PDA

View Full Version : English is just not straight forward!!

JCrakers
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM
My mindee is 4 in January and starts school in Sept13. She knows the first letter of her name and can sound it out (Huh). She can recognise it when we go out. So I thought I would make her a laminated sheet with her name on so that she can use for a dinner mat and look at it regularly.

So Ive got her name in the middle and thought I'd put some pictures on it too so used pictures that begin with the same sound.
Hen, Horse, House, Hedgehog, Heart and Hat :D

I showed her and said...these words also begin with a H.....So far so good....

But then my (just turned) 3yr old mindee sees it and wants to know where hers is. Her name begins with an E but not an 'e' for egg iykwim its an ee sound. (Easy, Eel,)

So now its not so easy :laughing: Any teachers here?

Do I use pictures of Egg, Elephant or is this confusing as its a different sound?

Help, I don't know how they teach it at school and don't want to do something wrong.

jo.jo76
04-12-2012, 02:13 PM
As she's only 3 I'd go with just the pictures that make the same sound as her name, emu, eel, eeyore, easter, eat
When teaching them phonics we explain how letters can make different sounds but I expect she's really not old enough to understand. I usually say E as in egg is the letter name and E as in eeyore is the sound it makes

hectors house
04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I did something similar for the mindees self registration cards - but couldn't find anything in google images that sounded De - (the e needed to sound like e for egg) could find a picture of a den or a desert or dessert but not very obvious what the picture off, (my name is shed, my name is camel, my name is jelly!) in the end I decided as mindee is only 11 months old that a picture of a deer would have to do.