PDA

View Full Version : Biting!!! please help

Keeley77
07-12-2012, 10:58 AM
My two year old daughter has started biting my two year old minded little girl!! 1st incidents yesterday, once over pepa pig toys and the other over the cat!!

minded girl has nasty teeth mark and bruise

Not sure how to tackle this, I feel awful about it. Mum has been understanding but i'm really worried about it happening again.

hectors house
07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Could it be due to frustration of having to share her toys and doesn't have the communication skills yet to express her feelings?

Maybe limit the amount of your daugher's own toys you use for minding, particularly any favourite ones or look round charity shops so you can have two the same and watch your daughter like a hawk - actually watch the other child too, when I had similar with a 2 year old boy mindee scratching the face of another 2 year old girl mindee, when I watched closely it turned out it was her taunting and teasing him and because he didn't have the language skills to stop her or tell me, he would scratch or pinch her face.

eddie
07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
It's always a difficult situation when it's one of your own injuring the mindees. Make sure you document the incident fully and it's good mom is onside because lots of LOs go through this but it is usually a stage so hopefully with extra vigilance it will pass. I have had it the other way as well, when a mindee bit my daughter - she still goes on about it now and it's been years :laughing:

toddlers896
07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
i look after a child that has just turned two and she does exactly the same. She doesnt like sharing and she wont let anybody near what she is doing. I think its frustration because she cant tell them no so she takes their hand and bites it to tell them no.
Ive spoken to mum and we have agreed that she has to have time out and we do lots of sharing games and lots of praising when she shares to encourage her. she is getting much better as the praise definately works.she loves it. hope this helps you as i felt terrible too when it was happening x

TNT
07-12-2012, 01:05 PM
My son went through a very long biting (and hitting, pinching and kicking) phase. I had to shadow him everywhere, never leave him alone with a mindee and seperate him from the others if I had to leave the room. I would set up activities especially for him at the table near me while cooking etc, making sure they were interesting enough to keep him there. I was also very positive with him (through gritted teeth sometimes as it was so frustrating and difficult:))
It is hard work! He is 2years 9 months now and I can finally 'trust' him. However if he is hungry or tired I use the above strategies to stop a problem before it starts.