PDA

View Full Version : Why do childminder have to write the time?

Candy apple
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Why do childminders have to write the exact time that children come and go but nursery, pre school and other groups just have to know they were there and write a tick? I do it like i'm supposed to but i dont undertsnad why it is different for us and we have to do more?

merry
06-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Our local pre-school were picked up on this by Ofsted and now write the exact time of arrival on their register too, but since most children are there as they open their doors it's not too difficult. With us arrival times of each child can be very different and they don't all stay for the same length of time as they usually do at pre-school.

:)

bunyip
06-12-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm not too fussed about what my local nursery might be doing badly and getting away with for the time being. I'm far more interested in making sure I get my own responsibilities right and am covered if there's ever a dispute or problem. If ever there's an issue which requires us to account for where/when the children are at a given time, then I know it won't be me that's left paddle-less up the Rio Excreta. ;)

clareelizabeth1
06-12-2012, 09:00 AM
It also helps you as it means if a parent is late collecting you know how much to charge and if a parent queries charges you have a form of reference.

rickysmiths
06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I had a complaint made against me last year and I was able to prove the parent wrong on several levels because I had an attendance for the child and it was signed by the parent each week. Getting the parent to sign means they are confirming the time their child was with you on those days at those times and that you have informed them. One of the complaints made by my parent was that I had not informed them this was clearly shown to be untrue because they had signed my register and so had been informed regarding the day concerned, the date of which they got wrong too :rolleyes:

I have always used the NCMA register, for all the 18 years I have been minding. I always get the parents to sign each week and because it is an expectation from the start that they sign it has never been a problem. I also think it is important to have a page per child because as in my case, if you have to supply a copy of attendance ever it is a lot easier if the child has their own page, other wise it is impossible to maintain confidentiality.

I have only needed the information once in 18 years, but that once it was key that I was able to supply it to Ofsted and it absolutely meant that the Complaint was not upheld. To me it has been worth getting parents to sign and I will always continue to get them to.