PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel like this isnt the job for you??

sarah32
23-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Ive had a really bad few weeks, and I been feeling am I doing the right thing. Is childminding for me. Im really not sure at the moment, I know we all have bad weeks but I really cant shake this feeling at the moment.:(

I even typed up my CV last night and am considering putting it in to my local school, Ive always wanted to work in a school with younger children and would maybe like to give a teachers assistant a go.

Its a number of things, not seeing friends for days and being on my own with three little children, last week one of them has been a nightmare and its seems to be one thing after another.

Husband thinks Ive taken on too much and should of just stayed at one full timer but thats not how childminding works and took on two more full timers.

I really want to stay working with children and I think a teachers assistant might me the answer.

What do you think?

crazybones
23-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I sometimes think I would like to be a teaching assistant when Will is old enough for school. Some days I crave adult conversation but this place keeps me sane. The constant trudge to school and back 3 times a day is the worst part for me but come Sept that will only be twice a day. I went through a bad patch last year when I wanted to give up but I feel better about things now, although I have bad days but I think we all do. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :D

Pudding Girl
23-06-2008, 08:40 AM
I think in your heart of hearts you will already know your answer x it's a matter of being brave and saying this isn't for me. It's hard when you have invested so much time and money into something to get it off the ground.

For me I have bad days, not been a bad week yet but I am sure I'll have one soon! And I do think omg what have I done?!! But then something else will happen a nd I'll think, oh no I could never do anything other than this now :)

I don't find it isolating really, but then I can be a bit of a loner on occasion anyway - plus I don't do well in employment situations, I always attract the office bully :( I would never go back to working for someone else again.

foxy lady
23-06-2008, 09:07 AM
i love my job
yes somedays its really hard work and i knackerded
some days the children drive me mad
somedays i wish my house was tidy again like it used to be
BUT BUT BUT
if i think about getting up and going out to work and having to have someone else tell me what to do. no way
i have doing this almost a year now and i no i could NEVER go and work for somebody else
i love my job and i love being at home.
if it is not right for you them you prolly already know
hope that you are happy in whatever you decide:)

MissTinkerbell
23-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with Foxy.

I worked as a teacher for 12 years and the main reason for changing to childminding is the fact that I can do all the aspects of my teachig job that I loved - being with the children, etc and also work for myself:

yes I still have the paperwork to do - BUT its for me, not someone else

You need to look at all the pros and cons and could you really go to having someone else tell you what do do when you've been so used to making all the decisions?

sarah707
23-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I've had bad weeks as well as good over the years - it can be really hard and only you know if you can carry on.

Childminding can be lonely and is definitely hard work, but it gives me a freedom I never would get in a job where someone pays me to be in an office all day ... I would miss the baby ducks and the changing seasons, not to mention my children growing up.

If you do decide to leave, keep your registration going and up-to-date with your first aid, then you can come back if it doesn't work out. It's hard to re-register, so unless you are 100% sure, don't go that route.

Chin up and all that! :D

wendywu
23-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I would be fine if every one would just leave me and the children alone. Then i could just give them a home from home, let them grow up and give them a kiss goodbye and set them free in the big grown up world, to be happy. SIGH:(

bubbly
23-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I know what you mean Sarah32. I've been feeling that way too but I think my feelings are more down to the problem-child I mind. I'm going to see if things improve when she starts school in Sept. If not, then I know I'm in the wrong job :(

My feelings have been all over the place lately but I've had a bad 7 months. During that time I've been made redundant from my job of 21 years, waiting for more surgery for my son (I now have a provisional date of Sept 4th), my partner also being made redundant from his 25 year job, family bereavement, my parents' personal and health problems and now it looks like I'm going to have to sell my home.

On the brighter side, surely I can't be due any more bad luck :thumbsup:

I never imagined adjusting from an office environment to be this difficult either. I didn't settle into it easily. I haven't felt isolated, it's more a feeling of being out of my depth.

LOOPYLISA
23-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi yes i know how your feeling, i only have my neice although it is 4 days a week 8 -5 ! and can be a long day, only this morning she went to bite me, pushed my glasses off my head AND id just taken her to the park!
So im thinking how do you all cope with 3,4,5,6 at a time!
Im really happy at home and want to be here for my dd , all my family work, so there not in a postion to help, hubby works all hours hes a heating engineer, shes never been in childcare so to do this now at10 yrs old would really upset her(well maybe me!) so this job would suit be down to the ground, ive always worked around children but i am a home bird really !
So i can totally understand where your coming from, im always here to chat x:thumbsup:

Delly
23-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I totally understand how you feel, i was feeling the same about a month ago.
Being new to childminding I grabbed everyone that enquired not wanting to turn anyone down incase no more business turned up.

