PDA

View Full Version : charging for xmas and boxing day

lilliuspillius
27-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Ive just had another childminder querying the fact that I charge for all bank holidays including christmas and boxing day. I think she was really surprised that I charge. Ive been childminding for nearly 8 years and have always charged for ALL bank holidays. IE if your child is due to attend on that day, you will get charged. This is clearly written in my contract and no parent has ever queried it.

The only parents I do not charge are those that have children attending term time only. All other children that attend all year round are charged.

Ive also made it quite clear that if im needed to work on bank holidays i charge double pay, and triple on xmas day.

Do other childminders charge? or am i in the minority?

I do work all year round except for one week in april, one week in October and two weeks in the summer. My setting is open 48 weeks a year.

The other childminder was really surprised and i think quite shocked that I charge?

Part of the reason why i charge is because the parents receive pay for bank holidays, so why shouldn't i?

Im interested to hear your views .....

eddie
27-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't charge for bank holidays although I do tell parents if there are any I am willing/able to work in which case they would be charged at a higher rate. I don't know what others think but I would be surprised if other self employed child minders charged for Christmas day. I do understand the reasoning that parents get paid for bank holidays but then being self employed is different to being an employee.

Ambersmum
27-11-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't charge for any bank holidays as I wouldn't want to work them anyway. I personally wouldn't feel right charging for Boxing Day and Christmas Day as there is no way a parent would send their child to you on those days. But it's your business so do what you feel is right for you and your parents. Am surprised no parents have disputed it so far though.

mushpea
27-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I dont charge for bank holidays but I am prepared to work them so when parents come I tell them if they want me on a bank holiday this will go on the contracts then they pay for them if they want me or not, if they dont put them on the contracts then I wont be avablibe for them.
I dont work christmas or boxing day as I prefer it to be just my children and family however as my children get older and leave home then I may consider working christmas and boxing day plus new years day for an extra rate and again parents would need to put it in their contracts as per bank holidays.
If your prepared to work christmas day then I dont see why you shouldnt charge for it , if you werent prepared to work it then I would think it a bit unfair you charge but we all work differently.

silvermist
27-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi, I dont charge for bank holidays as I dont work them. I would feel really cheeky charging for christmas day and boxing day as I wouldnt be open so not available for work. My rule is if Im closed (because of holidays) there is no charge hth x

marnieb
27-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I dont charge for Bank hols & Xmas as I am not working, or my holidays or any sick days I may take.

That is what being self-employed is....

To put it another way, if you booked a plumber to come and do some work, and on the day he called and cancelled as he was unwell, when he returned at another point to do the work, would you pay him for the original cancelled day.... no, you wouldn't!!!!!!!

migimoo
27-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't charge for any bank holidays as I wouldn't want to work them anyway. I personally wouldn't feel right charging for Boxing Day and Christmas Day as there is no way a parent would send their child to you on those days. But it's your business so do what you feel is right for you and your parents. Am surprised no parents have disputed it so far though.

oooh-i've got one that would!!

I personally only charge for bank holidays if i'm willing to work them....if parents decide to keep LO at home they still pay normal rate,if they bring them to me they pay a higher rate for the day.

ziggy
27-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I dont charge for days when i am closed............bank hols, if i'm sick or on holidays

sorry but i just feel if we are gonna charge we should be available to work but being self employed it is down to personal decision

wendywu
27-11-2012, 10:56 AM
You will find that it is the older minders who charge for BH ( as do i ) because this is what we were advised to do when we trained and by the NCMA at that time.

These are my only paid holidays and i would not change it now. Although we are self employed it is not the same as a true self employed builder who can come and go as they want, decide at the drop of a hat if they want to work that day etc.

Us childminders are tied to quite a tight contract with long working days, unsocial hours no lunch breaks or respite. I think 8 odd days a year paid holiday is well deserved :laughing:

Daisy De
27-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I used to charge for bank holidays, although never for christmas day, boxing day or new years day.

However, being self-employed I don't feel right charging for any bank holidays anymore as I am not prepared to work them. If you are prepared to work, then I can see normal pay if the children don't come and an enhanced rate if they do would seem reasonable.

My philosophy is if my setting is open you pay if it isn't you don't. Makes everything simple and stops me having to justify why a self-employed person would charge when they don't work.

hectors house
27-11-2012, 11:03 AM
You will find that it is the older minders who charge for BH ( as do i ) because this is what we were advised to do when we trained and by the NCMA at that time.

These are my only paid holidays and i would not change it now. Although we are self employed it is not the same as a true self employed builder who can come and go as they want, decide at the drop of a hat if they want to work that day etc.

