PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new starter please!!?

kellyskidz!
10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Advice needed please!! I have a new starter (first day today) Mum drops little one off at 7am and I take him and my own daughter to school for 9am. Mum wants to do this for 2-3 days a week, so he will be in my care for between 8 - 6 hours per week. Do I plan activites during this time, as 8-8.45am is breakfast, getting uniforms on and generally getting ready for school time?
Doing activities at 7am seems a little extreme, especially since he was quite tired this morning and just wanted to read a book quietly?? Shall I just plan simple activities like reading, or jigsaws etc. and try my best to link it to EYFS and produce a detailed Learning Story?:panic:
I did note some observations this morning but will Ofsted expect me to have a full on Learning Story with observations linked to EYFS, Next Step ideas, examples of arkwork etc or will they understand that it is an early morning placement and there is only so much I can do (can't even go outside as it's still dark before 8am lol!!)
Any advice would be welcome, especially if any other CMs are in or have been in this situation. Thanks, Kelly xxx

melco
10-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I asked this question a while ago, I have 2 lo who come at 7.45am and I drop them to school at 8.50am, they are approximately in my house for 45mins, in that time they have breakfast, make sure we have everything for school and then we leave. I thought that if you had children at school age you did not need to cover the EYFS also I feel that like you said lo is tired and is about to do a day at school where they teach him and cover the EYFS. If I am wrong then I am sorry but don't think you need to worry about it and just let him do what he wants when he arrives, if that includes doing a puzzle or drawing then thats fine but I would not be thinking of different activities for him. However someone else may say different so hope my reply is not the only one!!:panic:

dette
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
wrap around care for EYFS age children doesnt have to be a full learning journey ,you will need a baseline assessment after about 6 weeks but this will be based on your little obbs that youre already noticing so no real extra work,i'm sure the little bits a peices you put out will cover loads of areas of learning ,without even making a special effort,just notice what they like and leave that out for LO to do.Make a very simple plan with your continuous provision and areas of learning on it and that should do .
I dont do messy art in the morning,just drawing or colouring then jigsaws books etc as youve already said.
but If LO is over reception age then its not required

kellyskidz!
18-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Thank you both! I've just got a folder and will add in observations etc then cross my fingers and hope it's enough!
I'll try to encourage activities, but I was worried I'd be having to wack the paint/glitter/messy tray out at 7am lol!! xx