PDA

View Full Version : cloth nappies?

jadavi
07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
My mindee of one has the worst case of 'nappy rash' I've ever seen and I have concluded it could be a nappy allergy and not regular nappy rash as

a) it doesnt hurt him and is not really between the cheeks but on the cheeks
b) It isnt red and chafed looking but red spots (or rather white pimples on a red backgrouind)
c) creams do absolutely nothing and just they just make a crust on the top.

The parents say he's had it from birth and they've been to the doc who didnt have a clue (duh...)
Fopr some reason they have never tried cloth. They have also never tried using water and not wet wipes.... apparently these parents cant be told ( as I know the mindee's auntie who child minds and has tried suggesting a few things now and then)
Has anyone got a good supplier they can recommend? I thought I'd get a couple with muslin inners to get the ball rolling as they are reluctant and not really listening to me... well the dad drops him off at high speed during the week and the mum lives away weekdays at the moment. (and can't be contacted as she has no mobile)

Any thoughts oh wise ones?

xx

IndigoMoon
07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Could be thrush sounds very similar and ordinary nappy cream wont touch it. Google it and see if the rash looks similar. If it is anti fungal cream like caneston will get rid of it but obviously parents would want to go through doc. If it is thrush don't use cloth nappies as the fungus will stay in the nappies.

TNT
07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Hiya
How old is he? I ask as I used cloth nappies with mine when they were teeny but as soon as they started to move around a lot they often leaked and so I gave up. I tried loads of brands but found Little Lambs the best.

miss_robson
07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi I'm new to this but just read your post,
I have a child in my care who was the same after their parents went back to the drs lots of times a differant dr said that the child is allergic to the plastic elastic in the pampers nappies, the child now uses huggies cotton soft and the rash has gone.

Also is your child old enough to be potty trained, that might help.

Marie

AliceK
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Could be thrush sounds very similar and ordinary nappy cream wont touch it. Google it and see if the rash looks similar. If it is anti fungal cream like caneston will get rid of it but obviously parents would want to go through doc. If it is thrush don't use cloth nappies as the fungus will stay in the nappies.

I was thinking that too. I had a LO not long ago with what sounds like the same. He had some special cream from the Dr, I think it was some kind of steroid cream?

xxx

hectors house
07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
If the child is allergic to the paper material the nappies are made of then cloth nappies could solve it, but if it is nappy rash or thrush they won't help and could make it worse. (Some women are allergic to panty liners)

It could also be as you say a reaction to the fragrance in baby wipes, maybe you could try baby lotion and cotton wool or just plain water. It also could be a type of excema, one of my mindees had a nasty spotty rash that sounds similar but it did also flare up on his thigh too. We found cream from doctor did nothing - so just used Savlon antiseptic cream which seemed to work.

lynnfi
07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Any cotton or hemp/bamboo ones should do.

I had exactly the same for my son until I switched to cotton nappies. It disappeared after a while. I went on holidays and bought nappies and it all started again, so the allergy to "paper nappies" was confirmed.

Also I've had a baby who was allergic to the cheapest T. nappies but not the better ones.

There also are corn nappies in T. to sell, they are quite expensive but natural, no added products/bleach etc, which could work better...

LittleLegsCM
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
My son is now 27 months and we have used cloth since the day he was born, I honestly couldnt rate it highly enough!

I would maybe suggest some pocket type nappies rather than prefolds as pockets look and work exactly the same as sposies in the sense that you open it up, put it on the bum and then bring the tabs round to do up with either aplix (velcro) or snaps (poppers) so the parents may like these and would be more inclined to try them rather than having to 'faff around' with special folds and wraps on top.

You can get cheap pockets on ebay if on a budget and they are around £5-6 but I would say the best pockets to use would be bumgenius or blueberry's as they have been our most reliable all this time.

It does also sound more like thrush than nappy rash it self or if LO has been ill recently it could also be an after affect of that. I would suggest, if you do end up buying some cloth, DON'T use normal nappy rash creams with them OR any creams from the drs as you'll find these would eventually make them less absorbant.

HTHs x

mushpea
07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
it does sound like an allergy and you are quite right to bring it up with the parents and gently suggest alternatives but I dont think going ahead and putting him in cloth nappies at yours without consulting them first is the right thing to do and why would you spend your money doing this when its the parents responsability? if the parents choose to not do anymore about it and the child is not in distress then I would let them get on with it,
My son was in cloth nappies from day one and never had any nappy rash but he had bad excema on the rest of his body, yet my daughter who was in disposables suffered severly
I can see you have good intentions which is lovely but at the end of the day its parents choice as to wether they change the type of nappies and we shoudl work with them not go against them and just change things ourselves.

k1rstie
07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I have just had a little one start with cloth nappies. I did not get on with them 10 years ago, oh my, how they have changed.
The colours have changed, and they are so easy to used.
There are only 2 things I do not like are that I cannot really tell if wet or dirty. Do not seem to get heavy and droopy. Got to have a really rummage to find out whats going on.
I am not keen on the funky patterned liners it makes it difficult to see if dirty.
i have to use special nappy rash cream

jadavi
07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks. Yes I have suggested to the parents I might buy some as part of my service... They didn't mind! If I put him In them at 9.30 I'd see by 2.30 if they have worked. ....

jadavi
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I have bid on a tots bots v4. Do I need a liner?
Thanks

jadavi
08-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks - he is one. Do i need an inner liner for the totbots?
Cheers

LittleLegsCM
08-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I would suggest fleece liners for all cloth nappies as it helps move the moisture away from the skin. However dont expect to get 4 hours out of them, IMO a nappy shouldnt be kept on for that long anyway but depending on if he's a light/medium/heavy wetter you may only get maximum of 2.5-3 hours out of 1 nappy. Dont let this put you off & give up straight away like some do, its all about finding the right nappy & boosting for the right child which can take a little experimenting.