PDA

View Full Version : Which payment methods do you accept?

Richard
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I was curious to know which payment methods most parents use to pay registered childminders.

Would you be interested in an easy and convienient way to accept credit and debit card payments from parents via your mobile phone?

jo.jo76
10-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I was curious to know which payment methods most parents use to pay registered childminders.

Would you be interested in an easy and convienient way to accept credit and debit card payments from parents via your mobile phone?

Not sure if I'd want something on my mobile I always worry about losing it!

Most of my parents transfer money straight to my account online, which is what I prefer. Two pay cash. One pays by cheque, really wish she wouldn't as getting to the bank to pay it in is a nightmare as the village bank is so small, once I get the double buggy in no one can move!

Pauline
10-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Over the last 5 years all mine used childcare vouchers.

Accepting credit card and debit payments would be good though, so long as there was no charge/costs to me :)

loocyloo
10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
i accept payment from voucher companies (online payments) and online banking. some parents pay in cash and i have one parent who pays by cheque. i am trying to discourage payment by cheque, as i am 15mins from local branch of bank, and it is only only open 10-3 each day !!! ( and doesn't even have the facility to pay in out of hours! )

being able to accept payment via my phone is an interesting idea, although i'm not sure i want the responsibility of doing so!

Richard
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
The way it would work is that you would have a credit card reader that plugs into your mobile phone and you would have an app on your phone that allows you to take credit and debit card payments from parents.

The money would go straight into your bank account but there is an admin fee from the financial organisation that provides the facility of 2.75% which you could always pass on to the parent.

This kind of system is very popular in USA at the moment.

melco
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi,

Mine either transfer the money into my account or they pay me by childcare vouchers.

Would want some info on whether using the mobile would be better and would want to know more about it, I am not very good if it means getting technical.

melco

little chickee
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Cash or direct bank transfer for me.
Not sure i like the idea of the mobile payment thingy - too tricky!!

Mouse
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Cash, vouchers, direct bank transfer or cheque for me.

I think I offer enough choice for parents as it is, so wouldn't be interested in a mobile phone option, certainly not one that had to be paid for.

I can't imagine I would need it very often anyway and would probably have lose any devise I needed!

mrs_scottydog
10-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I accept vouchers, transfers or for Ad-hoc contracts cash.

I have to admit that I'm not planning on getting a smart phone, can't even get the internet on my current one, so wouldn't want parents to pay me via an app. I do however know that some people who use their phone a lot ma find it useful. Hx

amanda1309
10-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Bank transfer or vouchers here, one pays by cash but its never very much and can't see them wanting to incur charges when they pass a cash machine to get to me

mama2three
10-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Is there an initial cost for the machine etc? I think that the majority of minders would have only 1 or 2 parents a month maximum wanting to use this method , and so there is little benefit in incurring the expense tbh.

FussyElmo
10-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Oooh I like apps however don't have my banking on my phone always scared of security. However I would like to know more and it would stop my cash payers expecting change all the time.

I suppose as the mobile internet progresses this will become more and more common like the contacless payment everywhere at the minute.

hectors house
10-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't even know how to use the camera on my phone, so don't think I could manage payments!

My parents pay vouchers, direct into bank, cash and one still pays by weekly cheque:( - but at least they all pay so that is the main thing!

Toothfairy
10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Out of my 5 families, 4 pay by childcare vouchers and make up the balance with cash or bank transfer and 1 pays with a bank transfer.
I stopped accepting cheques about 18m ago.
HTH :thumbsup:

JCrakers
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
All are bank transfer or vouchers straight into my bank.

I wouldn't like the charges and my parents wouldn't pay when bank transfer takes minutes and is free :)

sarah707
10-12-2012, 05:53 PM
3 x vouchers, 1 x cash and the rest transfer the money when they receive their invoice.

I don't have banking on my phone because I worry about the security as well - but I think it's the way things are going - everything is moving towards being phone based isn't it?

:D

blue bear
10-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Vouchers, standing order or cash here. Not really keen on technology

cathtee
10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Vouchers and Cash for me, I don't have an up to date phone so no apps for me, to be honest as long as i get it don't mind how:D

marnieb
10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Vouchers and bank transfer, only very occasionally cash payments.......

tbh I dont like the idea of them hanging around to do a payment here - they arrive, pick up their kids and go!!!!!

