PDA

View Full Version : Leaving children with a visitor

cazzamuttitt
29-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi there,

I am a relatively newly registered childminder and going full time from January.

I rang Ofsted today to ask if my parents can have a CRB check done because they will want to visit regularly to see my kids, and I don't want to be worrying about what to do if I just need to pop to the loo or see to a child in the bathroom.

They said that I can't get them CRB checked because they don't live with me but that I should never leave a minded child with a visitor at any time.

Please can you give me advice on what you do in these situations!! Obviously I completely trust my parents but that's not my point.

Thanks
Caroline

k1rstie
29-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi there,

I am a relatively newly registered childminder and going full time from January.

I rang Ofsted today to ask if my parents can have a CRB check done because they will want to visit regularly to see my kids, and I don't want to be worrying about what to do if I just need to pop to the loo or see to a child in the bathroom.

They said that I can't get them CRB checked because they don't live with me but that I should never leave a minded child with a visitor at any time.

Please can you give me advice on what you do in these situations!! Obviously I completely trust my parents but that's not my point.

Thanks
Caroline

Although you do sometimes have to go to the loo, the children would be within your sight or hearing at all times, so you would not be leaving them supervised solely by any visitor.

But you should make a record of their visit in your visitors book/log just to cover yourself and them too.

FussyElmo
30-11-2012, 06:00 AM
If you have a visitor to your house regardless of whom they are - if they havent got a crb then take the children with you if you go toilet etc.

Yes its exterme but you are protecting yourself from any allegations.

I know its your parents BUT you are also protecting them from any allegation too.

Kiddleywinks
30-11-2012, 06:28 AM
So if a visitor has had a CRB, and you need to nip to the loo, you are allowed to leave the children with them?

I ask as I had a near miss yesterday, with my NVQ assessor when a LO went to the loo and did a no2 (typical), so needed me to sort him out. As it was, my assessor was just leaving anyway but it did raise the question between us, and neither of us were entirely sure, as I haven't CRB'd her

FussyElmo
30-11-2012, 06:33 AM
So if a visitor has had a CRB, and you need to nip to the loo, you are allowed to leave the children with them?

I ask as I had a near miss yesterday, with my NVQ assessor when a LO went to the loo and did a no2 (typical), so needed me to sort him out. As it was, my assessor was just leaving anyway but it did raise the question between us, and neither of us were entirely sure, as I haven't CRB'd her

Yes as long as they are crbed checked.

Surely your assessor should be crbed anyhow?

Kiddleywinks
30-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Yes she is, but as she is a 'visitor' (once a fortnight/month) to my setting I did wonder if I needed to have her 'done' as it were

FussyElmo
30-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Yes she is, but as she is a 'visitor' (once a fortnight/month) to my setting I did wonder if I needed to have her 'done' as it were

No her crb will be fine :thumbsup:

sarah707
30-11-2012, 08:30 AM
On my safeguarding training this week we were told that the rules for CRB checks are going to change and, if someone already has a CRB, they might not need a new one.

So if for example your assessor has a CRB for her work then you will just need to log her in and out somewhere - not necessarily a visitor book but note her presence on the premises somewhere.

Then when you are needed in the loo or making a cuppa in the kitchen etc you can take a sensible approach to child safety - keep the children in your sight and / or hearing at all times and ensure the visitor is with them on their own for as little time as possible.

You will already have a visitor procedure and risk assessment - if not written down then clearly set out in your head.

We have had the 'do you take the children to the loo with you?' chat a few times on here and there is no easy answer.

Personally I don't take children to the toilet with me because I feel there are more risks associated with that than there are with leaving them to play for a few moments while I dash out and back in again... others have different views.

With your parents Caroline I think you just need to use your common sense - if you look after an older girl who likes to sit on knees then keep her away from your dad because she might be a ticking bomb as far as innocently spoken allegations go... a 1 year old who curls up and falls asleep on your mum or dad's knee would not be a problem... do you see what I mean? Risk assess for the children in your care at the time and take a measured approach...

Hth :D

Kiddleywinks
30-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks Sarah.
I do log any visitors - not that I normally get any when I'm working lol, but suddenly I found myself doubting myself so thought it best to double check :thumbsup:

cazzamuttitt
30-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone,

There's no way I would take kids into the loo with me, that's going too far in my opinion, I may have 6 kids in my house (some of them aged 7) and couldn't fit them all in with me!!!

If I had younger children I could put them in a travel cot upstairs.

So are you saying that if I get my parents CRB checked it is less of a problem (I am not going out and leaving kids with them or anything).

Thanks
Caroline

lilac_dragon
02-12-2012, 08:47 PM
On my safeguarding training this week we were told that the rules for CRB checks are going to change and, if someone already has a CRB, they might not need a new one.

So if for example your assessor has a CRB for her work then you will just need to log her in and out somewhere - not necessarily a visitor book but note her presence on the premises somewhere.

Then when you are needed in the loo or making a cuppa in the kitchen etc you can take a sensible approach to child safety - keep the children in your sight and / or hearing at all times and ensure the visitor is with them on their own for as little time as possible.

You will already have a visitor procedure and risk assessment - if not written down then clearly set out in your head.

We have had the 'do you take the children to the loo with you?' chat a few times on here and there is no easy answer.

Personally I don't take children to the toilet with me because I feel there are more risks associated with that than there are with leaving them to play for a few moments while I dash out and back in again... others have different views.

Hth :D

Hi sarah you say here that the rules re crb's will be changing so that only 1 is needed, - this came up at a Christmas meal last night, but no-one could confirm it. Any idea when it will come innto force?

sarah707
04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi sarah you say here that the rules re crb's will be changing so that only 1 is needed, - this came up at a Christmas meal last night, but no-one could confirm it. Any idea when it will come innto force?

Here is some information - you'll need to follow the links to find out more :D

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) | Home Office (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime/vetting-barring-scheme/)

lisa1968
04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I may be wrong here, but I was always told that you can only leave minded children WITH ANOTHER REGISTERED CHILDMINDER unless it was an absolute emergency.