PDA

View Full Version : Parent making underpayments, starting to get on my nerves

nipper
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
One of my parents works for a bank, so I suppose that makes him a banker i.e. able to do basic sums, add up, read an invoice???
I make it three times now, that when issued with an invoice (the majority of the payment is made through childcare vouchers) he thrusts a bundle of twenty or ten pound notes under my nose and is usually a couple of pounds short. I never ever let it go (give an immediate receipt) and mention it straight away and his tone is usually one of surprise at which I am totally flabbergasted. He pays monthly in advance, last month I stuck the remainder on this months invoice and then last week when he came to collect he handed the remainder over for December...£8 short. I don't know which banking system he is working to...then again these days, who knows?
What I need is a nicely written, but 'please don't take me for a fool, after all you wouldn't walk into a supermarket and attempt to get your shopping for less' type letter which puts the point over very succinctly.

dette
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
how about asking if parents pay in cash could it be please put in an envelope with the correct amount enclosed and clearly written on ,(just like at school)as its not always possible to provide the correct change and you like to have all payments settled in full on time ....:)

LauraS
01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I've had the same and I'm starting to get a bit more hard-nosed about it. I'd issue the invoice and write clearly on the bottom that payment must be made in full on the first of the month (or whatever) and failure to pay the invoice in full on the date due will result in refusal of care and will incur late fees of £x per day until payment received, as per my policies.

I'd then give the invoice to the parent and bring his attention to that line, telling him that I was having to tighten up my policy as I was finding it hard to keep track due to various parents paying in dribs and drabs over the course of the month. Smile sweetly :D

Then when it comes to the first of the month, if that hasn't solved the problem, point to the nearest cashpoint.

I know thats harsh but I'm learning the hard way why I'm ultimately doing this - its to put a roof over my kids heads, not to subsidise someone elses lifestyle at their expense.

What do your policies say re late fees etc?

nipper
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh dear, I have just checked their contract. Silly me, I put £5 per day for late payments. :blush:
So £8 becomes £13. I love the number 13:angry:

miffy
02-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Do you check the payment in front of him? That's what I would do then if it's short you can ask for the balance straight away - if he says he hasn't got it then state your late payment fee. I bet he wouldn't do it more than once if you charged £5 a day late fees.

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
02-12-2012, 08:56 AM
I would do exactly the same as Miffy :thumbsup:

bunyip
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
You want a letter? :idea: Here goes:-

Dear Mr Innumerate Pillock,

It has come to our attention that, due to a shortfall in payments, your Childcare Account is overdrawn to the sum of £##.## . As you have no overdraft arrangement in place, I have to inform you that the following charges will apply:-

1. Late payment fees @ £5.00 per day.
2. Unarranged overdraft fee @ £50.00 per month.
3. Charge for sending you this snotty letter @£50.00

Further snotty letters will be sent at weekly intervals, incurring an additional charge. I'm sure you know the pattern, as you've been doing it in your line of work for as long as anyone can remember.

Please attend to this matter immediately. Failure to do so may result in the Bank of Childminder suspending your account and all attendant services. Please note: your child may be under threat of repossession if you fall behind with the repayments.

Yours dangerously,
:angry: etc.

Any good? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'd suggest to him that the combination of voucher and cash payments were obviously causing him problems with calculating the balance, so you'll be avoiding further confusion by refusing to accept voucher payments if it happens again. At the very least, I'd arrange a contract review with some "get tough" clauses added. As he's paying in advance, it might be tricky to refuse care (? :confused:) but threatening to withdraw the priviledge of paying by voucher might concentrate his mind.

Hope it all works out well. :thumbsup:

nipper
02-12-2012, 03:05 PM
THAT IS FANTAS:laughing:TIC
Thank you Bunyip for brightening up my Sunday!!!