PDA

View Full Version : First Report E-mailed - What to do?

kimnolan87
29-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi,

As some of you know, I had my first graded inspection a couple of weeks ago. It went quite well and the inspector was lovely.

My report was emailed through to me yesterday and the report itself is fine. Except for one or two issues. First one, there is no mention that I have a level 3 in childcare or that I have 9 years experience! If I was a prospective parent reading this, I'd like to know this about a potential childminder - can I ask for this to be included?

And the next thing, which is quite a biggie - I have been informed, and it crops up a couple of times during the report, that I am in breech of the EYFS, because I have a child who speaks English as an additional language but I do not support her learning her first language!!!!!!! I don't understand the notice and reply slip thingy, and I have until tomorrow to put things into place!!!

Now the child in question is 14 months old, her mum and dad are from Ghana, but they want their daughter to learn English!!!! To them, she is English and that is her first language, not an additional one!!!! On the forms, it states English first as language spoken and then Twi!!!!

I have asked her parents to write down some words in Twi for me to use around the room, and I am looking for a dual language book - although this is proving quite difficult!! I just feel that this would be of no benefit to the child at this moment in time! She is just learning a few English words and I can't speak the language, so how on earth would having random words up, support her any more than I am dping now?!

I really don't want this to jepodise my career, as I am absolutely loving this job!!!

Please help - I need to sort it this morning if possible!!!

Xxx

sarah707
29-11-2012, 07:39 AM
If you don't understand the wording Kim, scan and email or type out and pm it to me and I will look at it for you.

It is a requirement of the EYFS 2012 that you support the child's first language - there are ways to do that - I will help if I can.

If there are factual mistakes email Ofsted back and let them know - I don't think you have long to do it. I would ask for my experience and qualifications to be noted on my report if they were missing.

:D

diamond
29-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi

I have a child who's parents speak spanish to him and are quite happy that he learns english with me. I was thinking of putting a few words around in spanish too but if you have any other ideas Sarah then could you let me know too please.:laughing:

sarah707
30-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Hi

I have a child who's parents speak spanish to him and are quite happy that he learns english with me. I was thinking of putting a few words around in spanish too but if you have any other ideas Sarah then could you let me know too please.:laughing:

Spanish is easy! :laughing:

There are lots of Dora the Explorer dual language resources and if anyone you know goes to Spain get them to bring a few books and children's posters etc back.

Another good one is to make a little photo album of things that tell you about the country - paella, ladies dancing in traditional costume etc and add English and Spanish labels underneath - ask parents to help you as well as using a translator.

Hth :D

diamond
01-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks Sarah

I have thought about doing things like that, just not sure how far to take it all without going over the top. The LO is not 2 yet and his speech isn't brilliant so don't want to confuse him too much, but as you suggested just having a few spanish resources around too will be good.

Thank you again :):)