PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy nappies and toilet training a two yr old (Sorry for the graphic nature)

nipper
12-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Apologies for the graphic nature of this

Mindee has just turned two. Hasn't shown any signs of wanting to use toilet/potty yet, but has recently had a new sibling.
Mum I know is keen to start toilet training in the new year, but I have concerns. The nappies 'they' produce are always 'minging' (really acidic smelling) and messy. There is just no 'consistency' to them and they resemble a new-born's nappies. Usually by this age, it's just possible to tip the contents into the toilet (most of the time) but these are just horrendous. I know the child eats a lot of tinned spaghetti products at home, which could account for this. I am reluctant to accommodate when 'they' do start as I can imagine the mess on underwear if they have an accident.

eddie
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I would say LO is too young yet if no signs of knowing whether they have wee'd etc. Moms are always so keen, its like a race or something to get them trained before they are ready. Do you have a toilet training policy you can remind Mom about or are you able to chat about the problems relating to starting too early as this can ultimately slow things down.

I have a similar one fed processed foods etc whose nappies are unpleasant.

nipper
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm not saying anything until she broaches the subject. I am planning to update my policies over Christmas and then give them out to parents in the New Year so there will be much for her to 'digest' (no pun intended). Hopefully then she will be more informed shall we say?

Mouse
12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I read that as "doggy" nappies and wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the post :laughing:

nipper
12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Come on mouse, surely you must have something to say...:laughing:

loocyloo
12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
i used to look after a LO who had similar nappies, and she had 'toddler diarherroea' (can't spell, sorry!) she did grow out of it, and it wasn't possible to potty train until pretty much grown out of, even then we had awful accidents!

nipper
12-12-2012, 01:58 PM
This is what I was concerned about:panic:

hectors house
12-12-2012, 05:34 PM
One of mine used to have terribly loose nappies and as he also suffers from excema, I suggested to his mum that he may be lactose intolerant - he now mostly has soya yoghurts and desserts and lactose free milk and it made a huge difference to his nappies, toilet training which I was dreading, wasn't too bad.

Maybe you could suggest to the mum foods that may bind up the loose nappies, tackle that first before potty training - think that only just 2 and new sibling and fact that not showing any interest is bit of a recipe for disaster though - persuade her to wait until warmer weather!

little chickee
13-12-2012, 08:58 AM
I think you would need to be strict about making sure that she starts toilet training at home.
And not just over the weekend!! For me the child would need to be showing good signs of understanding the process and having a good degree of success.

I just could not be coping with any poo accidents with that consistency od poo!

nipper
13-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Yes I am definitely rewriting my toilet training policy over Christmas, even down to describing the consistency of the poo required, lol:blush: