PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour strategy ideas please!

Serendipity
05-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Hello! I would really appreciate some ideas! Over the past couple of weeks I've been having a problem with a girl of 3 who I've been minding for about 6 months. She's happy with me and I know her well, she is strong willed but generally her behaviour is fine in my home. The trouble is, after weeks of walking nicely, she's started to stop on the school run and nothing will induce her to move! Sometimes this is in response to being asked to hold hands when it's busy but sometimes we'll be going along happily and she'll suddenly stop. (We're on a cycle path so there's no danger from cars). I've tried waiting but the time she will wait is getting longer and today it was freezing, I had other children crying with cold, she had taken off her coat and shoes and was lying on the floor, also cold and crying, but simply would not come. I had to call my emergency back up person to come and rescue the other children, at which point she then got up and walked with me. I've tried all the positive reinforcement I can think of; we sing, tell stories, I've used stickers, we bring photos of the lovely activity she's chosen for when we get home, if the weather's ok we use the many parks on the route as a reward. Nothing works! I've spoken with mum and there don't seem to be any problems at home. Her family all put her in a pushchair or pick her up when she cries which is obviously a problem and mum's agreed to make her walk too. This may help in the long term - but how do I get through the school run tomorrow?!

helena_j
05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Can you use a buggy board at all as a last resort?

wendywu
05-12-2012, 10:59 PM
So did you just watch her take her coat and shoes off and lie on the floor.:cold:

I would hold her hand very firmly and make her walk with me or can you put her on a buggy board.

Im afraid it is a battle of wills now

The Juggler
05-12-2012, 11:05 PM
i agree with Wendy. battle of wills.
If I could, and you have space, I'd threaten the buggy otherwise the buggy board.

Serendipity
06-12-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm afraid holding her hand and walking does not work as she simply falls to the floor so I would be dragging her along. Using a buggy board isn't really an option either as I often have two little ones in the double buggy and it would be impossible to push. She's more than capable of walking the short distance but she is too used to just being picked up all the time.