Us childminders are tied to quite a tight contract with long working days, unsocial hours no lunch breaks or respite. I think 8 odd days a year paid holiday is well deserved :laughing:

I don't charge for bank holidays - but wish I had the guts to change my charging policies so that I did - I think it is personal preference and if the parents agree with it that is fine - I have given out the dates on when I am working over Xmas and told them to let me know by end of this week if they want to pay half fee for not coming or else if will be full fee. One dad is off work and although his child will be only child here has said she will be coming as he doesn't see why he should have to pay half fee for nothing!

rickysmiths
27-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Ive just had another childminder querying the fact that I charge for all bank holidays including christmas and boxing day. I think she was really surprised that I charge. Ive been childminding for nearly 8 years and have always charged for ALL bank holidays. IE if your child is due to attend on that day, you will get charged. This is clearly written in my contract and no parent has ever queried it.

The only parents I do not charge are those that have children attending term time only. All other children that attend all year round are charged.

Ive also made it quite clear that if im needed to work on bank holidays i charge double pay, and triple on xmas day.

Do other childminders charge? or am i in the minority?

I do work all year round except for one week in april, one week in October and two weeks in the summer. My setting is open 48 weeks a year.

The other childminder was really surprised and i think quite shocked that I charge?

Part of the reason why i charge is because the parents receive pay for bank holidays, so why shouldn't i?

Im interested to hear your views .....

No you are not the only one. I am available to work all Bank Holidays I require 4 weeks written notice if they need care and I charge double fee except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years day and Easter Monday which I would charge triple fee for. If they don't need my care and a BH falls on a contracted day they pay normal fee for the day as they have chosen not to use it.

I then take 5 weeks at half pay so they are paying for 49.5 weeks a year and so I getting more unpaid time than the average Day Nursery that will charge for at least 51 if not 52 weeks per year. If the parent takes their holiday at the same time as me then they gain because they don't pay for additional care if they don't they still pay full fee and that id their choice. All my parents at the moment have a min of six weeks holiday a year so it shouldn't be a problem to organize their holiday. I give my dates at the beginning of the year so they have loads of notice.

lilliuspillius
27-11-2012, 11:32 AM
thank you for everyones views. I guess it is all down to personal preference. Ive always charged, and will continue to do so. Ive never had it queried so far.

I guess we all run our businesses differently, but to suit ourselves.

Mouse
27-11-2012, 11:37 AM
thank you for everyones views. I guess it is all down to personal preference. Ive always charged, and will continue to do so. Ive never had it queried so far.

I guess we all run our businesses differently, but to suit ourselves.

Exactly! It's between you & the parents what you charge, not bewteen you and any other cm who might query it!

I don't charge for my holiday time. I always take Christmas & New Year off, so don't charge for those bank holidays. All other bank holidays I am willing to work, so charge usual fee if children don't attend, double fee if they do. That's what works for me & my parents, so that's what I stick to :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
27-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Each to their own - if it works and your parents are happy that's all that matter :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
27-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I have always charged for BH including the Christmas ones and never had a parent query it. My parents are more than welcome to send their children, they are after all part of the family in my house but there would be a triple fee charge.:thumbsup:

Carol xx

vdubnut
27-11-2012, 12:55 PM
If your open then fair enough but I would not charge when shut as that's just daylight robbery in my opinion .

nikki thomson
27-11-2012, 01:14 PM
oooh-i've got one that would!!

I personally only charge for bank holidays if i'm willing to work them....if parents decide to keep LO at home they still pay normal rate,if they bring them to me they pay a higher rate for the day.

I charge for the bank holiday Mondays through the year if it falls on a week when I have lo on a mon as it varies, as I'm happy to work those but the Christmas new year ones I charge 50% which is my holiday rate on either side as there's no way no matter how desperate a parent was would I work Christmas Day, my hubby would have sense of humour failure for a start and I'm not sharing the day by working. X

barbarella68
27-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I charge and will continue to do so.I do work them if necessary but charge double. I do not work Xmas day/boxing day.So you are not alone.
I have been childminding 7 years and have always charged.Nobody has ever queried it.

vals
27-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I have been minding for 17 years, I have never charged for a bank holiday as I am closed. A friend used to charge and was shocked when a parent arrived to drop off their child on a bank holiday. She had to say yes, but after that stopped charging.

k1rstie
27-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Playing devils advocate here. I can see it from both sides.

I used to work in a supermarket (DH still does). Nowa days the bank holidays are just normal working days (they may get extra holidays at other times).
When working, I used to be upset having to pay my childminder for the day (even when she would not work it), and then having to find a family member to have daughter that day, and I did not actually get paid any more. I did pay it, and never mentioned it to she.

Since then, I would always advise anyone working in similar occupations to think about the bank holidays before speaking to any childminders, so that they were aware of what their working arrangements would be, and then they could have a proper discussion with childminder.

