PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Type 1 Diabetes in Children

Tealady
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Just thought I'd share my friends blog. Her daughter who is in my DD's year at school was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.

As we can often be one of the first to spot changes in a child as they can spend a lot of time with us, or often are a sounding board for concered parents, I thought it might be useful. I realise we can't diagnose but we can suggest a parent gets things checked out.

Why thrush is a girls best friend........ (how to spot Type One Diabetes in Children) - Northern Mum (http://www.northernmum.com/2012/12/why-thrush-girls-best-friend-how-spot-type-one-diabetes-children/)

WibbleWobble
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I spotted DD2s diabetes (8ys old at the time) before she had real symptoms....

because she has SEN and epilepsy i was "in tune" with her. One day...yes it was one day she started pestering for drink (she had piddled herself earlier that day) and i was so cross with her pestering (yes i know bad mum) i just stood her on a chair and turned the tap on.....she stood there and gulped and gulped.

i knew

i rang my mum who was working at the local walk in and took her over to check her wee.....full of sugar.

Got on call GP to ring paeds and we took her in.

I was so early getting her in she had no weight loss and her long term blood sugar (HbA1C) was normal....so it seems i had caught it just on the day her diabetes started!

She had had a bug the week before and the theory is that bug damaged her pancreas.

we were lucky...

wibble xxxxx