talking to mum, finding out if there were any problems, monitoring it and noting it down. She said that was all very well, but it was still neglect and should be treated as such.

nipper
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all your answers

Kiddleywinks
12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Could the child need the next size up in nappies?

nipper
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
No, just gone into size 5's.

mum24
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
hmmmm - it could just be that the child didnt wee much during the night, and it all came out first thing??? This frequently happens with my 26 month old mindee, I check his nappy as soon as he arrives, most days its dry, and we go on the school run, once home I get him out the buggy and he's wee-ed so much it soaks through his nappy, clothes and onto my buggy!!!!!!

I have had this a few times too. the only way to be sure is to check the nappy when they arrive.

But if they arrive with a full nappy, just mention it to mum, don't need to be confrontational. Are there other signs of neglect? It could be that lo isn't waking up til almost time to go and mum is in a rush and knows that you will sort it when they arrive. I sometimes have one arrive in pjs because they find it difficult to wake early in the morning, and I dress them. Child really well looked after, just can't wake up early.

AliceK
12-12-2012, 09:19 PM
What would you do if a child began arriving regularly with what appeared to be a dirty or unchanged nappy, was one of the questions I was asked at my pre-reg inspection in the summer. I said about talking to mum, finding out if there were any problems, monitoring it and noting it down. She said that was all very well, but it was still neglect and should be treated as such.

I remember being told the same at my training too.

xxx

happydays1
13-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I also have one that arrives in pjs and i change him when he gets here, this is because mum is busy getting ready in morning and pulls child out of bed just before leaving. Parent has discussed this with me before hand and this is the solution we came up with as she comes quite early and we didn,t think it was fair on the child to get up even earlier. But thats just me, i don't mind. Maybe your parent is struggling in the morning, have a chat and see what you can come up with.x

nipper
13-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Ahem , well I am a little concerned now.

They arrived at 8.40 just as we were leaving to go to school, mum said sorry we were late she had 'half' a dirty nappy so I changed her (that was why they were late). Fair enough. Didn't check how wet her nappy was as we were straight out.

By half past 9 she had wet through to her tights and baby gro so I changed her. The nappy was bulging again.

Mouse
13-12-2012, 10:59 AM
You could try saying that you've noticed how frequently lo is very wet by the time you get chance to change her, despite mum having put a clean nappy on her in the morning, you assume. Obviously it's not good for her in this weather. Suggest mum tries 2 nappies on her for the morning drop off. I used to do that with one of my mindees when he slept. He would go down with a clean nappy on, but would be wet through to his clothes by the time he woke up, a maximum of 2 hours later. He was the same at night & mum was having to change him all the time. I'd put 2 nappies on him when he went to sleep. That was enough to contain it all. When he woke up I'd take the bottom nappy off, but could sometimes leave the outer one on if it wasn't too wet. Mum did the same at night & it made a huge difference.

At least if you speak to mum in that way it doesn't look like you're accusing her of neglect. It might just be enough to make her think if she isn't changing the nappy in the morning. She might either explain why she isn't doing it, say that she does & will try the double nappy thing, or she'll keep quiet, know she's been rumbled & start putting her lo in a clean nappy each morning :thumbsup:

Mouse
13-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Out of interest, what sort of nappies does she use? Some of the cheaper ones are rubbish and don't hold much at all.

nipper
13-12-2012, 11:13 AM
She was using Aldi own brand but is now on Huggies size 5's

Helen79
13-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Is lo filling up on juice or milk on the way to yours? If mums in a rush she may be having a beaker/bottle on the way instead of one at breakfast and drinking too much in one go.
If she changed her first thing then she was soaking wet by 9.30 it sounds like she's drinking too much in the morning rather than her not being changed when she gets up.

nipper
13-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Bottle on way to mine, but not always drunk. Mum doesn't have time to give breakfast and I can't because of the time she arrives.Has to wait until 10/10.30 when we sit down and have toast/snack , but usually I'll give her hers when we return from school run.

Lots of things are stacking up now and I don't like where this is headed.

nipper
13-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Hang on a minute, mum said this morning the reason why there were late was because the little one had done half a dirty nappy. It's now lunchtime and there's no sign of the rest of it. I haven't mentioned anything about the nappies yet.

