PDA

View Full Version : do you need a food hygiene certificate

Kevin1964
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Just wondering do you really need A food hygiene certificate I got 4 and they all out of date :) If you then of course I'll have to look and do it again. In a past life I was a chef long story.

sarah707
05-12-2012, 06:38 PM
You will need to register with your LA as a food business - and they might ask you to do a course but all LAs have their own rules so you need to check with them first.

My partner is a chef - the children love it when he cooks - not so much when it's my turn :laughing:

Hth :D

JCrakers
05-12-2012, 06:42 PM
By registering with the council food authority they will come round and look at your kitchen. You will need a food hygiene cert to show that you understand about temperatures and storing meats etc.

I did mine online, it wasnt expensive and I got a certificate at the end of it. I had done one previously so it was basically just a refresher and they were pleased when I showed them.

I also have to monitor and write down the fridge temp everyday which is very boring. I note it in my register.
I had to get a fridge thermometer and they also recommended a food thermometer/probe too to make sure the food is at the correct temp. :thumbsup:

bunyip
05-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Call your local EHO. They'll tell you the requirements for your location. Also ask them to let you have a copy of "Safer food - better business, for childminders" I think it's also available as a download from the FSA website, but if your EHO can supply it then you save on printing and get a nice folder too. :)

As a former chef, you'll probably find the guide means you may be doing less food safety admin (eg. you won't be sticking probes everywhere twice a day.) It's also useful as it has some up to date stuff on allergies, etc. and some things which are very specific to feeding babies and young children which you might not have had cause to encounter as a chef.
:)

helena_j
05-12-2012, 08:15 PM
My LA did not ask to see a food hygiene cert however I did do the course and show them I had decided to. I think it looks better and it's easy and cheap enough to do online to.

blue bear
05-12-2012, 10:17 PM
There is a food hygiene course on the forum, £15 I think, there was a discount at one point, have a look around.