PDA

View Full Version : yikes!!!

kindredspirits
22-06-2008, 07:21 PM
our oven is kept turned off at the wall as my LO has recently learnt how to turn the knobs for the oven and hobs on and off. after a very long day (been up all night with LO) DH asked me to make him some bread, so i duely did it and put it on top of the pre-heating oven to rise a bit, covered in a damp tea towel - DH says it's getting smokey in here and i go out to find that the teatowel is seconds from bursting into flames... LO had turned the hob on to full power but i didn't give it a thought to check before i flicked the switch for the oven! :blush:
so angels are watching us.... but don't tell ofsted i nearly burnt the house down and the smoke alarm didn't go off!! hahaha! :censored:

Spangles
22-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow that was close! What a nightmare!

You live and learn though, next time you won't forget to check.

Can't you keep your little one out of the kitchen at all? My son can't get in as we have a stairgate across because he's a fiddler and experimenter too!

Pauline
22-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Your secret is safe with us! Glad it didn't turn into something worse!

No bread for you tomorrow then???? :)

breezy
22-06-2008, 07:25 PM
that was close, bet the smoke alarm goes off when you burn toast though!

Jinx
22-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh my word, that was a close one, but so easily done!

Maybe DH will make his own bread next time!!!! :laughing:

Jinx x

Annie_T
22-06-2008, 10:21 PM
oh dear not good, least nothing happened - phew

foxy lady
23-06-2008, 09:11 AM
omg i did that the other day
but i managed to melt the bottom of my kettle
its really sacry isnt it?

venus89
23-06-2008, 09:15 AM
We had the same situation - the tea towel really did go up in flames My silly husband then threw it on the lawn and 'thought it would go out' :rolleyes: . Did the smoke alarm murmur? No
But when we're cooking.. beep beep beep. Useless thing :laughing:

Pudding Girl
23-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Close call! phew!!

Is your alarm mains or battery?

tulip0803
23-06-2008, 09:39 AM
That was lucky.

I came home the other day and thought it was warm when I came in the back door, I didn't go into the kitchen for about an hour and then found that DS (16) had left the hob on full when he had made lunch and then gone out:eek: it was now 5 o'clock. Luckily he hadn't left anything near the hob. Kitchen was lovely and warm though:rolleyes:

kindredspirits
23-06-2008, 10:08 AM
i'm pleased its not just me!!! (not that i want anyone else to catch fire but ykwim!) :D
our smoke alarm is battery powered but gets checked weekly.