PDA

View Full Version : a former childminder...

helen_addy
05-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi i'm rather new at this but i'm hoping it is the best place to start! I was registered as a childminder in 2005 and worked for a year before becoming pregnant with the first of now 3. i am wanting to go back to childminding but am unsure if i need go go through the whole process again now it all seems to have changed? any ideas? i have contacted my local childcare services who say and i quote "i wouldn't have thought you would have to do that" any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks Helen

loocyloo
05-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi i'm rather new at this but i'm hoping it is the best place to start! I was registered as a childminder in 2005 and worked for a year before becoming pregnant with the first of now 3. i am wanting to go back to childminding but am unsure if i need go go through the whole process again now it all seems to have changed? any ideas? i have contacted my local childcare services who say and i quote "i wouldn't have thought you would have to do that" any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks Helen

i think your local childcare service need a rethink!

to register as a childminder you need to have completed a childcare course ( CYPOP5 i believe ), have a current first aid, and possibly safeguarding. all these need to be done before you apply to be registered as a childminder. my understanding is that regardless of what qualifications you have, you still have to do the childcare course!

however, i was registered a long time ago, and am not so up to date with exactly what you need! i'm sure someone will be along shortly with more information!

good luck x

Pixie dust
05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I would have thought you would have to start from scratch if you haven't kept your registration open. Like you say there have been a lot of changes. I would ring ofsted and ask.

Kiddleywinks
05-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I re registered a year ago after de-registering in 2006

Although I had done the ICP originally (2004), I had to go through the whole process all over again from scratch.

Contact your local Early Years Team/FIS for advice

sarah707
05-12-2012, 06:30 PM
You have to have the new qualification before you can approach Ofsted to register - so you need to talk to your training people.

Hopefully there will be a course for you soon! :D