PDA

View Full Version : think i need to take myself off the early years register :(

mammumof4
01-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Im so upset :(

my first aid expired in october and because i had stupidly left booking onto a course untill
the last minute i couldnt get on on untill today and next saturday
OFSTED were ok with this providing my insurance company said it was ok and
i was booked onto a course (i did have a long break from minding anyway due to moving house
and having a baby of my own)
BUT.... i couldnt get to the course today as the car wouldnt start!!!

the next available course isnt untill next month, and even that would be near impossible
as its week days and i can only do saturdays, so now im looking at febuary!! :(

the only thing i can do is call my parents and tell them i can no longer offer care??
i cant imagine OFSTED being ok with this, and i wouldnt feel i was doing my job
properly without my first aid upto date. imagine if a child had an accident!! :(

can i carry on with my over 8's afterschool kids?

i feel like a rubbish childminder and sooo stupid for allowing this to happen
i should be more organised than this, i dont even deserve to be a childminder!

mum26
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Surely there must be some way around this for the sake of a few months. It is not as though you haven't done a first aid course - just that it needs to be up-dated. I know this is really important but so is continuity of care for the children you look after. When I took one of my first aid courses a few years ago I had a tummy bug before the start of the second session (carried out over 2 Saturdays) and had to do that at a later date - would this be a possibility that you could attend the second session and do the first session at a later date - if yours is a 2 session course as well? I suppose that would depend on the course content but it might be worth a try. If not, is there any sort of on-line refresher course you could do in the meantime?

Hope you can sort something out.

blue bear
01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I've no idea, can you ring ofsted again for guidance? Hopefully someone with experience of this will come along soon.

dette
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
you're not rubbish.xx if you were you wouldnt care and you clearly do..we are all really busy and it is easy to miss things .even importaint things.its not like you've decided its not important or you just cant be bothered.you've tried.go on line and get number for st johns or red cross ,there may even be an independant first aid trainer around.if youre prepared to travel you will find one sooner xx good luck

sarah707
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
You need to ring Ofsted on Monday and see what they suggest - however, you are breaching the conditions of your registration by not having first aid and they do take that seriously :(

All the registers - EYFS and Childcare Register require first aid so you can't stay on one and give up the other I'm afraid.

Best advice is to ring Ofsted and take it from there. Hugs x

LauraS
01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Can you pay to do it via another provider? I did mine privately (LA were happy with it), half of the 12 hours were online and the other half were with the trainer face to face on a Saturday morning - it meets all of the Ofsted guidance and as really good. It's cost you more, but thats better than losing your business.

melco
01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Can you pay to do it via another provider? I did mine privately (LA were happy with it), half of the 12 hours were online and the other half were with the trainer face to face on a Saturday morning - it meets all of the Ofsted guidance and as really good. It's cost you more, but thats better than losing your business.

I agree. When I did my childminding course I knew a few people who were arranging to get a hall where they could all do the first aid course together. I would ring round and see who could do it and then see who else you know who need to take the course. I even got an email from my LA today telling me that someone who was starting childminding was arranging a course and were looking for more people. I would look into asap you never know there maybe a course you can go on a lot sooner than Feb!!

HTH

melco

karensmart4
01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
A local cm couldn't get on a First Aid course until about 4 wks after hers had run out AND she was being Ofsted inspected, she had the proof that she was booked on a course and she did a risk assessment stating that she had completed ** courses over the time that she had been minding, she had read and re-read her book she was given on her last course and she was confident that she could cope in an emergency. Ofsted were fine with this and she had to send a copy of her cert as soon as she received it.

I had a problem with my First Aid and I did as others suggested, I phoned around all of the local nurseries, pre-schools and schools to see if I could jump onto one of their groups.... no-one had one booked but one did give me the number of Essential Training (Devon based but work further afield), I phoned them and they were very helpful. I managed to get onto a course very quickly and it only cost £72 compared to £110 I paid for St Johns last time.

So I would say, don't give up and :group hug:

mammumof4
05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
thanks everyone!!
sorry i posted this and then havent had chance to come on here
i managed to get on a course thurs and fri!! :D
so all is well and OFSTED are happy.
phew!!

dette
05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
thanks everyone!!
sorry i posted this and then havent had chance to come on here