The Juggler
10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
i use childcare voucher payments and direct transfers from banks from parents

occasionally for one off work or very late payments I will accept cash

lynncjt
10-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Childcare vouchers plus bank transfer topup, bank transfer and cash.

Daisy De
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Cant see why anyone would pay for something like that when bank transfer is instant and free, also not sure I would want parents paying for their childcare by credit card that seems not quite right to me and a recipe for disaster and debt for them.

The Juggler
10-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Cant see why anyone would pay for something like that when bank transfer is instant and free, also not sure I would want parents paying for their childcare by credit card that seems not quite right to me and a recipe for disaster and debt for them.

i can understand it, Daisy as lots of people who pay with cards still hate internet banking. However, I agree to the extent I'm not sure why parents would pay a premium to pay us this way. I could see it working as an option for on the spot payment where they are behind with fees and we say we want paying today. So, parents says "Oh I have no cash, Us: "that's OK, you can pay me by card now ;)" I guess the card fee might be less than our late payment fees after all but I don't think parents would be that keen.

LauraS
10-12-2012, 07:25 PM
QUOTE=Daisy De;1188351]Cant see why anyone would pay for something like that when bank transfer is instant and free, also not sure I would want parents paying for their childcare by credit card that seems not quite right to me and a recipe for disaster and debt for them.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this to an extent, although I used to have a cashback credit card so used to pay my childcare bill with it at the nursery as an easy way to rack up cashback - not a possibility with a 2.75% fee though :laughing:

I accept vouchers, cash or transfer. One uses vouchers and transfer, two cash, the rest just transfer. They transfer it, I can check it in a minute or two on my phone, easy peasy. I don't accept cheques because of the faff in banking them.

I wouldn't see a need to accept card payments when bank transfer is so easy and so widely used. It wouldn't attract any more business.

I'd also be concerned about the possibility of debit/credit card chargebacks in a parent dispute. It seems unlikely but... what better way to get free childcare than to pay for a couple of months, then do a bunk and report your card stolen, or have a petty argument and get revenge by doing a false chargeback. It shouldn't happen but it could. Stranger things have happened.

charleyfarley
10-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I mostly get paid with vouchers, 1 parent tops up with a bank transfer each month and then the other parents pay with cash any top up incurred for that week/month.

Not sure I'd or rather my parents would like a payment that cost them money each month.

Carol xx

Helcatt
10-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Almost all pay via a combination of vouchers and top up by bank transfer, or straight forward bank transfer. I did have two paying by cheque but when I changed bank accounts in September, I stopped accepting cheques - as the bank were a pain to pay anything in to

I can see the benefit if a parent has "forgotten" to pay you and you can demand it gets sorted straight away, but I would not want to foot the bill and I don't think parents would be too pleased with that either

I have had some pay me cash in the past but direct in to my account works best! I do however accept cash for ad hoc care

Hx

PixiePetal
10-12-2012, 10:22 PM
I have vouchers, cash and cheques.

Bit old fashioned me :o My mobile is not clever enough for all that fancy stuff :rolleyes:

k1rstie
10-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I have one parent who gives me a small cheque (about £50) per month.

I cannot be bottered to go to the bank, and just pop it in the post instead.

I either just address it to LLoyds TSB, High Street, Town Name, or I might get very fancy and post to the address in my cheque book!

I know I have to buy a stamp, but its cheaper than paying parking in town, and I do not have to hang around.

I have been posting them for years, and have never had one go missing

jo.jo76
10-12-2012, 11:30 PM
I have one parent who gives me a small cheque (about £50) per month.

I cannot be bottered to go to the bank, and just pop it in the post instead.

I either just address it to LLoyds TSB, High Street, Town Name, or I might get very fancy and post to the address in my cheque book!

I know I have to buy a stamp, but its cheaper than paying parking in town, and I do not have to hang around.

I have been posting them for years, and have never had one go missing

I never knew you could post them to the bank! Learn something new every day :)

Chimps Childminding
11-12-2012, 05:16 AM
I have vouchers, cash and cheques.

Bit old fashioned me :o My mobile is not clever enough for all that fancy stuff :rolleyes:

Same here!!!

*daisychain*
11-12-2012, 06:45 AM
I mainly get paid in cash as some Of the parents don't have online banking, only one pays by bank transfer, one parent seems to use the " I could only get a certain amount out if the bank" excuse a lot , so I would defiantly be interested in a card payment thingy :) how do we find out more ? :)