PDA

View Full Version : Desperately needing advice Coeliacs

Craftymum
06-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and really need some help and advice. I'm currently looking after a LO (18m) who has coeliacs disease, I've had her from 9m and played a part in her diagnosis. She is a lovely child but things are starting to become really hard with regards to get coeliacs. I thought I was managing things well, complete gluten free diet, really careful about contamination - I prepare her meals first on her own plates etc and never at the same time as other food, feed her separately and wash my hands between contact. I hoover every day to avoid crumbs and am so careful. Parents are now questioning my practices and want to supply me with all new plates, bowls, cups and even a toaster (I currently use a toaster bag for her bits) all to be kept in a plastic tub with lid by me. I'm really struggling as not only do I not have the room I feel there is no real benefit as I still have to prepare her food in my kitchen with or without these new plates etc and I do carefully wash her plate etc first and store away from food!
Can anyone who has had similar give me a little advice please?
Grateful for any guidance

nipper
06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
What specific aspect of your pratice are they questioning? Only experience I have is my mother in law who is a coeliac.

eddie
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I would ask them why they have concerns - is the child becoming ill, are her symptoms flaring up? I would not think that separate bowls etc would be of any benefit to be honest. I had a little girl (one of my childrens friends) who used to come to our house quite a lot and I stuck to the gluten free diet but never had to be overly conscious of crumbs, separate plates etc.

lizstrats
06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Goodness me, that does sound a little over the top! I understand that you have to be extra careful with mindees, but special plates etc? Really? My husband has been a coeliac all of his life, his food is stored wiith all other food, obviously we're careful when cooking and make sure there is no contamination - he certainly doesn't have his own crockery and has never been ill since I have known him (14 years)! I guess mum is over anxious, It must be quite a big thing to deal with for a little one. The coeliac society is pretty good and may have some advice, they have a website if you google it.

Good luck xx

Craftymum
06-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. She has been gluten free for 6 months now and not had any problems whilst with me although she'd had 2 episodes at home, until the last week, she's had diarrhea three times and her parents are certain it's CD related although I'm not 100% sure. This is what's prompted this discussion about the box although I'm not doing anything different to the last 6 months, my routine is very strict with regards to food etc so as to make sure she is never exposed. I do lunch for myself while she naps and my daughter often eats while she is sleeping too so it's only snacks which at all fruit or gluten free. I know I'm super careful and not sure what else I can do, I'm feeling really stressed out about it and if we can't come to an agreement I don't want to but I will have to serve notice as I don't feel I can meet the expectations. I understand it must be daunting for them as parents but I'm not sure accepting these new rules regarding the box etc will be beneficial to me or to my mindee.
In tears over it 4 times this week!!