PDA

View Full Version : Just been rear-ended!!

migimoo
29-11-2012, 09:53 AM
SOOOO cross-sitting waiting for schol run traffic to move with 3 LO's in the car and this stupid woman has just driven straight into the back of me...I pulled to the side and got out to check LO's were ok and to exchange details and she drove of!!

Took her reg and followed to where she parked in the next street when I got out and asked her why she'd driven off after hitting me she pretended she didnt know what I meant...showed her i had reg written down-she said "oh,very sorry" and went to walk off!!:panic:

Told her either she gave me her insurance details or I would be reporting her for leaving the scene of an accident (all the while smiling sweetly and giving thumbs up to LO's in car)...."I don't know....erm ring husband" (hardly spoke english)

Have rang hubby-he also has very little english and is trying to say he will fix it....erm,don't think so love....so this morning will be wasted getting quotes for repair...grrrr:angry:

Have let mum's know and done written incident reports is that ok?

silvermist
29-11-2012, 10:03 AM
SOOOO cross-sitting waiting for schol run traffic to move with 3 LO's in the car and this stupid woman has just driven straight into the back of me...I pulled to the side and got out to check LO's were ok and to exchange details and she drove of!!

Took her reg and followed to where she parked in the next street when I got out and asked her why she'd driven off after hitting me she pretended she didnt know what I meant...showed her i had reg written down-she said "oh,very sorry" and went to walk off!!:panic:

Told her either she gave me her insurance details or I would be reporting her for leaving the scene of an accident (all the while smiling sweetly and giving thumbs up to LO's in car)...."I don't know....erm ring husband" (hardly spoke english)

Have rang hubby-he also has very little english and is trying to say he will fix it....erm,don't think so love....so this morning will be wasted getting quotes for repair...grrrr:angry:

Have let mum's know and done written incident reports is that ok?

OMG! Hope you are all ok, it can be a real shock! I cant believe she walked away...twice!!! Good luck sorting it out. As for what you need to do, Im not entirely sure but think you need to inform parents, inform your insurance company, both car and public liability and write the incident up. Not sure about Ofsted but as no one is hurt then probably not. Hopefully someone with better knowledge will come along xxx

Kiddleywinks
29-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Be careful, sounds like she may not be insured - why else would she drive off?!

Hope you and the LO's are ok

migimoo
29-11-2012, 10:22 AM
no point telling my insurers as he wants to pay cash for the repairs....in all likelihood they probably don't have any insurance-it's rife in my town,think we are number 1 in the country for uninsured drivers and false insurance claims....yay us!:blush::blush:.

I know the 'right' thing to do is call the police in that case but then my car wouldn't get repaired:(

Everyone was fine btw-in fact the 7 and 4 yr old sisters I have found it all very exciting-when we were following her they were shouting "get her!!!":laughing:

I was proud of how calm I kept....I usually cry at stuff like that-soppy moo!

hectors house
29-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Think I would ring the Police and tell them this woman drove away from scene of accident and reluctant to give insurance details, and ring insurance company (although if this woman isn't insured and you decide to pay for repairs yourself this would still go down as an incident against your insurance history - because you have notified them), so maybe get quotes for repairs today and decide whether to get money directly out of this woman, pay for it yourself or make claim through insurance company and hope she was insured!

Hope you are all ok - I expect you are feeling very angry, shocked and relieved it wasn't worse!:group hug:

loocyloo
29-11-2012, 10:37 AM
migimoo, hope you are ok.

xxx

eddie
29-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Well done for keeping calm - these things are very upsetting! I cried when I broke down :blush:. Glad all are ok. Don't you just love school runs.............

bunyip
29-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Poor you. :(

Report the whole incident now, including her failure to stop. If you try to introduce that fact later, she'll just say you made it up cos it wasn't reported earlier.

Hope you're ok. Look out for any soreness in the neck/back today - not uncommon with rear-end RTAs.
:group hug:

littletreasures
29-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Hope you're all ok. I hope they are insured so you can get the money for repairs. I would report them to the police.

I was stationary and someone backed in to me at speed with road rage due to someone coming out of a side road in front of him. I got his insurance to pay for new car seats for the 2 babies. I got written information from the car seat manufacturers to say they should be changed.

A month later, when I had just got the front repaired, someone drove in to me while I was stationary at a red light, luckily no children with me that time.

