PDA

View Full Version : kitchen door

Kevin1964
05-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Just wondering If to put a lock on the kitchen door or just a gate to stop the little ones getting in to the kitchen

lynncjt
05-12-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a baby gate across the kitchen door so that the little ones can only get in when I'm there to supervise.

hectors house
05-12-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a stair gate clad in perspex so children don't touch the dogs, some people use their kitchens as part of their childminding area and put cupboard locks on the doors and just do thorough risk assessments of trailing cables, knifes out of reach, etc

funemnx
05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a kitchen/diner - just made sure there is nothing to harm lo's in lower cupboards :thumbsup:

mrstom
05-12-2012, 05:28 PM
My playroom is accessed through the kitchen.

I keep nasties out of lower cupboards where possible or have cupboard locks. I've only ever forgotten to lock the door to my precious crockery dresser the once!

Bear23
05-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I took off all my downstairs doors lol, i have stair gates instead xx

JCrakers
05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I have a stair gate. :D

Actually if you are in the kitchen cooking you will need a gate as you won't be able to close the door without taking the children with you into the kitchen.

caz3007
05-12-2012, 06:41 PM
I have a gate and also have cupboard locks on the under sink cupboard and the one with the glasses in, just to be extra safe. My kitchen is risk assessed even though the children only go in supervised

miffy
05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't have a gate - my kitchen is in use all the time as that's where we do messy play, painting etc. so it would drive me mad opening and shutting a gate all the time.

When I'm cooking the little ones are only allowed in the kitchen with me if they are sat down at the table either reading, drawing or similar. Usually they choose to play in the lounge (which I can see from the kitchen). Even toddlers quickly get used to this.

Miffy xx

helena_j
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Same as miffy, my little ones have adapted to the same rules ofsted had no issues and I think it's good that children get an awareness of safety etc.

rickysmiths
06-12-2012, 01:17 AM
I have a stair gate. :D

Actually if you are in the kitchen cooking you will need a gate as you won't be able to close the door without taking the children with you into the kitchen.

I have a large kitchen diner which links into the play room via double doors. I don't have a stair gate anywhere and I don't have a door lock on any of the doors or the 12 under counter drawers I have in the kitchen. The children are never unsupervised it is perfectly safe and natural for them to want to come and watch me cooking. All nasties are in the Utility room which has a self adhesive alarm on the door. No child has ever tried to open a cupboard or drawer in the kitchen and when I was inspected a year ago Ofsted we fine with my arrangements.