PDA

View Full Version : Avent bottle with anti-colic collars

nipper
29-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Mindee aged 10 months will not drink her formula for love nor money. She sounds as if she's taking it but when I check to see how much she has had...she's only had about 1 1/2-2 oz. She has these colic collars which fit inside the top of the bottle. Isn't 10 months too old to be still having these, especially she is now on solids? I'm wondering if they are interfering with her having the bottle. Her mum has already changed the formula from SMA to Aptamil. I think she might just be one of these children who can live without calcium in the form of milk, but get it through cheese and other dairy.

k1rstie
29-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Mindee aged 10 months will not drink her formula for love nor money. She sounds as if she's taking it but when I check to see how much she has had...she's only had about 1 1/2-2 oz. She has these colic collars which fit inside the top of the bottle. Isn't 10 months too old to be still having these, especially she is now on solids? I'm wondering if they are interfering with her having the bottle. Her mum has already changed the formula from SMA to Aptamil. I think she might just be one of these children who can live without calcium in the form of milk, but get it through cheese and other dairy.

is the collar a segmented thing with a tube down inside. - my lo aged 11 months has one of these in her big bottles too.

I am always amazed everytime I have a new baby start what new stuff (thinking of a word beginning with c really here!) that the parents (think they have to ) buy!

I often have to ask 'what this and whats it for?'

nipper
29-11-2012, 02:37 PM
It doesn't have a tube like the Doctor Brown's bottles (they are the proper anti-colic bottles aren't they?) it's like a ring which fits inside the bottle part and overlaps where the collar and teat are. I originally thought it was meant to stop leaking bottles as my two both used avent bottles and they were forever leaking once you had warmed up the milk and shook it!!!!

Surely she can't still have colic. I'm going to ask mum tonight.

nipper
29-11-2012, 02:39 PM
As a very wise 'elderly' health visitor said to me once...there's no such thing as colic, just an immature digestive system!

silvermist
29-11-2012, 04:09 PM
is the collar a segmented thing with a tube down inside. - my lo aged 11 months has one of these in her big bottles too.

I am always amazed everytime I have a new baby start what new stuff (thinking of a word beginning with c really here!) that the parents (think they have to ) buy!
I often have to ask 'what this and whats it for?'

My lo of 15 months still has those!!

nipper
29-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I asked mum when she collected and she said they are still using them because it stops the milk leaking, especially when daddy feeds her. Flippin' men eh!
I might try her without and see if it makes any difference to how she takes the bottle.

tinkerbelle
29-11-2012, 05:02 PM
i still use them with my daughter and the dr brown straws if a bottle comes with these then surely they are there for a reason maybe shes just gone off the milk

Candy apple
29-11-2012, 06:10 PM
dont try it without the bottle will leak they have to be in on the bottle if its the white rings with the blue band on. the baby i have used to have them and i tried it without and milk came out every where. may be she needs a bigger teat, my baby was having a number 4 when he was older like your minded baby, what number does she have? its written on the side of the teat of its an avent teat.

Paulab
29-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't think you can use the bottles with out them fitted they will leak, ask parents to provide new bottles without them, I used them for my dd2 and they realease milk slower to stop guzzling with doesn't help with colic/reflux, hence why lo is having trouble x

winstonian
29-11-2012, 08:38 PM
A little one I look after has these and I wondered what they were for! :blush:

nipper
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
may be she needs a bigger teat, my baby was having a number 4 when he was older like your minded baby, what number does she have? its written on the side of the teat of its an avent teat.

Doh!!!
Candy apple, thanks so much for that I never even thought about the flow of the teat. How could I have been so forgetful?
I remember we used the variflow flow teats with dd...it was quite funny watching grandparents trying to feed her and explaining how to align the notches on the teat with her nose...and it's only been six years!