PDA

View Full Version : Part-Time Childminding?

Pixie
22-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone

I'm pre-reg, due to attend a briefing session soon and would really appreciate your views on a couple of questions I have. Please be kind and let me know what you think!

I'm currently working full-time (not in the field of childcare) and looking into becoming a childminder. One of the things worrying me though is the financial aspect and whether or not I would earn enough to get by, particularly during the first year or so when I would clearly have initial overheads, and perhaps a slow start getting mindees! Now one of my thoughts is that I could perhaps initially continue to work 3 days a week in my current job and work 2 days as a childminder - perhaps for a year or so, until I gain confidence and can see whether or not the financial side could work out for me. What are your thoughts on this?! Would it be extremely difficult to juggle the office job 3 days per week alongside the planning of crafts/activities/contracts/housework (!) and the childminding 2 days per week? Or would it be a good way to start in childminding? Also, do you think I will struggle to find a parent who is looking for just 2 days per week, or is it fairly usual for people to require a childminder for 2 days as opposed to full-time?

My other worry is (yes, I'm a worrier) the fact that I'm inexperienced in childminding and I do not have a background career in childcare - is this going to completely put parents off, what do you think?

I don't want to go into this wearing rose-tinted glasses and need to gather as much info as possible before taking the plunge, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks guys!
Pixie x

Pauline
22-06-2008, 08:46 PM
A friend of mine did just that Pixie and it worked out perfectly. As soon as she had enough children to make it pay, she gave up her job and started minding full time.

As regards parents and inexperience - I don't think it should affect things if you are able show that you are capable and know what you are doing (even if you don't! ;)) Look confident and you will come across as confident!

miffy
22-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree with Pauline Pixie - it's a good compromise if you aren't sure whether childminding is for you or not.

Good luck

miffy xx

manjay
22-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it that way and at least you will still have the security of your employed income. I think on the whole most of us are full of part timers so I can't see it being a problem.

You mentioned in another thread that you have a child so you do have some experience. I worked in an office for 20 years before I took the plunge and my only experience was my own children.

Good luck

tulip0803
23-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I think it is very sensible to have a back-up until you get established. Many parents only want a couple of days, the childminders here have lots of part-times.

I minded in England before moving and did not have any experience other than my own children. It did not put people off.

Good luck

Heaven Scent
23-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Go for it girl - it will also give you a chance to see if you like it or not.

Pixie
23-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks very much for your replies! I guess I was looking for reassurance that part-time childminding could work out quite well (for a short period at least) and you all seem to agree that it could. :thumbsup:

Pixie x