In the end I totally exhausted myself looking after my DS (18mth), mindee 16mth and 9mth old. I was convinced i had made the wrong decision, and that it wasn't for me so much so that I nearly ended up throwing the towel in.
I went away on holiday for a few days, and cried all the way home because I really didn't want to go back to the childminding life/days...

This was the final straw so after much discussion with hubby decided that the 9mth old baby had to go, I couldn't give him what he needed because of the other childrens ages, it was too hard.

I have to say its the best thing I ever did, I'm so Happy now and I know I'm a good childminder and giving my mindee and DS the best attention I can.

I think your hubby is right, perhaps reassess your numbers and take the pressure off a little, I've done that and my confidence has grown tenfold and I'm looking forward to getting some more children on my books.

Good luck with whatever you decide :) sending hugs !! x

wendywu
23-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry you having such a hard time Bubbly, and i expect you are the backbone of the family.

At least you have a hospital date for your son.

You must be a very brave and strong person to cope with and come through all this in your life. Just the type of role model that little people need to grow up with and look up to. I would say you are in exactly the right job.

I take my hat off to you :clapping:

Banana
23-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I question if i am happy in my job sometimes. Sometimes the answeris yes and sometimes its no. I guess if i can still answer yes sometimes then it means that i can continue doing it. I know when I reach a point in a job when enough is enough and I just dont feel like that about childminding. I think deep down you know when you have given something your best shot and you just have to hold your hands up and say 'i tried and its not for me'. I cant say I'll always be a childminder but im happy for the time being
Hope you reach a decision you are happy with
x

jaja
23-06-2008, 12:32 PM
good luck with whatever you decide to do, good luck xxxx

Spangles
23-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I've always gone through phases where I'm not happy in my job whatever work I'm doing! I think it's just normal, you can't be satisfied and happy all of the time and you can't have good weeks all of the time.

I have had 3 bad weeks now and this week is looking good, thank goodness! I was also wondering if I did the right thing but I think I have for the time being.

Only you know how you really feel deep down.

x

bubbly
23-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Sorry you having such a hard time Bubbly, and i expect you are the backbone of the family.

At least you have a hospital date for your son.

You must be a very brave and strong person to cope with and come through all this in your life. Just the type of role model that little people need to grow up with and look up to. I would say you are in exactly the right job.

I take my hat off to you :clapping:

Awww, shucks :blush:

Thankies :)

ruby
23-06-2008, 02:19 PM
just wanted to say good luck with what ever you decide to do

i love my job its great having the little ones around and because there are two of us there is always another adult to talk to

we do have bad days last tuesday being one but all in all i don't think i would like to do anything else

cathy

Splish Splosh
23-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I think we all feel like this from time to time i know i do if i am being honest.

But i dont think i could go and work in the childcare sector elsewhere though being bossed around and told what to do.

good luck with what you decide but you arent on your own with how you feel.:)

sarah32
23-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Its been a better day today. Got round to a friends today and had a chat and feel a bit better.:)

Im still undecided but will probably send my cv into the local school and see what happens. I will continue childminding but I dont see myself doing it for ever. My children are both at full time school now and I want to get out and have more adult company plus do I job that involves children. I think a teachers assistant is what I want to do but it will take some time as these jobs dont come along often in my area.

Donna's contacted me and offered to go round and chat which Im going to take her up on.:)

breezy
23-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Hope things sort themselves out soon for you, only you can decide what's best for you, but I couldn't continue minding if my heart wasn't in it, especially through the bad days.
Remember, we're all here to support you, let us know how things work out :)

Tily Bud
23-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Hope you feel more positive soon x I have times when I fell really down about the job but ive got to say that i dont think i could do anything else now x

Twinkles
23-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I think we all have days like this but if it is something that goes on for weeks maybe you should explore other avenues.

You sound as though you don't see other adults during the day ?
I could not cope without my friends. I meet up with two/three other minders most days and we take the children out together.
On the days we don't go out I find it can be a bit depressing.

Trouble
23-06-2008, 05:52 PM
some days i hate my job but most days i wouldnt change it for the world

if parents we happy and left us alone i would be even happier

Monkey1
23-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I have days when i think what the h*ll am i doing this for, but if i'm honest i will tell you that i absolutly love it! I love being my own boss and i love seeing the little ones grow and develop into confident little people, ....and thats partly down to me.......something to be very proud of i think!:D

flora
23-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Some days I hate my jobs.

In the winter mainly.......

I hate being on the farm covered in **** and freezing cold. And I hate minding on the farm in winter as we get mucky walking home and trying to keep the kitchen floor clean with the dogs and the kids aaaahhhh:eek:

That said, I couldn't in a million years go back to being an employee. I do get flexibility, I get to watch Hannah grow up and I decide what I do and when.

So all in all not a bad life???? :D