PDA

View Full Version : Governments plans for childcare changes

miffy
10-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Just read this on the BBC website

BBC News - Ministers 'plan childcare change' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20669750)

Doesn't look like it's going to go away.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
10-12-2012, 10:41 PM
I've read half...saw her face grinning away and shut it down..lol

I'll read the rest when I've calmed down.

Mouse
10-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Why can't they ever get their facts right in these articles?

Apparently hildminders are registered for 3 under 2s and the ratio for 2-4yr olds is 1:4. Where on earth do they get these 'facts' from?
And our "salary" is bout 11k. I wasn't aware I got a salary.

Oh well, another case of let's wait & see :rolleyes:

karens knippers
10-12-2012, 10:58 PM
will have to read rest in morning.....wish they would confer with ofsted to get ratios and correct wording. well i think i am going to retrain and re-register so that i can earn this fantastic 'salary'........maybe they will tell me where i am going wrong :doh:

nell57
11-12-2012, 08:04 AM
So, they want us to charge less, take on more children to make more, but be better qualified to do it:huh:

migimoo
11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I've read half...saw her face grinning away and shut it down..lol

I'll read the rest when I've calmed down.

I'm printing that pic off and attaching it to my kid's archery set....very therapeutic!

SYLVIA
11-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I heard literally a sentence on Daybreak this morning that said parents will soon be able to offset 1/3 of their child care costs with government help and plans are to allow childminders to look after more children. Why don't they understand that more children mean more overheads/expenses and less safety for the children involved. I don't mind upping my numbers to help out but to do so permanantly is a no no for me!

*daisychain*
11-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Do all childmnders live in huge houses allowing enough space for all these extra children ? or are they going to change this too ? there seams to be more concerns for bettery farmed chickens than children :angry:

JCrakers
11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
If I was to take more children on then I would be cooped up in the house..I would go stir crazy and the children wouldn't see the wider world at all, just the four walls of my playroom.

Also I wouldn't be able to do the school run which is where I get the majority of my wage so.....

I would have to double my prices to make up for the loss of wage :)

Tazmin68
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi
I have to use the car for the school run. I am full up in the car as it is so no I am not going to care for more children plus it would mean more observations, planning and more outgoings. This is why I am a Childminder not a nursery. Can you imagine how much more our house insurance would go up by. Plus I dont think 3.00 per hour us excessive.

jo.jo76
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I agree, even if they raise the number of children I can care for I'm not going to! My car is full on the school run and want to still be able to go out and have fun with children!

TooEarlyForGin?
11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
And of course don't forget, its cheaper to have more children, you don't need more resources, more food, more equipment........[sarcastic]

After 10 years of regularly getting variations for 4, I am no longer willing to do is as I am knackered especially if they are young. I am quite frankly going on strike with paperwork and anything that my DO asks me to do, until they sort it all out as it quite frankly seems a waste of time.

teacake2
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Would they mind telling me where I am going to get the extra children to look after in the first place, are they going to wave a magic wand at me and I suddenly have five, I have two very part-timers at the moment and have done since July, no enquiries that have been suitable since, and no chance:angry:
Teacake2

caz3007
11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Its the same here Teacake, lots of local Cm that I know are doing an additional part time job

teacake2
11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
If things don't improve in the new year I am going to have to look for something extra as well, but with my age there isn't much that I could do where I live it is a small village, and at the moment I can't drive due to ongoing problems with a trapped nerve in my neck, so I don't know what we will do, we are not far off losing the house, trying not to worry as I know there are a few people on the forum have worse problems to contend with than me, but it is very hard not to worry.
Teacake2

caz3007
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Teacake, I have one full timer right now and she will go to school a year September and then if things dont change, I am giving up and will possibly just do after school and holiday time if I can find a job that fits.

vdubnut
11-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm all up for upping my numbers , but not at a reduced cost that's more work for same money . I don't think so ! I'm flaming stressed enough

wendywu
11-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I have 4 little ones and 2 after schoolers and me in the car = 7 so thats it icannot take any more even if i wanted to .......and i dont.

They have not factored after school children and going out during holidays, or are we supposed to buy double decker buses now. :mad:

Ripeberry
11-12-2012, 03:13 PM
We are our own bosses. They CANT tell us what to charge. So I would just carry on as normal.

loocyloo
11-12-2012, 03:15 PM
grrr i am trying to reply on the bbc website, but depsite registering and being sent about 6 'confirmation' emails ... none of them are working !!!

watgem
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't understand why they think having more mindees to care for will work out cheaper, unless they want us to drop our fees to didly squat money per hour per child, I too charge £3 p/h and do no consider that excessive for the responsibility/paperwork/wear and tear etc not to mention 3 years being a billy no mates to get my degree in early years, one of my mums can't understand it either, as she says people don't bat an eyelid for vet fees/kennel fees etc for their pets, but when it comes to paying for childcare....well I was having a good day until I read that article, better go find some choccy now lol to cheer myself up

lynnfi
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Where do they get their infortmation from???!