A part-time parent who just works 2 days per week - for example just mondays and fridays, would have all the bank holiday mondays, good friday plus any that move days such as christmas day, boxing day, new years day etc.

But the bottom line is that we are all self employed, and all run our businesses how we want.

AgentTink
27-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I do charge for them as I am willing to work them, however if a parent brings their child it is double fee, and must be booked 4 weeks in advance.

I have in my contract that I do not charge for my holidays, and will normally take 3 weeks a year, however I do have a Christmas shut down from the 22nd December until the day after New Years Day, and this time will be charged at full contracted hours for that period.

I make this very clear in all my leaflets and always verbally discuss this with each parent at the time of signing contracts, and i also make sure it is noted on the holiday list that each parent receives as full payment required.

This has not caused me any problems, and since I am self-employed I feel that it is my choice. This works for me and my families, I think mainly because I only take on part timers (2 - 3 days each), and at present time I don't work Mondays and Fridays, so none of my families are too impacted by it, and none of them are impacted by the other bank holidays throughout the year.

MrsP2C
27-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I charge for all bank holidays except Christmas, Boxing Day & Nyd as I'm not prepared to work on these days. One of my parents is a nurse & one of her days is a Monday & Friday so I do work most b/hols but don't mind as it's only 1 extra child that my children love having and I charge £9/hr on b/hols so it's well worth it.

lilac_dragon
27-11-2012, 05:51 PM

I totally agree, and Yes I'm one of the older minders!
I work a fair few Bank Hols, and always have as I look after Police Officers children, and have worked for one Detective Sergeant (widower) who had to work on Boxing Day. I charged double fee for these days as they are "unsocial", as was stated in my contract and recognised and agreed by the families using me. I have done the same for a BBC Newsreader and for nursing staff, all of whom have had to work. They were grateful to find someone who accepted that THEY worked unsocial hours and still needed their children to be cared for!!

Chimps Childminding
27-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't charge for BH as I don't want to work them!! I also don't charge for my holidays as I know at least 2 of my parents use another cm if I am off so in theory would be paying twice!!

Everyone has their own way of doing things there is no right or wrong way!!

Tatjana
27-11-2012, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=vdubnut;1184425]If your open then fair enough but I would not charge when shut as that's just daylight robbery in my opinion .[/QUOT

No it's not, it's a signed contract that the parents agree to, no one forces them to sign.

It's a small world
27-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't charge B/H but have it in my contract if they really need me I'm willing to work but need advance notice and fees are higher than usual. I don't charge Xmas Day or Boxing Day as I know at least one parent would send child because they have to pay. Or kick up a stink about having to pay when child won't attend !!!

LittleLegsCM
27-11-2012, 08:18 PM

I was told exactly the same thing when I originally went for my pre-briefing to become a CM only in May '11! The person hosting had been a CM herself for years & years, had then moved onto PSLA and made a point on more than one occasion during the meeting to tell everyone to charge for BH's & even do some sort of charge for their own holidays! From that day I decided to do 1/2 & 1/2 for holidays but BHs are charged at the normal rate (unless its not normally a contracted day) and if they send LO its double rate. I only have one family that would have been here over christmas but they booked it as holiday themself so xmas & boxing day havent even been questioned.

karensmart4
27-11-2012, 08:35 PM
As others have said, each to their own, if it works for you and you're full so be it :thumbsup:

Personally I'm open 51 weeks a year and close over Christmas, I am CLOSED therefore I don't charge.

( I work with another minder, an assistant and an ad-hoc assistant so can take a holiday and stay open if you're wondering about the 51 weeks :))

jackie 7
27-11-2012, 10:13 PM
i charge 1/2 for bank hols and my hols. if they go to nursery they charge full for 51 weeks and charge more. When I joined ncma 3 years ago they said we should. all my parents pay and no complaint.

rickysmiths
27-11-2012, 10:31 PM
i charge 1/2 for bank hols and my hols. if they go to nursery they charge full for 51 weeks and charge more. When I joined ncma 3 years ago they said we should. all my parents pay and no complaint.

NCMA have actually recommended full fee for the cms holidays for about 10 years now.

They also recommended you have 4 full paid Training Days a year as well.

singingcactus
28-11-2012, 06:44 AM
It is up to you what you want to ask parents to pay for really. I don't charge, and never have in my 20 years pf doing this, for any bank holidays. I don't work them, so don't feel that i should charge. I don't actually know any parents on a wage who routinely get paid for bank holidays when not working them, and rarely get extra pay when they do work them. A salaried parent would still get the same income of course, but would also probably be expected to work, so would be worse off with having to find double childcare fees on these days.