It wasn't as if I was driving a small car either, it's a flipping Volvo XC90 so big enough for both of these people to see!!!!

migimoo
29-11-2012, 11:16 AM
The woman's husband is saying I get it repaired-give him the bill and he'll pay for the repair....apparently "is not problem...I make fix...is ok!":p

I agree that I should inform police as 99% sure they have no insurance and SOOO cross that she drove off but if I do that i'm sure he won't be quite so willing to pay nicely or quickly and my boot won't close now, hubby says it's a waste of time and we have quite high excess on our insurance-more than repair....just makes my blood boil when we pay out £100's a year in insurance and so many don't bother.:angry:

Do you think if i ring my local police and explain what's happened but say I don't want them to do anything until repair is done explaining why as reasons i've given here then they would agree to that?

Tealady
29-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I was rear ended by a taxi. The cabby wanted to sort out outside of insureance as his premium would shoot up. As I was working and therefore had children in the car I refused and insisted we go through insurance.

I would do it all by the book as you were working. It's not worth the reprocussions if you don't. Ofsted weren't fussed as nobody hurt but they did log it. Also if they are insured then their insurers will deal with it all so you don't have the faff of quotes etc.

bunyip
29-11-2012, 11:33 AM
The woman's husband is saying I get it repaired-give him the bill and he'll pay for the repair....apparently "is not problem...I make fix...is ok!":p

I agree that I should inform police as 99% sure they have no insurance and SOOO cross that she drove off but if I do that i'm sure he won't be quite so willing to pay nicely or quickly and my boot won't close now, hubby says it's a waste of time and we have quite high excess on our insurance-more than repair....just makes my blood boil when we pay out £100's a year in insurance and so many don't bother.:angry:

Do you think if i ring my local police and explain what's happened but say I don't want them to do anything until repair is done explaining why as reasons i've given here then they would agree to that?

I'm pretty sure if you report something to the police they're under a duty of care to act on it. I don't think they'd wait until you'd sorted out the private arrangements over the repair.

That said, exactly what sort of guarantee do you have that the bloke is going to keep his word. Are you sure he's going to honour his 'promise'? Has he said, "get a quote and I'll give you the money in advance"? What if you pay to get it fixed, rock up at his place with the bill, and he denies ever having offered you anything? :(

caz3007
29-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I think I would get in touch with the Police, not sure if the motor insurance bureau would cover this if they arent insured. I would get a quote and get in touch with the guy and say you need the money up front, but feel that if you dont report it today, you could cause yourself some problems.

Did giggle at your mindies

BuggsieMoo
29-11-2012, 12:25 PM
We had this happen to us on 5th Oct and DD (5) was blue lighted to local hospital complaining of neck and head pain. However police man said to us (as I called them and an ambulance for my DD and one for the other driver as she was having a panic attack at the wheel after hitting us) that if it involves children then you need to go to hospital and get checked out. Things like whiplash can come on a few hours later (which ended up being the case with me and my DD) and if you wanted to claim injuries against the other party/their insurance etc then you need to have seen a Dr - ideally the hospital. We did this and I have received a pay out from the insurance for my injuries but as my DD was worse (head bump - nice lump came up, neck injury and time off school) she will be awarded damages by a judge and if goes over £1000 this will go into a trust fund for her until she is 18. My damages also included loss of earnings as I lost 3 days wages through being in agony. My husband also got awarded money for having to care for us and take time off work and we could also claim for any costs for a hire car whilst ours took nearly 2 weeks to be fixed - hers (the other driver) was a write off.

I hope you are all ok xx

smurfette
29-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Be very careful agreeing to it being sorted outside of insurance I had this once and had awful problems getting the money out of the guy and in the end didn't get all of it.. I would think you could go into the police station and ask for advice on how to handle it and tell them your concerns .. Hubby is a policeman I will check with him and get back to you

Hope u r all ok, laughed at mindees!!

k1rstie
29-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I would do it all by the book as you were working. It's not worth the reprocussions if you don't. Ofsted weren't fussed as nobody hurt but they did log it. Also if they are insured then their insurers will deal with it all so you don't have the faff of quotes etc.

I agree with tealady.

several years ago, a lady down the road reversed at speed into me at 90 degrees across the road (a very long and strange story).

Husband was saying he would sort it all out, bla bla. But phoned insurance company straight away. I made a log of every conversation i had with her, insurance companies, etc. It was all on scrappy pieces of paper and all different colours . It was obvious it was real.

Her neightbour wrote a statement that stated that I had driven into the side of her - this statement disappeared when we got to court -- it was the only thing i did not make a copy of, as I thought it would be used later if needed.