In France it is 3 children maximum and 4 in some cases but a variation has to be in place following an inspection and series of questions on how you would manage.

Since full time free school is available from 2 years oldish (teachers decide hours with parents and build them up the first year but can be full time straight away if child is ready), this usually means 3 under 2s plus the CM's own older children. Have never heard of after school children on top.

TooEarlyForGin?
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
We are our own bosses. They CANT tell us what to charge. So I would just carry on as normal.

I agree Ripeberry, but if they make it easier for people to become childminders and then they are able to have up to 5 children, more local mums might see it as a way just to make a bit of extra cash, seriously undercutting us. And although there are parents out there who care about quality, there are a lot who don't and just want it cheap.

How long could we all last then?

migimoo
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I think we'll just have to push the 'you get what you pay for' element as experienced CM's and tell parents that we value their childs safety and development too much to raise our numbers to make up our money-that's why our fees are staying the same.....any parent who would disregard this out of hand isn't worth having anyway!

I have a variation for 4 under 5's for 3 hours a week and it's not fun...it's crowd control:laughing:,It's surprising what a difference just 1 extra child adds to the dynamics so I definitely won't be raising my everyday ratios!

The Juggler
11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
they are idiots if they think increasing ratios will decrease costs.

Firstly, I imagine, the minders who will overmind now with no regard for numbers will welcome this - result more poor quality childcare
Quality minders will decide against increasing their ratios as they don't feel they will be able to offer the quality of care they like.
Quality minders will decide to increase ratios, but won't reduce fees anyway as they know it will cost more to provide quality resources and care (i.e. take on assistant, buy more equipment).

The only sensible idea is allowing parents to offset costs - bravo Government. That's what you /previous government used to allow before you took all those tax breaks away - bring them back - now! :panic:

Mouse
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a variation for 4 under 5's for 3 hours a week and it's not fun...it's crowd control:laughing:,It's surprising what a difference just 1 extra child adds to the dynamics so I definitely won't be raising my everyday ratios!

I have 4 under 5s (generally 4 under 3s) most days and love it. I don't find it any harder work than having 3. I'd welcome to opportunity to be able to up my numbers permanently. I'd happily have 4 all the time, with 5 every now & again if needed.

But no way will I be decreasing my fees :panic:

nipper
12-12-2012, 11:24 AM
And I quote...

According to the Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR), the current childcare ratio in England limits one child minder to looking after three children under the age of two.

...which hat do they pull these figures out of and who is the Institute of Pubic Policy Research? Why didn't they just get the figures from Ofsted?

The sooner this coalition government goes the better, but I doubt the next one will be any better.

It seems to me like it's "Pick on childminders" time again.

Hey, does anyone fancy a trip to London to cause a 'disturbance'. lol:laughing:

JCrakers
12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
And I quote...

According to the Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR), the current childcare ratio in England limits one child minder to looking after three children under the age of two.

...which hat do they pull these figures out of and who is the Institute of Pubic Policy Research? Why didn't they just get the figures from Ofsted?

The sooner this coalition government goes the better, but I doubt the next one will be any better.

It seems to me like it's "Pick on childminders" time again.

Hey, does anyone fancy a trip to London to cause a 'disturbance'. lol:laughing:

Lets start a childminding riot...we could throw nappies and baby wipes...lol

nipper
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Count me in!

Who would cover the cost of reimbursing all our parents for us having to have time off...imagine the claims for travel on our expenses...oh the list goes on and on and on

Mouse
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Lets start a childminding riot...we could throw nappies and baby wipes...lol

And tie ourselves to the railings with wrist straps & reins :laughing:

SYLVIA
12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Does anybody rememBer the news story about a "childminder" having so many children in her care, the authorities went in and found most of them strapped in car seats. Just out to make money. When this starts happening again and parents realise they have no come back because they chose cheap over quality, the whole system will go back to square one. The only ones suffering and at risk are the children, and NOBODY WHO NEEDS TO BE, SEEMS TO BE LISTENING TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW BETTER!

nipper
12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Does anybody rememBer the news story about a "childminder" having so many children in her care, the authorities went in and found most of them strapped in car seats. Just out to make money. When this starts happening again and parents realise they have no come back because they chose cheap over quality, the whole system will go back to square one. The only ones suffering and at risk are the children, and NOBODY WHO NEEDS TO BE, SEEMS TO BE LISTENING TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW BETTER!

:panic:For real? When?:panic:

Mouse
12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
:panic:For real? When?:panic:

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Tayside and Central | Childminder struck off register (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6398357.stm)

nipper
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
BBC NEWS | Scotland | Tayside and Central | Childminder struck off register (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6398357.stm)

Damn, you beAT ME TO IT! aND WHY AM i WIRTING IN CAPITALS?

SYLVIA
12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
2007. Dundee childminder had 10 children under 3 or 4 yrs old. Had 4 strapped in car seats to keep them under control. She was struck off