PDA

View Full Version : Curious - Anyone do "pay and go" service

leeanne910
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
hi :) as you may know i should be registered VERY soon am just waiting for the certificate/letter to confirm!
Have been thinking about offering a sort of pay and go service, for example parents who want only a couple of hours for like shopping, appointments, 'me time' ...so almost like a creche... i reckon there is a gap for this kind of service in my local area, and a high rate of young and single parents who may need this "extra helping hand". Do any of you do this? And could possibly offer advice in regards to charges, and forms/contracts? (i use my own contracts - adapted from MM) and if there are any example of policies etc... oh and wether EYFS to be followed in regards to learning journeys - especialy as it may be one off care?

THANKS in advance to any clever helpful bunnies :)

mammumof4
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I do this, if I have the space and I am happy that the child will settle ( is used to being left with others)
I ask parents to fill all the usual paper work in, we just put "as an when required provided a space is available" in the hours.
If its a one off Ofsted wouldn't expect you to do much other than care for the child and interact in play ect. If I think parents may use me again I do a scrap book with pictures and photos ect, keeping it simple. And parents get a daily diary sheet to say what they have eaten, naps ect.
Hope this help :)

leeanne910
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
thx does help a bit... the contract i have is like 4 hours long - with some bits i dont think are relevant... could i possibly slim it down do you think? and include permissions on a single form ( at the moment i have them all individual)

what do you do about charging? Do you use a higher rate? have a booking fee/deposit? sorry for all the questions :/ what do you do about all policies being read?

so much to think of! eeeeppppssss

caz3007
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I would do it full payment on booking and no refunds.

Bluebell
10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi I have done this in the past and still do if I have a space. However I've never advertised it as I filled my spaces quite quickly and then wouldn't be able to accomodate 'extras'. If I was relying on this business I would worry about quiet times. I like that I can be flexible with spaces - like I have a child that comes shifts and can fill the morning or afternoon he doesn't come. I get them to do the child record form so that I have the childs details and a permission slip for medical care, outings and so on. I don't do a contract or a deposit as its pay as you go and they must pay before they leave the child with me. I have had a holiday maker phone up and ask if I could have her 6 week baby because she couldn't cope with the baby and the toddler when her hubby got called back to work. She was nearly crying with gratitude. I just charged my normal rate but I can see how you could charge more for being so accomodating. There is a desperate need for childcare in my area so not hard to fill gaps on a regular basis which for me is better but if at first you don't fill your spaces this would be a great thing to do.
ALSO get friendly with other local childminders - they would appreciate having someone who may have spaces if they needed a day off or training day. When I first started I was able to help out parents that would be stuck and they were able to then recomend me for parents looking for more permanent care.
Good Luck and Best Wishes I hope it all goes well for you x