My step-father is a retired police officer, and used to do all the accident investigations. A few days before court, he got his huge tapemeasure out, and his camera, and took a set of brilliant photo's that showed the neightbour could not have seen it out of her kitchen window as she stated (she was selling her house at the time, and I downloaded the photo of her kitchen, and that also proved she could not have seen it happen). Plus photo's of where she had driven from, and to, plus where I was driving, and the layout of the road. We also downloaded google earth maps to show layout of road, her house, mine, directions of travel etc.

10 months later, we were all in court! She produced her list of all conversations, it was all written in the same pen, and all very neat, and was just a copy of her statement but with more punctuation. It was definatly written way after the event. We showed her solicitor my log. Hers was agreed not to be used!!

My step-father and husband came into court with me. He explained to the judge about the photos. My oh never said a word!!

I won because it was not my fault - but the other side definatly wanted it to be my fault. A bit embarrasing now on the school run!!

Top tips --- log all calls and converations - with everyone
my photo's were very clear showing road,marking etc, plus car damage. They were printed in A4.
take copies of all statements etc that you are asked to sign, look at etc

nipper
29-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else who has said about doing it through insurance. Can you not pop into your local police station and seek advice? Surely they will need to know about the insurance issues with the other party. Sounds very much to me like they are not insured, but could be proved wrong.
Hope you're not in too much pain.x

RuthJ
29-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Aw, you poor thing. What a horrible way to start the day. Hope you get it sorted x

mushpea
29-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Oh gosh I do hop your all ok
NO no no, if you get it fixed and give him the bill whats the realistic chance of him paying! he either pays up front or you want insurance details and I would definatly report him as he could do this to others who are not so fortunate in getting his number or of not being injured.

migimoo
29-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Right......hubby rang his uncle who is ex police and he said the same as many of you have said on here....in fact if I didn't report it to police then I could be prosecuted myself for not reporting it...who knew eh?

Went to local station and asked to complete a self-report of a road traffic collision...officer took all details and logged incident, I need to return with form within 7 days.

Other person has no intention of going through his insurers and not sure how I can make him tbh.

Rang Morton Michel and they said I need to report it to my car insurers but even though i'm not claiming off my insurance it will still be flagged as an accident and my premium may go up....seems very unfair!

LauraS
29-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I agree with the others about going through your insurance. We had a similar incident recently when H rear ended.someone. We.considered not goinog through insurance (was all reported to police and above board etc) because H has been driving since he was 17 and never had an accident so we didn't really know how it works, and it just seemed cheaper. However we were advised that if we didn't go through insurance and a year down the line the other driver claimed compensation for injuries (real or fabricated) we would have a huge problem. That could be the case for you too, whether the accident was her fault or not x

It's unfair on you that your premium could rise but don't think its always the case when dealing with an uninsured driver, depends on the insurer... do you have protected no claims or anything?

migimoo
29-11-2012, 07:00 PM
No protected no claims but there's no way i'm claiming on my insurance anyway,our excess is £200/£300 i think-I'll give him the quote tomorrow and say it needs paying BEFORE repair or I will be reporting it to the police as leaving scene of an accident.(though i've already done that will take 7 days to process)

Worst case scenario,she's not insured so gets passed over to police but we get no payment-then my hubby's friend can fix it and we'll pay out of our own pocket...we really weren't hit hard and as handbrake or foot brake weren't on the car moved forward taking the brunt of the hit,it didn't even cross my mind to take LO's to hospital as some have said as they get shaken up more going over the huge speed bumps round here but have asked their mums to let me know how they are later.

Thanks for all your advice and good wishes as always.

Tealady
29-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I was rear ended by a taxi. The cabby wanted to sort out outside of insureance as his premium would shoot up. As I was working and therefore had children in the car I refused and insisted we go through insurance.

The Taxi driver didn't provide me with his insurance details as he didn't have them on him, nor did he reply to my calls or texts... However as I had his name & vehicle registration my insurerers were able to locate his insurance details on their database. So if he has no intention of going through his insurers, going through yours will give him no choice.

Candy apple
30-11-2012, 06:56 AM
this all sounds very scary, i am glad you and the chidlren are ok. i dont know about insurance but something does not sound right with these people. i hope you can get it all sorted out.

LittleLegsCM
30-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Glad you were all OK.

