PDA

View Full Version : Snow policy??

bulldog
05-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Do any of you have a policy on snow??
Mostly to cover the payment aspect really. I know last time we had snow bad enough to cause disruption and people unable to get to work that a lot of my CM friends lost money.
Parents refused to pay them as they couldnt get the children to them!

What do you do?? :cold:

Mouse
05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
It's covered by my fees policy. If I am open for business, they pay me...simples!

I limit the number of policies I write, so wouldn't bother with a new one specifically for being paid when it snows. If parents start keeping children away due to the weather I may remind them that the place still needs paying for, but don't I wouldn't bother with another policy.

And as all parents pay me in advance, it's never really an issue. If they keep their child off I have already been paid and don't refund it. That's so much easier than trying to get payment out of them afterwards :thumbsup:

bulldog
05-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I get paid in advance by some and also by the day for others.
I was going to write something just to cover these parents. Ive already had probs this week from one who had a poorly child so kept her off but wondered if she had to pay!!
She was having a days hol herself so kept the baby with her, so "is it a day sick or a holiday?" arghhhhhhh!!!!

Mouse
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I get paid in advance by some and also by the day for others.
I was going to write something just to cover these parents. Ive already had probs this week from one who had a poorly child so kept her off but wondered if she had to pay!!
She was having a days hol herself so kept the baby with her, so "is it a day sick or a holiday?" arghhhhhhh!!!!

I charge whatever the reason for the child being off, so again, it's not an issue if the're off on holiday or off sick. They know the only time they don't pay is if I'm off.

If you think you will have problems with some parents then definitely write something before it happens. I still wouldn't do a ploicy as it should be covered in your fees policy & in your contract.

I would do an information letter along the lines of:

Dear parents
As we approach the winter months it is a good time to send out a few remiinders to you all.
-make sure your child is suitable dressed with appropriate foot wear & outdoor clothing
-allow extra time for travelling in bad weather so that you collect your child on time
-refer to your contract & my fees policy regarding payment if you keep your child away from the setting due to bad weather
etc etc

Expland a bit on each point & make it a bit friendlier, so it doesn't look as if you're just sending out a payment reminder!

cathtee
05-12-2012, 09:59 AM
I sent out a newsletter at the end of November giving out my holiday dates for next year as some had asked and on it I mentioned the
looming bad weather and that the children needed to come appropriately dressed and spare clothes and pu a permission slip on the
bottom for them to play in the snow in the garden,

If the schools are closed then it's there choice as to whether tho bring them or not but it they don't come I still charge as I am open.

littletreasures
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I've got a severe weather policy and in it I say that I am not happy to put other people's children at risk driving in bad snow conditions. I say that I remain open and that they can bring their children to me, but I will not be driving to school (I have to drive as it's too far to walk).

Chimps Childminding
05-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I've got a severe weather policy and in it I say that I am not happy to put other people's children at risk driving in bad snow conditions. I say that I remain open and that they can bring their children to me, but I will not be driving to school (I have to drive as it's too far to walk).

Same here!!!!! I HATE driving in the snow and wouldn't consider taking other people's children out with me!!! I am quite happy for them to come to me, but don't ask me to take them to school :panic:

samb
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I also have an "extreme weather" policy in which I state that I will endeavour to remain open unless for some reason I see it would not be safe for the children - eg loss of power/heating/no way of me getting food for all the children etc. I walk the school runs anyway but the school is more likely to close than me. I definitely think it is a good idea to have something in writing for as many different occasions as occurs as parents (me included) like to know what might happen. Some of mine have the option of working from home so at least if I am open they can walk the children here and walk home.

loocyloo
05-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Same here!!!!! I HATE driving in the snow and wouldn't consider taking other people's children out with me!!! I am quite happy for them to come to me, but don't ask me to take them to school :panic:

a few years ago we had very bad deep snow ... a dad turned up on time with his 2 children, telling me it had taken them nearly half an hour to walk to me through all the snow ... children in school uniform ... i asked why they were in school uniform ... so you can take them to school ... school is closed said i ... no one told me was reply ... there have been 4 text messages & 2 emails ( as per school policy!!! ) plus i had rung and left voice mail at home & mobile since 7am! (saying i was open and to wear warm outdoor clothes!) ... he had expected me to take the children to school, despite it being almost past their front door ... goodness how long he thought it would take me! he then told me he had the day off and was going hom to sit in front of TV!!! children just in wellies, no waterproof/warm anything and were frozen & soaked to the skin! luckily they had spare clothes at my house! i was not impressed!

jillplum
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
When we had really bad snow a couple of years ago I offered a pick up service so if the school closed early I would collect children and walk them to my house to wait for parents. Many parent work a good way away and their children would have been waiting ages at school. I also told parents if they arrived at school and it was closed to bring the children to me for the day. All of these were over 8. Parents were happy to have emergency plans in place.

nipper
05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Snow policy...we go out and play in it!:clapping:

jackie 7
05-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes my snow policy is the same, play in it/ Also risk assessment, snow is slippy, cold and wet.\come in when cold or wet.