How long does it take for the rest of the poo to come out. I've got to take three to the nativity this afternoon.:panic:

k1rstie
13-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Hang on a minute, mum said this morning the reason why there were late was because the little one had done half a dirty nappy. It's now lunchtime and there's no sign of the rest of it. I haven't mentioned anything about the nappies yet.

How long does it take for the rest of the poo to come out. I've got to take three to the nativity this afternoon.:panic:

whats 'half a dirty nappy'?

little chickee
13-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry but what on earth is half a dirty nappy?
I assume child usually has a massive poo and this was smaller? Maybe thats all he needed!

If mum doesnt have time to give him brekfast and she knows that because of your routine he won't get brekfast til later i'm sorry but she needs to get up earlier. Much as i hate to wake a sleeping child she is just going to have to to ensure that he is changed and fed before arriving at yours.

All these things plus your other post about unsuitable clothes I think you need to put your profeesional hat on and ask for a meeting.
It can be freindly etc but child needs suitable clothing, needs nappy to be changed properly and needs to get up in enough time to have a breakfast. Its easy to start on a slippery slope towards neglect however unintentinal

k1rstie
13-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry but what on earth is half a dirty nappy?
I assume child usually has a massive poo and this was smaller? Maybe thats all he needed!

If mum doesnt have time to give him brekfast and she knows that because of your routine he won't get brekfast til later i'm sorry but she needs to get up earlier. Much as i hate to wake a sleeping child she is just going to have to to ensure that he is changed and fed before arriving at yours.

All these things plus your other post about unsuitable clothes I think you need to put your profeesional hat on and ask for a meeting.
It can be freindly etc but child needs suitable clothing, needs nappy to be changed properly and needs to get up in enough time to have a breakfast. Its easy to start on a slippery slope towards neglect however unintentinal

I agree with little chickee, if not neglect, maybe the family need some extra support from outside agencies

nipper
13-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Half a dirty nappy is for this one, who has real problems pooing and is on what I can only guess is child laxatives. I don't give these but as far as I know she has them in water (again not sure how many doses per day). She is usually in agony when she poos or at best a lot of discomfort.
I've never known her to have a bowel movement in the morning, it's usually around lunchtime.

I will mention to mum at collection

dette
13-12-2012, 01:17 PM
im presuming laxatives are precription so therefore has seen a doctor ...otherwise excessive wee and constipation can be signs of T1 diabetes,might be worth mentioning to mam
.In my experience some LO start saving their wee into big wee's just before theyre ready to start potty training and these arent always contained very well ,like nappy cant soak it up quick enough,check her regularly and see if see's going from dry to soaked rather than a gradual fill up,might be able to work out how long she is going between wees and pop her on the potty when she has a full bladder

k1rstie
13-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Half a dirty nappy is for this one, who has real problems pooing and is on what I can only guess is child laxatives. I don't give these but as far as I know she has them in water (again not sure how many doses per day). She is usually in agony when she poos or at best a lot of discomfort.
I've never known her to have a bowel movement in the morning, it's usually around lunchtime.

I will mention to mum at collection

Thanks Nipper
:cheerleader:
Another gaping hole in my knowledge now filled

caz3007
13-12-2012, 03:58 PM
I personally would be more concerned about the fact the child doesnt get anything to eat until 10-10.30. Why on earth isnt she getting up earlier and getting her child organised. Taking both things into consideration I think perhaps you should be seeking advice on this one.

nipper
14-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Pleased to say mum went to Asda and bought a new outfit with warmer trousers and a thicker top.

Mouse
14-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Pleased to say mum went to Asda and bought a new outfit with warmer trousers and a thicker top.

That is good. How was the nappy this morning?

nipper
14-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I have spoken to mum about it and suggested that there might be a very slim possibility she's ready for potty training. Mum says she's dry when she wakes up, so it definitely the sudden rush of wee that's causing that nappy to get full so quickly. She has also mentioned that when Daddy baths her, she keeps saying "need a wee, need a wee" so they put her on the potty but nothing happens. At least if she recognises the sensation, she's part of the way there isn't she? I did say it might be better if they waited until it's a little bit warmer though.