PDA

View Full Version : Variation

JumpingJacks
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Not been on here for a while and just after a little advise please.

Currently working full time 8-6 but having to reduce my working hours down to 3 days a week after Christmas.

I am currently full with a variation in place from before the change over. Allowing 4 under 5's 4 days a week for specific children as and when required.

I currently have
Mondays - 4 year old, 1 year old and DD
Tuesdays - 4 year old, 1 year old, 19 monyh old and DD & schoolie 5
Wednesday 19 month old and 20 month old and DD after schoolie 5
Thursday 1 year old, 19 month old and DD
Friday 3 year old 4 year old and DD

I will no longer be working Mondays and Fridays and will go back to my original 3 on a Tuesday

Parents have asked if its possible to change days to fit in with my new working hours which would mean on week days I would have 1 year old, 19 month old and 20 month old plus DD.

Can I grant myself this variation? As the child wanting the space is not covered my my current variation?Obviously space etc has already been approved by Ofsted and parents will need to agree

DD attends nursery from 9-3.30 on a t,w,t and is due to start school in September so this would be permanent for 9 months.

Thanks

hectors house
07-12-2012, 09:24 AM
You need to do yourself a variation, including on it similar information you used to give Ofsted eg; can you meet all childrens needs, have you got enough equipment and risk assess how you would manage 3 children under 20 months - can you get to Nursery to drop off and collect your own child and do the after school run , how will you sit them all to the table at meal times, are you going to buy a triple buggy or have you got enough car seats?

You also need to give other parents a copy of the new rules on variations - an example of one can be found in free downloads and then you need to tell them about how you are going to make sure their child doesn't miss out on you having extra children.

BlondeMoment
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
We get to decide for ourselves these days so long as the number of children being cared for doesn't exceed 6 under the age of 8.
We just need to prove we can meet all their needs.
Good idea to do a little write up like Hectors House suggested!
I've just granted myself a variation. I've got two under 1s on one day but no other children apart from schoolies later. They're 9 months and 10 months so getting near a year anyway. It's not like they're very young babies.
I've got a little write up explaining that I have enough car seats, and a double buggy, two highchairs, travel cots etc.
Also I put in my risk assessment how I would get them in and out of the car on school runs (with buggy ready to plonk em in lol)
Pretty sure you'll be fine.

mum24
07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
mmm, I am not sure, I think it is ok if the contracts are existing children, we can't I think, just use a variation for new business.

So as you already have contracts you should be ok to do it, getting permissions etc as already mentioned in other posts, but not if it is a new child coming. I may be wrong on that, but I am sure someone will be able to tell us the correct information.

migimoo
07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
It's only if an existing child is increasing hours or changing days NOT for new business and you have to do a risk assessment-let parents view this then sign to say you have shown it to them and they've been made aware of the variation.

I've awarded myself a variation on Tues,Thurs and Fri lunchtimes as 2 parents have increased their hours so I have 1 and quarter hour overlap on these days-I find it very hard with 4 under 5's as we are on nursery run and then having lunch so really think if you can manage first.

JumpingJacks
07-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks all.

It's for an existing child that's already in my care. My daughter will be at nursery 9-3.30 and the nursery(and school) are only a 5/10min walk away from my house. So with a triple buggy that's not an issue.

Already have 2 travel cots and highchairs so can purchase a 3rd. Have adequate sleeping space for all. 2 out of 3 walk well.

I'm tempted to trial it for a period before committing to it?

Other parents don't see a problem with it so no issues there.

If it was 5 days a week it would be a big fat no but as its only one day I'm very tempted to say yes. Really don't want to have to say no and mum have to look for another childminder(they don't want lo with 2 cms) and she saw several before choosing me that she really didn't like.

Going to have a think over the weekend.

Thanks everyone x

winstonian
09-12-2012, 03:56 PM
It sounds like you've thought it through and you obviously know your children. Just write it all up in case there is ever a query. It sounds like you would be fine.