I definitely agree going to the police was the best thing. If they havent got any insurance and you hadnt reported it, you would have felt awful if they had had a more serious accident in the future. At least this way the police can find out & hopefully give them some sort of kick up the backside to get themselves 'legal to drive'

Hope you get your car sorted x

caz3007
30-11-2012, 10:15 AM
We got rear ended whilst stationary at traffic lights and we didnt have to pay the excess as it wasnt our fault. We didnt lose our no claims either, but think it may have been protected

handeme
30-11-2012, 10:15 AM
In my previous job I was a legal exec that dealt with RTAs. I had the lovely job of going backwards and forwards with insurance claims and none insured drivers. Should he not be insured you are able to make a claim through the motor insurance bereau for your losses. It is a long process to get your money back but you will get it back x

migimoo
30-11-2012, 12:51 PM
That's good to hear Handeme.

Just rang him with quote from my local bodywork place £600+vat....he said he won't pay it as that's too much...as I pointed out he wasn't there and hasn't seen the damage so how on earth can he say it's too much??

He's insisting I take it to 'his' garage for repair which I refused so he wants to see the car now....not gonna happen love-i'm not getting into an argument in the street!

Asked him again for his insurance details which he said he is not going to give me....told him he has till 4:30 to ring with details or I will let police deal with it.

SOOOOO p:censored:d off...cheeky git!!

migimoo
30-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Right-it's 5:15 and no call.....time to bring on the thunder!!:D

smurfette
30-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Right-it's 5:15 and no call.....time to bring on the thunder!!:D

Sock it to him girl!!

migimoo
04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Reported it to police but they said it could be weeks before they even ask for a response from the other driver....didn't seem bothered that she'd left the scene and refused to give insurance details....don't get me ranting!!

Rang MY insurance and they've been fab...they have contacted other driver and reported it to his insurers (yes,he was insured!) and we're waiting for a response....as the man on the phone said "he'll probably try to deny involvement but he'll trip himself up because why would she have given you mobile numbers?"

Wish me luck!:thumbsup:

migimoo
15-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Still going thru the slow process with insurance but tried to start my car at Argos on Thursday and it's dead as a dodo....the mechanic says it's the diesel pump:panic: and the damage can be caused by the car being hit or jolted so my insurance company are sending out their mechanic Monday to see if this is true...if so i'll be putting that on the list too as the repair will be approx £2000 and our car's only worth £1500!
Just thankful that we've no xmas shopping left to do.

Hate not having a car though (no courtesy car till Mon at least) 2 morning school runs, 1 nursery one at lunchtime then 2 school runs again at 3pm....all miles away from each other-i've been calling in a LOT of favours this week!

SammyL
15-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I'd definitely be contacting the police.

They left an accident, refused to acknowledge & are trying to be very underhand.

Why happens if they don't actually have insurance? You would prob get nowhere.

I'd be phoning the police definitely, which isn't my usual style. There were children involved & she didn't care!!

It would be classed as a hit & run, leaving scene if an accident, failure to provide insurance details etc

migimoo
15-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I DID report it to the police and they weren't bothered.....said it would be processed and he would get a letter in 2 weeks telling him to provide his insurance details....was shocked that they weren't straight round there for the things you said!

migimoo
27-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Well the other party is denying being involved in any collision...so it's their word against ours basically.

Car has been towed away today finally to be assessed but we've been told it will be written off...i've had no useable car for 2 weeks now and my insurance are still to provide me with any courtesy car.....you can imagine what fun xmas shopping was with no car-although 2 of my mum's offered to take me food shopping which was lovely of them!

We've now got to claim on our own insurance losing 9 years no claims and practically tripling our premium for next year (if moneysupermarket quote is right) whilst trying to take it through the court route....my only 'proof' is why would I have his reg,mobile number and have reported it to police?

I feel like crying I really do...SO frustrated that he's probably going to get away with this-why do we bother having insurance?!

Ours have been absolutely useless...OCTAGON insurance-steer well clear...snotty customer service...on hold for 45 mins...no empathy for my situation or bothering to chase the other driver at all.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get money from the insurance?

loocyloo
28-12-2012, 08:34 PM
no advice, but BIG HUG

i would suggest phoning round a few insurance brokers when looking for new insurance, as i'm sure some will take into account your 9 yrs no claims. plus direct line, and i'm sure a couple of others do not use comparison sites. just a thought .. did you protect your no claims as part of your insurance deal?

xxx

migimoo
28-12-2012, 09:36 PM
No protected no claims:(

Have argued with my insurers that as it was a non-fault accident then it shouldn't affect my no claims but they're just not interested.

On the plus side my hubby's come home with a lovely '03 Renault Espace for me today:clapping:....we had to use all our savings but hopefully we'll get some back from the insurance.

SammyL
29-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Tesco are the cheapest the the moment I find & if you have a club card you get a third off.

Cheapest insurer for my 23yr old brother by £900, my Mum & Dad. My partner is moving to th too.

x