PDA

View Full Version : closing down to take maternity leave

LIBBY
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi I am currently pregnant and was wondering if you lovely people could please give me some advice. I wish to end all of my contracts and take at least a year off with my own children I was going to continue working until Feb half term but am struggling alot and in pain now and want to finish asap. All of my mindees are term time only so if I give notice now would the 2 week christmas period count? I use ncma contracts so rang them but they wouldnt help me as i am now insured with mm.

The NCMA fact sheet states

If you have a term-time-only contract or a school-holiday-only contract, and the
parent gives notice during the period that you are not contracted to childmind, the
contract would normally provide that you will not be able to ask for payment in lieu of
notice, as you would not be caring for the children during the time of the notice
period. So, if you are offering a term-time-only service with a four-week notice period,
and a parent gives notice during the first week of August, you could not claim
payment in lieu because you would not normally be caring for that child during the
holidays.

But says nothing of the situation being reversed! Equally the doctor has told me to slow down, I have never taken any time off sick if I end up being signed off how would I end the contracts then.

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice or opinions many thanks :-)

k1rstie
06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Hi Libby,

sorry to hear you are not feeling 100%

With regard to notice periods, have you spoken to your parents?

You never know, they may be happy (but not the right word -brain freeze!), to finish at Christmas just to help you!

When I had a childminder - if I was asked to finish early by the childminder who was in your situation, I would have done it, (I probably would have moaned about it), but I would have done it to help, and I certainly would not have taken legal advise, or even looked at contracts. I would have just done it or offered, as I am a nice person!! and would not have wanted to make you ill.

Maybe if you relocated just one or two of your kids early, that might make all the difference.

I am sure others will be able to offer better advise - I just know what I would have done if I was one of your parents.:littleangel:

FussyElmo
07-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Do you know any childminders with spaces who you could recommend - helping them in a way.

I wouldnt have thought the holiday would count in your notice period but as K1rstie said have you spoke to your parents. If they know why you want to finish early they are "hopefuly" going to be more sympatheic.

hectors house
07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Have any of the parents thought about what were going to do with their children after Feb half term - Nursery or after school clubs/ finding another childminder? Can you ask them what plans they have made and just ask them if they can start/move earlier.

Or like someone else said can you not cut back slowly and see if that helps, sorry to hear you are struggling - I was lucky with my last pregnancy I managed to work until the day she was due and then stopped - mother was a teacher and only had to arrange alternative care for a week as was just before summer holidays.

Or just give notice today - 2 weeks til holidays then if necessary 2 weeks of new term in January so still finishing a month before you would have been. Ask or phone all parents today and at least then you will know and can start counting down!

eddie
07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry you are struggling. You have to think of your own health first really and the parents would have to be pretty mean to kick up a fuss in this situation. Can you not speak to your parents and see if they are sympathetic towards you, after all if I were a parent in this situation I would appreciate your honesty and would accept the notice period to include the holiday.

mrs robbie williams
07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
i would ask cm friends if they have spaces and see if they are happy to take them on? do the parents think you are finishing in feb? im not sure about giving notice today :eek: but then if you are up to date with lj's etc and are happy to do this then go for it - bet you will feel so much better when you have made a decision :group hug: xx