PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers

Bananabrain
27-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Are we allowed to take mindees temperature? Seem to remember being told 'no'
If so, what type have you got/ would recommend?
Thanks

AliceK
27-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I have done in the past. I use a forehead digital one.

xxx

sarah707
27-11-2012, 07:22 PM
On my last First Aid course - about 1 1/2 years ago - we were told we could only use an ear thermometer with throw away card covers for the ear bit.

Hth :D

jackie 7
27-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I want to buy the new one that reads temp without touching them, i think it is infrared, i have a calpol one which i find a pain to use.

rickysmiths
27-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I have never had a thermometer in the house. Not for my own children or minded. The forehead ones are not accurate and we are not trained to take a temp.

If you know the children in your care well you will know if they have a temp and if they are not behaving or looking the way they normally do. The same way i have never had Calpol in the house 'just in case'. If the child has a sudden dangerously high temp then there are other ways to cool them rapidly while you are waiting for the response to the 999 call for expert help and if they are becoming unwell and are developing a temp again you can reduce the temp while the parent or emergency contact are on their way to you to collect.

Samcat
27-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I've an in the ear thermometer that you put a new cover on the end for each child/use. Have had to use it today. It's good in that it takes less than a second to 'beep' and take the reading. Having worked in nurseries where they've had ineffective ear thermometers with useless batteries, head strips that give vague temperature ranges, or worse still, nothing at all, I feel much happier being able to monitor a child properly if I think they are poorly.