PDA

View Full Version : More advice re: rising 5 and new EYFS please :)

Katiekoo
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi, I'm confused again. I had thought that our new certificates covered us for taking on an extra child if our own is a rising 5. My dw says I need to treat it as a standard exception and do the ra and consultation with parents. I didn't consider it an exception, so am surprised, all the parents are ok with the change so it holding be a problem but I want to check, is this right do I need to put an exception in place formally? And would someone be happy to look at my ra? Cheers, k

JCrakers
11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm guessing your own child is starting school? If so then she doesn't count in your under 5numbers anymore so you could take on another under 5 as long as it doesn't take you over 6 under 8s

Katiekoo
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah my dd started school back in September, and has done really well, we thought she'd take a while to settle into it but she's been amazing so I figured I would take on an extra lo for a few days a week. So you don't think I need to put an exception in place? My new certificate covers me?

JCrakers
11-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Well you can probably have 5 under 8s if you have enough space. (Your dd makes 6) depends what your cert says on space.

So if dd is at school fulltime then you can have 3 under 5s without a variation.

Katiekoo
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
That's what I thought, my dw got me in a right tiz! Thank you for the quick response :)

sarah707
11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Your certificate doesn't cover you - the EYFS does that in requirement 3.40 -

If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.

Hth :D

Katiekoo
11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks Sarah, I've been looking into doing the exception ever since my dw said I should do one. In the information about exceptions it says ' the EYFS 3.40 clarifies when exceptions can be made for rising 5's' which does imply that an exception is required. So I would need to do a ra, consult parents etc? Or have I mis understood the guidance? Or is an exception for a rising 5 different?
I figured that I wouldn't have had to get a variation for a rising 5 before the changes, they would have just updated my certificate. So I wouldn't have to make an exception.
I feel the word exception is problematic.

Katiekoo
11-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry - What I'm saying is; why do they refer to 'rising 5's' as an exception in the guidance if you don't need to do the paperwork required for an exception?!

sarah707
11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Your certificate says that you must 'comply with the requirements of the Early Years Register set out in the Statutory Framework for the EYFS'.

The requirements of the EYFS say that you can care for another child once a 4 year old is in full time school.

So, if you make a change to your numbers to accommodate an extra child because one has gone to school you are complying with the EYFS.

It is not a change for continuity of care - it is not exceptional circumstances - so in my understanding you do not need to do anything.

However, if your dw says that you must do it I suggest you check with Ofsted and get their reply in writing so you can show her.

Hth :D

Katiekoo
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks so much for your replies Sarah, I always really value your advice :)
I'll check with Ofsted, but I'm sure a formal exception isn't required, flipping dw putting doubts in my head!!!