PDA

View Full Version : Parts of the body

It's a small world
29-11-2012, 02:36 PM
At what age should a child be able recognize parts of their body ? I have a 27 month old who can only get nose right and has no idea where the rest of their parts are ie - eyes , ears, mouth . Always points to head or gets upset when me and other mindess play games with pointing to body ie head, shoulders knees and toes. Try to breach subject with mum who tells me they are very clever and know this and that but im seeing no evidence of it !!!

nipper
29-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I have an 18 month old who knows her nose, mouth, eyes and ears...well most of the time. I would say by 27 months they should know, unless she is like my 24 month old mindee who is very, very 'selective' with whom she divulges her information...grrrr. Again mum is always saying 'ooh she can do x,y,z'.
Not on my watch she can't.

Ripeberry
29-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I've got a mindee aged 28 months now and he's quite good with his body parts. I've done the usual naming games but the one that seems to make him learn them well is the 'What is ticklish?' game. I have a puppet parrot and he thinks its great fun for the parrot to nibble his elbow, knee, foot ect. He will shout out the places he wants 'tickled' :D

It's a small world
29-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks . Im really worried 2.5 year check due soon and mum doesnt seem to be aware of lo being behind ( very very select wordsin fact more sounds. can distinguish some words but mainly roars and couple of others I dont think anywhere near the amount they should be saying or even stringing sentences together. Will try some of your methods and see if any work thanks again x

Candy apple
30-11-2012, 06:48 AM
maybe say the body names a lot will help, like lets blow your nose, can i wipe your mouth, look your ears are cold and stuff like that. i hope i'm not out of turn as i know you all have more experince.

FussyElmo
30-11-2012, 06:53 AM
maybe say the body names a lot will help, like lets blow your nose, can i wipe your mouth, look your ears are cold and stuff like that. i hope i'm not out of turn as i know you all have more experince.

No ones replies offering advice ,will ever be taken out of turn.

Just becasue you are new doesnt mean you wont have valid points to make and sometimes a fresh pair of eyes :D