PDA

View Full Version : Male Childminder Article

Rick
09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I placed a thread on my local website 'Bath Mums', trying to drum up some interest and hoping to allay fears about a man looking after their children. Well, the editor of the website saw all the messages of support and asked me to write an article explaining my story and how I came to being a childminder. Of course, I jumped at the chance of further exposure. Article not gone out yet but I thought I would share it on here if anyone is interested.

Always welcome comments! :)

cathtee
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
What a fabulous article so well written, I hope that it will bring in some positive inquiries for you. good luck :)

Rick
09-12-2012, 08:02 PM
What a fabulous article so well written, I hope that it will bring in some positive inquiries for you. good luck :)

Thanks Cathtee! I am hoping something will come of it; I figured it wouldn't do any harm. I just want people to understand that I'm just the same as any other childminder and not automatically rule me out just because I am a man.

k1rstie
09-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi Rick.

What a great story.

Wishing you every sucess, and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Kirstie

winstonian
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Well done. Hope you get some positive results from it.

Trouble
09-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Fab article:clapping: and excellent website fingers crossed for you:thumbsup:

Greengrass74
09-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Nice article Rick, it is always great to see more men coming into childminding, I have been minding for about 2 years now and love it. I do work alongside my wife and thankfully we are full.

I get great reactions from parents and other childminders in our area now but it wasn't always the case which just made me more determined to proof myself as a capable childminder and a great role model for the LO's. I used to get the looks from everyone, especially in the school playground, but not now.

I wish you all the best and hope you have as much fun as I do :thumbsup:

Rick
09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read it! I'm not experienced at writing articles so it's always comforting to know it reads well and the content is vaguely interesting!

Rick
09-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Nice article Rick, it is always great to see more men coming into childminding, I have been minding for about 2 years now and love it. I do work alongside my wife and thankfully we are full.

I get great reactions from parents and other childminders in our area now but it wasn't always the case which just made me more determined to proof myself as a capable childminder and a great role model for the LO's. I used to get the looks from everyone, especially in the school playground, but not now.

I wish you all the best and hope you have as much fun as I do :thumbsup:

Hi Dave, yes I'm very much the same. I get looks and comments when I'm getting on the bus with 3 of them but everyone knows me at play groups etc so no one thinks anything of it there!

I'm determined to prove myself as well; I have been very lucky with the 2 sisters I currently mind for as they are children of a friend but struggling to convince parents who don't know me to give me a chance.

Other childminders in the area have been first class, saying they will pass on any enquiries that are no good for them.

Just off to practice my ho ho ho's ready for my Santa debut at childminding group lol!

Bob
09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Excellent article Rick it comes across very well. Hope it gives your business a boost. All the best

Genesis
09-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I too am a male in childcare, your article hopefully will be a big boost to you. I am lucky in working with my wife, and to be honest leave the getting the business in the door to her. I like to play and have fun with the children, that is my motivation.

smurfette
10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Great article! Wishing you all the best from it!

sarah707
10-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Very well written! :clapping: I hope you find work as a result :D

The Juggler
10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
i hope it does the trick for you. fingers crossed xx

Daisy De
10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Very nice, well written article, can't believe you won't get work once it has been read :)

Allie
10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
That's a great article I hope you soon get the work you want

Allie

Rick
11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Article goes live tomorrow! And emailed to 2300 people in Bath! If I get nothing from this I will be very surprised. In the article I have also informed people of the work childminders do as speaking to some people, they just don't know the work and effort we put in.

I'll let you know how it goes!

lynncjt
11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Good luck! Hope you get some results from it.

Rick
12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Well article has gone live.....fingers crossed!! :jump for joy:

Bath's only independent male childminder: read Rick's story (http://www.bathmums.co.uk/news.php/1441.htm)

nipper
12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
That's great Rick, nice to hear good news about positive male role models. I really hope you manage to get some more business out of it.:clapping:

tulip0803
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Well done for such a good article. Hope you have loads of interest soon

Rick
15-12-2012, 09:14 AM
So far not a sausage! Hopefully people are just thinking about Christmas at the moment and will start thinking about childcare again in the New Year! Either that or they still have their reservations! Lovely comments form another childminder and mother of the sisters I currently mind.

Bath's only independent male childminder: read Rick's story (http://www.bathmums.co.uk/news.php/1441.htm)

Oh well.....happy xmas everyone btw :laughing: