PDA

View Full Version : toilet training policy?

jadavi
03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Does anyone have one they could share?

Cheers

nipper
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Here's mine, although I think I need to go over it again. I really want to omit the bit about potties, as I would really prefer to get my next one (toilet-trained mindee to be, just turned two) to use the toilet and not a potty. Ok for my own kids but not anyone elses iyswim. I also need to look into getting a 'family' toliet seat.

Toilet training & nappies

I am happy to accept babies and children in nappies. I will need you to provide me with the following:

Nappies
Any cream that you use on your child (you will need to sign a consent form)
Baby wipes

I will provide a changing mat, which will be wiped over with antibacterial spray between each use and nappy sacks for the disposal of used nappies. I will always use disposable gloves when changing your child’s nappy to reduce risk. If your child is allergic to these please let me know.

I will change your child regularly and immediately if they have soiled a nappy. I believe that changing a nappy should provide lots of opportunity to communicate with your child and as their understanding grows provide time to discuss basic hygiene issues, preparing them for potty training.

When your child starts to show signs that they are becoming aware of their bodily functions I will arrange a convenient time to meet with you and discuss your plans on toilet training your child. It is unusual for a child to be ready to be potty trained much before their second birthday and for some children it can be a lot later. It is also helpful if children are able to pull down their trousers, tights/skirts as well as pull them back up afterwards. Please do not be concerned if your child shows no signs of being ready yet. It is very important that we work together to potty train your child and pick a suitable time to do it, when we can both dedicate time. If we start the training and your child is not ready then we can stop and start again when they are. Some children take to potty training more quickly whilst for some it is a longer process. The most important thing is that we work together to give your child the support and reassurance they need during this period. I will provide you with daily feedback on how we are progressing with the training.

Please note that for reasons of hygiene (as well as the welfare of my other mindees) potties must remain in the downstairs toilet at all times. Mindees undergoing toilet training are also discouraged from wearing solely their underwear if there are other mindees present.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss any aspect of your child’s potty training.

jadavi
04-12-2012, 01:10 AM
THanks that's helpful.
I wanted to include not accepting childten running around naked from waist down as I have been asked, , not being prepared to have children in just pants if there are still accidents etc. Have had my couch and carpet weed on too often.,..
Feeling more and more it's not my job to do this ....

AliceK
04-12-2012, 10:50 AM
This is taken from my toilet training policy.

I have had children who were obviously not ready and for those children I wrote up a timeline to show parent and explain that the child is not ready. I will not have children constantly weeing over my carpets / sofa / toys etc. I am quite strict about this with parents. Ocassional accidents happen but anything more than that I wont accept.

"When you feel that your child is ready for toilet training I ask that you begin this training at home for at least 4 days. If you have had success during this time then I will follow through and encourage and support your child with this whilst in my care. I will follow your lead if you use a reward based system (eg stickers). I require that the child must be at least 18mths old and showing signs of readiness. Please do not ask me to begin toilet training your child unless you have successfully began this training at home.

I am not allowed for health and safety reasons and safeguarding reasons to allow a child to wander around with no pants / pull-ups on whilst in my care and so would ask that you provide pull-ups or training pants if you prefer for your child to use here whilst learning, mainly for times when we are on outings / school runs etc, until such a time as they can confidently “hold” their wee / poo for a short while and tell me that they require the toilet. Please bear in mind that your child may be much more distracted whilst here and playing with other children than he / she might normally be at home when he / she has one to one time. Also please bear in mind that I am unable to stay in the house all day as I have, as a minimum, school / nursery runs to do and any trips out we may make. It is for this reason that I require your child to wear pull-ups/training pants when out and about until they are confident and accident free at which time I will happily accept your child in pants for the duration.

During toilet training your child will need to be dressed in “user friendly” clothing. Your child will want to help with pulling down / off clothing and so anything too difficult / time consuming will make it harder for your child to get on the toilet / potty in time.

During toilet training I ask that initially you provide at least 3 complete changes of clothing, including socks. Soiled/wet clothing will be bagged up to take home.

I will not discipline your child for having an accident. Best results are achieved when the process is kept calm."

xxxx

nipper
05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
AliceK, I like your policy, it's short and to the point.

AliceK
05-12-2012, 01:48 PM
AliceK, I like your policy, it's short and to the point.

Thanks, that's me, short and to the point :laughing:

xx

jackie 7
05-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks Alice that is fantastic, I need to have a toilet traing policy and will do one like yours.